View Diary: The Most Incredible Video of the Libyan Revolution (95 comments)

•  The problem is that term and question was (0+ / 0-)

used extensively toward republicans, redstaters, and conservatives who supported Bush and his wars.  Isn't what is good for the goose good for the gander?
    And no, my opposition to war is far from reflexive.  I've studied my ass off the last four years to learn as much as I can about wars, foreign policies, imperialism, geopolitics, etc.
    I have alot to learn yet, but my knowledge level is certainly above 90% of all Americans when it comes to this area.  Maybe you're is too.
    But I won't accept the calling of my antiwar opinions reflexive, that's just not true.

S.A.W. 2011 STOP ALL WARS "The Global War on Terror is a fabrication to justify imperialism."

by BigAlinWashSt on Tue Jun 28, 2011 at 02:28:12 PM PDT

•  You have to understand that Bush and his cabal (3+ / 0-)
      BigAlinWashSt, nklein, raistuumum

were actual chickenhawks, who either avoided service or got cushy NG jobs during the draft.

And then they turned around and ordered two invasions involving massive numbers of boots on the ground, one of which was extremely controversial even amongst allies, and illegal to boot.

The situations here are not even close to comparable.

nklein, joe from lowell, and so very many other liberals are advocating for a limited intervention to help a people free themselves and lay claim to their own country.

The Arab Spring is about people power, as is the Libyan Revolution.  That's why the video in this diary is so important, as it shows the extent and popularity of the uprising in Libya.

As a liberal, I can't help but support the striving of these people to attain their freedom.

"A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle" - Mohammed Nabbous, R.I.P.

by Lawrence on Tue Jun 28, 2011 at 02:41:11 PM PDT

•  Understand Lawrence. As I tried to explain to MB (0+ / 0-)

I'm not an anti-interventionist or a libertarian antiwar person, I'm a liberal also.  But I simply do not believe the humanitarian rationale for this action.
        Thats not saying the Libyan people don't want help or need help, it's just saying I believe the NATO action has a nefarious agenda that could turn out worse for the Libyan people as a whole and the entire African continent.
        I think there are better ways to go about either getting rid of Gaddifi or making him change.
        And I think we have a worse war criminal walking the streets of Texas, George W. Bush.

by BigAlinWashSt on Tue Jun 28, 2011 at 02:52:37 PM PDT

•  There was no other way to get rid of Gaddafi. (2+ / 0-)
          BigAlinWashSt, raistuumum

That guy will do anything to hang on to power, as he's demonstrated over and over again.  He declares ceasefires, then shells cities.  He continually says one thing, then does another.  And tbh., he's obviously just not all there anymore either and suffers from a severe form of narcissism.

I'd be cautious about seeing bogeymen around every corner with this intervention in Libya.  NATO is not the evil empire of Star Wars, but actually consists of a fairly diverse group of mostly democratic and liberal nations.  Do the nations involved in this also have their own motives? Yes.  Does it mean that these motives are always nefarious?  No.

That NATO is not a monolithic block can be seen in the fact that quite a few members strongly resisted participating in the Iraq War, despite tremendous amounts of pressure being brought to bear on them by Bush/Cheney.

"A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle" - Mohammed Nabbous, R.I.P.

by Lawrence on Tue Jun 28, 2011 at 03:01:00 PM PDT

•  Cautious and hope for the best. Better to (1+ / 0-)
            Lawrence

discuss and debate than to watch American Idol tho. :)  Sometimes we need to give ourselves a little credit even when we don't agree on things.

by BigAlinWashSt on Tue Jun 28, 2011 at 03:08:40 PM PDT

•  Then please don't call people chickenhawks then. (2+ / 0-)
      BigAlinWashSt, raistuumum

As I said, it is an entirely legitimate policy preference to support NATO's operation in Libya.  When you call people chickenhawks, you insult the poster and violate the policies of this blog by insulting that poster.

Moreover, as I pointed out and as Joe demosntrated, this is very different than in Iraq.

"Now we are engaged in a great civil war testing whether that nation or any nation so conceived and so dedicated can long endure."

by nklein on Tue Jun 28, 2011 at 02:48:00 PM PDT

•  All right, I'll refrain on here. (3+ / 0-)
        nklein, ferg, Lawrence

But neocon politicians who didn't serve are still chickenhawks in my book.
        And let's hope it is different from Iraq, for the sake of the Libyan people.

by BigAlinWashSt on Tue Jun 28, 2011 at 02:55:52 PM PDT