View Diary: Writing a Resume That’ll Make You Look Good (210 comments)

•  Best add-on to a good resume (7+ / 0-)

is a solid social network.  No matter how great your resume looks, what really matters is where it ends up in the recruiter and/or hiring manager's stack.

And that means everyone you know or have ever known.  Everyone.  All former schoolmates from K through high school/college.  Everyone you've ever worked with, from the ex-bosses all the way down to the guy who hosed down the parking lot at night.  Every close and distant relative on Earth that you have.  Neighbors and acquaintances of all types.  Anyone whose business card is still in your possession (wallet, old Rolodex, glove box, etc.)  Get them all linked on Facebook, Twitter or best of all, LinkedIn.

I know that this may come as obvious to most in this day and age, but as a hiring manager myself, I can tell you that a referral will go to the top of my list for any open position that I have.  And that's probably the same for just any other hiring employer.

Think about it.  Your the hiring manager and have hundreds of resumes to read through, even if you have smart software that can do keyword searches and dissect data to narrow candidates down.  But an associate or co-worker comes to you and recommends someone to you as a good fit for the job.  Chances are good that that referral will go to the top of the pile.  This of course doesn't mean that the job will go to that person, but they get higher priority out of the gate above everyone else at that point.  So the more you network, the better shot that you will have at being the resume that hits the stack at or near the top.

Just my $0.02.

"I would like to invite you and your ACORN pimp to my New Black Panther Party."

by PaulD on Mon Jun 27, 2011 at 09:17:13 AM PDT

•  You're right, but it's still wrong... (2+ / 0-)
      Lujane, OHdog

I can't tell you the number of times I see good candidates passed over because the daughter or son of someone's "friend" had their resume pushed onto a stack of candidates.

More often than not, these people were not even qualified and just wasted our time and theirs.

People should not get jobs because of their "connections."  They should get jobs because they are the best qualified for the job or they bring something to the organization that others do not.

•  As I mentioned... (1+ / 0-)
        Lujane

in my earlier post:

In no way do I support nepotism or favoritism in hiring.  I was only referring to the selection process and how someone can get their foot in the door much easier that just being a "number" or a face in the crowd.

You may disagree on a philosophical level, but the "old boys network" and the buddy system of hiring and promotion has been around for decades and beyond.

"I would like to invite you and your ACORN pimp to my New Black Panther Party."

by PaulD on Mon Jun 27, 2011 at 09:49:53 AM PDT

•  Because people like you promote it... (1+ / 0-)
          OHdog

If people did their fucking job correctly and fairly evaluated candidates who apply, instead of relying on others to funnel them their "friends," then maybe that "old boys network" wouldn't be so powerful an influence.

Maybe more women and immigrants could get better jobs and not have to suffer because they are "nothing but a face in the crowd."

What disgusting bullshit.

•  Thanks for confirming (2+ / 0-)
      David Kroning II, OHdog

it is who you know not what you know that counts.

•  Really, when did I say that? (0+ / 0-)

Even if you do get your resume at a higher spot via a referral, you may still get passed over.  And someone may choose to refer a friend or acquaintance regardless, just to help a friend or relative who is about to lose their house or end up in dire straits.

But noooo, we can't have that, because according to some people, that's "disgusting bullshit" that's sexist and anti-immigrant.  And I never mentioned that this is something that only white males should do.  Yet I'm sure that many of us, regardless of ethnicity or gender, have done something like this for someone we know at some point in our careers.  Even before social media existed.

So thanks for the baseless ad hominem attacks.

"I would like to invite you and your ACORN pimp to my New Black Panther Party."

by PaulD on Mon Jun 27, 2011 at 12:05:14 PM PDT

•  The more positions that are filled based on (1+ / 0-)
          David Kroning II

networking rather then pure merit, the fewer minorities are hired into what is still a white business world. And I have been to enogh business social functions with enough alcohol to lower the usual filters to hear anti-Black, anti-Semetic, anti-Hispanic hate to make me want to barf.  Also it dangerous to be non-Christian (atheist, agnostic, etc even if you keep quiet about it) and some people will not only discriminate but actively cause trouble for those with "liberal" posiitions like belief in climate change, evolution, and that Al Gore really did help commercialize the Internet.

I don't dislike all conservatives... mainly just the ones that vote Republican.

by OHdog on Mon Jun 27, 2011 at 01:32:05 PM PDT

•  How about a balance of the two? (1+ / 0-)
            efrenzy

I'll say this one more time until it sticks.

I never talked about filling positions based on networking.  Read my prior posts from start to finish and you will see that.  I suggested networking as a means of gaining access to job opportunities that may otherwise prove elusive if you're relying on what you see at the unemployment office, on Internet job boards at and those cattle-like job fairs.  This is not exclusive to any part of any class or ethnicity, anyone can do it.

If you were about to lose your house or the ability to feed your children, and you found out that your brother works for a construction company that had an open position, would you turn down an interview (not the JOB, an interview) because of this principle that seems to be so highly regarded by some?

"I would like to invite you and your ACORN pimp to my New Black Panther Party."

by PaulD on Mon Jun 27, 2011 at 05:06:19 PM PDT

•  However (0+ / 0-)

be wary of those sites that let you post your resume for free saying that employers look at their site to find applicants. Or be careful of which of those sites you use.

My debit card was hacked, and the hacker used my card to buy two batches of email lists bought from one of those sites. They get people to post their contact info, and then sell that info in batches to spammers and junk mailers.

I caught it right away, and my bank didn't charge me for it.

"If religion is the opiate of the masses, then fundamentalism is the amphetamine." Miz Vittitow

by MillieNeon on Mon Jun 27, 2011 at 10:52:41 AM PDT

•  Good point (0+ / 0-)

Never use Craigslist or free sites, best to stick with LinkedIn or TheLadders or some reputable site with a wide user base.

And those "robo-fax" services that distribute your resume with pre-written cover letters have no ROI and we get them at my office all the time.  I'm sure that they have a single-digit return rate, and that's just for ending up in someone's inbox.

"I would like to invite you and your ACORN pimp to my New Black Panther Party."

by PaulD on Mon Jun 27, 2011 at 12:07:38 PM PDT