View Diary: The Most Incredible Video of the Libyan Revolution (95 comments)

•  While I agree with everything you say. . . (4+ / 0-)
    Lawrence, ferg, Pozzo, raistuumum

but I do not dismiss the term rebel.  There have been made heroic rebel movements.  Our Revolution was a rebellion and we were called rebels.  I do not hink it is a slur against the Libyans.

The definition of rebellion is: open, organized, and armed resistance to one's government or ruler.

I think that is the case here.  As the people of Libya seize more territory from Gaddafi and take over services, the rebels more and more become a government as we were.

I just don't see it as a slur.

"Now we are engaged in a great civil war testing whether that nation or any nation so conceived and so dedicated can long endure."

by nklein on Tue Jun 28, 2011 at 01:51:54 PM PDT

•  OK. (1+ / 0-)
      raistuumum

I accept your explanation.  :)

For some reason the term just rubs me wrong.  Maybe because alot of Libyans don't like it.

"A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle" - Mohammed Nabbous, R.I.P.

by Lawrence on Tue Jun 28, 2011 at 02:25:58 PM PDT

•  I know they don't, but they don't have (2+ / 0-)
        Lawrence, raistuumum

a native understanding of English and thus don't know the connotations.  The good guys in Star Wars were rebels.  Many still have a special place in their heart for Johnny Reb.  So that is why I think that its like fighting the tide to oppose its use.  Because we as Americans like to root for the underdog.

by nklein on Tue Jun 28, 2011 at 02:41:05 PM PDT

•  Hm, maybe it's because I used to live in the South (1+ / 0-)
          raistuumum

and the word rebel has a less savoury connotation for me.

"A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle" - Mohammed Nabbous, R.I.P.

by Lawrence on Tue Jun 28, 2011 at 02:42:34 PM PDT

•  Really? (1+ / 0-)
            raistuumum

I Have family that lives in Summerville, SC near Charleston.  And when I went to visit them the whole city is all about the Civil War.  Maybe that's just because it was the heart of the Confederacy.

Then again, for many in the South who were victimized by or saw injustice done with the stars and bars staring at you I can understand that.

by nklein on Tue Jun 28, 2011 at 02:57:24 PM PDT

•  I think the fact that all the racist rednecks just (2+ / 0-)
              nklein, raistuumum

loved their "rebel flags" is what gives the term rebel a negative connotation in my mind.

I lived in the South, but unlike many there was never a fan of the Confederacy.

"A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle" - Mohammed Nabbous, R.I.P.

by Lawrence on Tue Jun 28, 2011 at 03:03:46 PM PDT

•  Yeah. I think I made that connection sometime . . (2+ / 0-)
                Lawrence, raistuumum

in the middle of my comment.  That' swhat I was trying to say in the last sentence.  BTW, I really wish that this would get on the reclist.  It is such a great expression of people power.

by nklein on Tue Jun 28, 2011 at 03:26:14 PM PDT