View Diary: Rick Perry Meets With Koch Brothers (108 comments)

•  and please let's do something about the... (15+ / 0-)

... I'm not going to vote for Obama crowd.

Each one of them is another vote for Sick Rick.

Whether they know it or not, and whether they like it or not.

Per Taoism:  not-doing is doing.

•  A request (13+ / 0-)

and I ask this respectfully.

Can't we just have fun tearing down a rethug and address other issues when they present themselves?

peace

I'm an ass, my father was an ass as was his father before him. This has no bearing on the fact that I am correct.

by LaEscapee on Tue Jun 28, 2011 at 11:38:00 AM PDT

•  There will NEVER be another (0+ / 0-)

republican president from Texas.

That's all it takes, really...pressure and time.

by Flyswatterbanjo on Tue Jun 28, 2011 at 12:13:43 PM PDT

•  No it isn't (1+ / 0-)
      Maikeru Ronin

Whether you know it or not, and whether you like it or not.

And if you think you can "do something about" me, get busy.

•  and whether you know it or not... (0+ / 0-)

... that kind of posting is virtually identical with what Republican spies and trolls produce in large quantities.

Be careful about the company you keep, even if you don't think you're keeping company with them, some day they might decide to keep you.

BTW, if your not-doing has its not-unintended effect, I'd suggest thinking of a new userID or being prepared to deal with a tsunami of scathing remarks the day after election day.

•  Is that an accusation that I'm a "spy" or "troll"? (1+ / 0-)
          Eddie L

Or a Republican? I "keep company" with none of the above. I'm a registered California Democrat, and can prove that to the PTB at DK.

I don't respond to threats. If you're making an accusation, say so, and provide proof. Otherwise, cram it.

•  a cold virus doesn't care whether you want... (0+ / 0-)

.... to spread it or not, when you sneeze in someone's face.  It sees an opportunity to spread, and it does.  Because that's what viruses do.  Whether you want them to or not.

Republican viruses work the same way.

You don't have to "want" to spread Republican viruses any more than you have to "want" to spread cold viruses.  They spread because that's what viruses do.

If "a tsunami of scathing criticism" is what you call a threat, I'd hate to see how you react to a real emergency, like a tornado or a hurricane or an earthquake or even a snow storm.

In any case it's a prediction.  Want to place a bet on that?  Subtracting out, of course, any "scathing criticism" I might happen to level, and even any threads in which I happen to appear!

If you believe in your position, you'll gladly wager up to the proverbial legal limit.  But a coupon for one large pizza will do, my favorites are Arinell's in Berkeley and Zachary's in Oakland, let me know your favorites and we're on.  Loser pays and leaves coupon at the counter for winner to pick up using their dKos userID whenever convenient.

As for accusations, I'm accusing you of not covering your mouth when you sneeze.

Something similar happens with stomach bugs.  That's why public bathrooms in England are posted with signs saying "Now wash your hands."  At first, the victorian prudes were all aghast at even the suggestion of posting those signs, because, well, it was offensive! and insulting! and unspeakable!  A few more epidemics later and the signs went up, and then the infection rate went down.

Sanitation, vaccination, civilization!

•  Thanks for the "mental hygiene" lecture (0+ / 0-)

Thoughts aren't viruses. Expressing them is what this site is all about.

The only Republican virus here is the one you're carrying: The idea that nobody may withhold his vote for a politician of his own party no matter what he thinks of that politician's policies. Reagan's "11th commandment" for Rethugs, as I remember.

Thanks awfully for the pizza offer, but I'll keep on thinking for myself and voting the way I decide.

•  Not quite. (3+ / 0-)
      willibro, Maikeru Ronin, LaEscapee

I may or may not vote for Obama or write-in vote for Mickey Mouse or Pluto, and it will mean nothing since Texas is a winner-take-all state and Herr Perry will have a lock on its 38 electoral votes.

"Double, double, toile and trouble; Fire burne, and Cauldron bubble... By the pricking of my Thumbes, Something wicked this way comes": Republicans Willkommen auf das Vierte Reich! Sie Angelegenheit nicht mehr.

by Bluefin on Tue Jun 28, 2011 at 01:29:13 PM PDT

•  OK, that's a viable exception. (1+ / 0-)
        Bluefin

If it's Scary Perry, then Texas progressives should all write in something.  They should all write in the same something so the total adds up to enough to make the media.

Mickey Mouse is funny but I'd suggest Ricky Rat or Lickey Louse or something that Big Media don't have a trademark on.

And Texas progressives should probably vaccinate themselves from the present controversy by using a sig to the effect of "I'm in Texas, Perry's going to take our state, so I'm voting for Ricky Rat!"  That will also help publicize the Ricky Rat campaign.

•  Reminds me of the Nader strategy (2+ / 0-)
          Bluefin, shaharazade

Democrats would vote for Nader in the safe republican and safe democratic states and vote for Gore in the close ones.  Just saying.  I remember.

•  I think that there was even a clearinghouse for (1+ / 0-)
            shaharazade

vote trading. Not sure if it was legal though.

by Bluefin on Tue Jun 28, 2011 at 03:14:40 PM PDT

•  yeah me too. (0+ / 0-)

I remember the day the news of the SC decision came in, and remember what I was doing when I heard the news, same as for 9/11.

Driving into San Francisco getting off the Fremont Street offramp to go to a client site.  Heard news on KCBS.  Immediate reaction, out loud, "shit, game over, end of the world."  Referring to the effect of a high-probability 8 years of inaction on climate change when scientists said we had maybe a decade to turn it around.

Now they've given us another decade.  I suspect they're saying that to try to encourage some kind of action because anything is better than nothing and each additional degree celsius avoided is another roughly 1.25 billion humans who get to live.  Or to put it differently, each added degree celsius = roughly 1.25 billion more people dying of the consequences.

So yeah, the last time was already "the end of the world as we know it," and another Republican victory would seal our fate.  That's what's at stake.  All those Nader voters IMHO should be put on a melting iceberg at the North Pole to watch the polar bears drown.

But did Bush lose Texas in 2000 and 2004?  I think that's as safe as it gets: the candidate's home state.

Unless the candidate's home state voters are so fed up with the candidate that they could just throw up.  In which case every vote counts like your life depends on it.  Because it does.

•  Given the complete dominance of state (1+ / 0-)
          G2geek

government by the rescummies, write-in votes for Rat Rick would be counted for Perry just to pile on.
          Agree that we might as well settle on a good write-in proxy name, maybe somebody can have a naming contest (but the rescummies would hijack it).

by Bluefin on Tue Jun 28, 2011 at 03:20:45 PM PDT

•  How about earning their votes? (1+ / 0-)
      LaEscapee

What a novel idea!

AKA Big Tex *** If Barack Obama is the only adult in the room, then it must be his fault that the drapes are on fire and the cat's been shaved.

by Maikeru Ronin on Tue Jun 28, 2011 at 02:32:36 PM PDT

•  by doing what? (0+ / 0-)

What can Obama do to earn progressive votes?  Officiate at a mass gay wedding in Manhattan?   As if repealing DADT and getting the ball rolling in the states wasn't enough.

Or let me put it slightly differently.

IMHO justice would be for Geithner and the rest of the Goldman Gang to be working heavy construction outdoors for the rest of their lives, for non-union wages.

IMHO justice would be John Yoo the Torture Man to be sentenced to watch Amnesty International videos every day before every meal.

IMHO we should have enacted a stiff carbon tax, a progressive income tax topping out at 100% with no loopholes, a sales tax on legalized marijuana, and reduced the income tax to 1% for anyone making less than $100k/year.

IMHO we should have issued a national education curriculum with ferocious focus on science and math including probability & statistics.

I can add a few more things to that list that would be highly unpopular around here such as a one-child-per-family policy via financial incentives that become stiff penalties at exponential growth levels, this being the way to enable opening the doors to more immigration without getting net population growth.

And Single Payer... let's just say I personally have a stake in that one, personal details omitted to protect privacy.

Instead we got ...something like "centrism."  But that's a far sight better than fundamentalist sharia and two more Clarence Thomases or Antonin Scalias etc. etc. on the Supreme Court, the proverbial gift that keeps on taking.

So it's "hold your nose and vote for the lesser of two evils" for those who want to think of it that way.

For me it's support the smart guy who believes in science, and help him "get in touch with his inner progressive."

And look at it this way: anyone who is typically depicted by the right-wingers as a caricatured black figure at the end of a noose in a lynch mob, has to be doing something right, aside from merely breaking the race barrier to the White House.

Oh, and one more thing: when was the last time you heard a President say "and atheists" in his enumeration of American religious diversity...?   I'm sure that brought a few more rabid righties to the proverbial lynch mob too.

So it goes, in these opening decades of what we were all told when we were kids, was "The Future."

•  Voting for the lesser of two evils (0+ / 0-)

is a sure way of continuing to be given two evils to choose from. This is a losing strategy, and I reject it.

By the way, not to sidetrack the discussion, but while it's great that President Obama has thrown a symbolic bone or two to those of us who are non-believers, he's negated what little goodwill he might have been entitled to for those gestures by, among other things, maintaining George Bush's unconstitutional Office of Faith-Based Initiatives, and by referring to marriage as a "sacred union" in which "god is in the mix." In any event, mentioning us as an afterthought in a long list of people who are entitled to participate in America's religious diversity doesn't really impress me that much. I'd say it's the absolute least we should expect from someone who is sworn to uphold the First Amendment, and I certainly don't agree that it requires all that much in the way of political courage. When I see a President appointing openly atheist people to prominent positions in his administration, or accepting one as a running mate, then I'll be impressed. When I see a President taking a pass on the yearly ritual of issuing a proclamation on National Prayer Day encouraging Americans to pray, and observing the National Day of Reason instead, then I'll be impressed. When I hear a President speaking out forcefully against school prayer, or inappropriate religious displays on public property, or against the words "under god" in the pledge, or "in god we trust" on our currency and in our national motto, then I'll be impressed.

by Maikeru Ronin on Tue Jun 28, 2011 at 07:31:32 PM PDT

•  Look.....that kind of thinking accomplishes (1+ / 0-)
            G2geek

nothing in moving America forward.   We may be slower with the lesser of two evils but we still exist.  The other evil will kill us all.    Just vote....We have bigger issues than prayer in school and the pledge of allegience.  We got people starving and hurting.....Praying or not praying is not at the top of my list of priorities for moving America to a better place.  That is really IMO a losing strategy all the way around but when people act on their own agendas we all pay.    Everybody expected Obama to be some magic Genie...He has only accomplished as much as he was allowed.  Obama could not deliver all he wants or wanted to and neither could Franken, Grayson or anyone else.  They are afterall President of All the people..at least Democratic presidents are..Republicans answer to the Corporate whores.

We the People have to make a difference and the Change.....Just do it ! http://unitedveterans.aimoo.com/

by Vetwife on Tue Jun 28, 2011 at 10:00:43 PM PDT

•  It's not that we're moving slower, (0+ / 0-)

it's that we're moving in the wrong direction. As for Obama, I don't buy this meme that he's the good guy and he'd be doing all this wonderful stuff if only he were "allowed" to, but if he really is as constrained as some of you want to believe he is, then he shouldn't have made a bunch of promises that he couldn't keep. That said, the problem with Obama isn't just that he isn't doing stuff that he should be, but that he's also doing things he shouldn't, and that he promised not to. Like his illegal war in Libya, or his assertion of the right to order the assassination of American citizens. I am voting, I'm just not voting for one of the two evils that I'm being told I'm limited to.

By the way, maybe my rights and dignity as a nonbeliever aren't that big of an issue to you, but they are to me. I'm not asking our Christian President to make a priority of them, because I know by now that doing so would be a complete waste of time, but I think it's insulting to hear someone suggest that I as a nonbeliever should be overwhelmed with gratitude simply because Obama made some throwaway mention of atheists in one of his speeches. In any event, if we can push for LGBT rights and for the economic interests of the working class at the same time, then I think we can push for the rights of nonbelievers at the same time too.

by Maikeru Ronin on Tue Jun 28, 2011 at 10:38:44 PM PDT

•  diagnosis: chronic "against" syndrome. (0+ / 0-)

"Throw-away line" about atheists?   I dare you, I fucking dare you, to find ANY mention of atheists by ANY president in living memory.

When you see a president appointing an atheist as Secretary of State and another as Secretary of Education, you'll find some other "reason" to be all huffy and stuffy about them.

So you've just passed the diagnostic interview with flying colors.  You've got chronic "against" syndrome, which is a persistent sense of being stubbornly angry regardless of what actually happens in the world around you.

Back in the day, we used to call it "having a burr up one's bottom."   Now it's supposed to be a psychiatric condition so you're not at fault for it.

Some day there'll be a cure.

Meanwhile, enjoy eight years of President Perry the Terribly Scary, and I hope you still have a roof over your head and food on your table by the time it's over.

•  Diagnosis: Hope-itis (0+ / 0-)

Don't worry, you'll get four more years of your Potemkin Progressive. And when they they take their knives to SS and Medicare and raise the retirement age, he'll spew out his usual bullshit about compromise, and how not everyone got what they wanted, and he'll sign it into law, and you'll cheer for him as he does it. Because you're an easy mark, and that's what easy marks do. And when people like me point out to you that you're getting screwed again, if we still bother to waste our breath by then, you'll come up with some new, cute way to mock us for not being as gullible as you've chosen to be.

By the way, I don't need to wait for Rick Perry to worry about the roof over my head and the food on my table. I'm one of those 14 million unemployed that The Most Progressive President In My Lifetime! hasn't gotten around to caring about yet.

by Maikeru Ronin on Wed Jun 29, 2011 at 01:09:18 AM PDT

•  And yes, I called it a throwaway line. (0+ / 0-)

Because it was completely insincere and because it amounted to absolutely nothing. Point to something tangible he's done for non-believers, or to advance church-state separation. His words are meaningless. As for what I would do if a President appointed an atheist to his cabinet, I guess we'll have to wait until we have a President who has the balls to do so to find out, won't we?

by Maikeru Ronin on Wed Jun 29, 2011 at 01:13:09 AM PDT

•  Enough with (0+ / 0-)

the enjoy Bachman, Palin, Perry, Huckabee, or any other terribly frightening pols.  People do not like being brow beaten, it makes them dig their heels in. As for food on my table and a roof over my head, it's not like this Democratic administration, will do a damn thing to help anyone. Why not stop treating those of us here as though we were Republican trolls or idiots. Were not responsible for this FUBAR mess.

Running around with your hair on fire telling me that I better vote for Goldman Sacks or GE and not the Koch Bros. kind of takes the fear right out of the equation. I don't know how were going to message a Democratic administration that refuses to fight the very things your rightfully raving about but putting the frighteners on people when our side is just another brand of the same shit doesn't do the trick. It's insulting. Tell me something new.

I guess as I don't live in Texas, no offense to sane  Texans, I don't really think that Perry is going to be the Republican's nominee. You never know these days  however and if he is the Democrat's better have something to offer then Fear and Terribly Scary. What's scary to most people I know is that this is our choice.

As we write here our party is busy haggling over what they are going to cut from the 'safety net' installing Betrayus the torture advocate as the CIA head, and just finished sending it lawyers to stop law suits against polluters like the koch Bros. who are burning up the world.

This dairy provides action to stop Perry before it gets to the point where he is our choice. It offers something positive to do for activists. You might want to back off with the hysterical blaming and berating those of us who are well aware of our dire circumstances. We all do not want Perry in the WH regardless of how we feel about voting for Obama. Your rubbling salt on a wound.