View Diary: Obama challenges Republicans: Deficit deal must end millionaire and billionaire tax breaks (217 comments)

•  That's good (9+ / 0-)

as long as it's not in exchange for Medicare cuts.

•  He has said that there will be more cost savings. (19+ / 0-)

But not at the expense of the elderly.

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." --M. L. King "You can't fix stupid" --Ron White

by zenbassoon on Wed Jun 29, 2011 at 10:56:31 AM PDT

•  Well, we'll see (22+ / 0-)

This debate is so far to the right, it's insane -- Dems are looking for one dollar in revenue for every four dollars in cuts. Sanders, the great Socialist hope, is calling for only 1 to 1. That's moderate position, just asking that we save as much via tax increases as cuts, is the far end wacky left.

•  Then let them take $3 from the military (3+ / 0-)
          Badabing, Jeffersonian Democrat, tuma

industrial complex.  Leave the benefits of Medicaid, Medicare, SS and the VA ALONE for goodness sake.

•  Cutting ANY Spending in a Recession is Insane! (4+ / 0-)
          agnostic, david mizner, HeyMikey, New Rule

The fact that Obama and the Dems are agreeing to any cuts at all in the middle of the worse recession in 80 years is the fucking stupidest thing I've ever seen.

A few short months ago, Obama and the Dems passed tax cuts on the super rich using the excuse that they did not want to raise taxes on anyone in a recession.  In theory, they were exactly right!  Federal deficit spending is needed now to keep us out of a depression.  Tax increases, of any kind, will only take more money out of the economy.  Less spending, under the guise of deficit reduction, will take more money out of the economy.  Do you really need to be some type of economics wizard to see what happens when you remove money from the economy in a recession?  Here's a fucking hint--it won't be very pretty.

How can anyone in the Obama Adminisration push policies that take money out of the economy when a few months ago they were pushing a stimulis program designed to put more money into the economy?  How can they be for taking money out of the economy when they were pushing tax cuts to put money into the economy?  Shit, they want to extend the ss tax cut for another year.  Why bother, if they are going to take with one hand what they gave with the other?

Can't any of the Dems see that if they follow through with the cuts and tax increases that they will crash the economy?  Just look at what has happened to Greece, Ireland, Spain, England, ect when they instituted tax increases and spending cuts.  Sure as night follows day, the economy suffers.  If you don't think it will happen here, think again!

Never mind the toll that a crash will have on Americans.  Don't any of the Dems realize what will happen to their election chances in 2012?  Are they really that fucking stupid?

My God, we are ruled by complete morons.

•  in today's diary, I have WH contact # (0+ / 0-)

Send them exactly what you said here.

What we call god is merely a living creature with superior technology & understanding. If their fragile egos demand prayer, they lose that superiority.

by agnostic on Wed Jun 29, 2011 at 12:12:24 PM PDT

•  well.. (0+ / 0-)

It's pretty clear to me that the majority of Americans are delusional narcissistic morons, so why wouldn't our leaders be as well?
            This economy will crash once the sheep realize their SS and Medicare can actually be taken away from them, and it will happen regardless of whether Obama gets tax hikes on the billionaires or not. To me, it's a foregone conclusion. As much as I hate to say it, it might be better in the long run if the American people were to watch the GOP/Teabagger plan of fiscal restraint crash the economy rather than give the GOP/Teabagger aholes the excuse that it was "Obama's tax hikes" that ruined everything.
            Yes, I'm saying we are screwed, imo.

•  Cutting waste, fraud, greed, and (1+ / 0-)
            New Rule

nonsense isn't going to hurt anybody but the wasters, fraudsters, greedy, and pointless.

Try waiting to see what's happening in reality before you believe the fear-mongers.  It'll save a ton of wear and tear on your heart.

by I love OCD on Wed Jun 29, 2011 at 08:20:33 PM PDT

•  Wrong--Cutting ANY Spending will Harm Economy (0+ / 0-)

Cutting any spending will "hurt" the economy, no matter if it goes to fraudsters or otherwise.

Now, if you want to argue that, instead of giving a million dollars to a crook or fraudster, that the government should give that million to help feed working people instead, I would agree with you.  However, cutting government spending by itself, no matter who it is cut from, will worsen the economy.

•  Lets wait and see on that point. nt (1+ / 0-)
        shaharazade
        •  He explicitly said he is ready to upset his base (4+ / 0-)

and he refused to explicitly state he would veto a bill without revenue increases.

That is toxic....I need more info before I am willing to accept anything this Administration says in a speech at face value.

"Senator McCain offered up the oldest Washington stunt in the book - you pass the buck to a commission to study the problem." - Senator Obama, 9-16-2008

by justmy2 on Wed Jun 29, 2011 at 11:19:19 AM PDT

•  Umm... I'm going to need you to (1+ / 0-)
            jan4insight

link the transcript of the presser before I can believe that one.

"The bottom line is, we've got to wake up. We can't allow our disappointment in Obama to lull us into allowing a truly dangerous strain of conservative philosophy to gain any more traction than it already has." --ObamOcala 4/5/11

by smoothnmellow on Wed Jun 29, 2011 at 11:23:16 AM PDT

•  Its right there in the links if you click them (2+ / 0-)
              mon, cybrestrike
              But he did not explicitly say that he would reject a deal that did not eliminate such breaks, saying that he believed his adversaries would eventually agree to what Democrats have called a “balanced approach” that included trillions of dollars in spending cuts along with tax increases.

He was asked multiple times by the reporter directly if he would sign a bill without revenue increases and he refused to say no.

But I guess it is more fun to simply read headlines that match preconceived notions, as oppose to watching the actual press conference or reading the full story.

Oh well...

by justmy2 on Wed Jun 29, 2011 at 11:30:43 AM PDT

•  Boehner'll ban tanning salons before he approves (5+ / 0-)
                justmy2, Danise94, mon, cybrestrike, New Rule

high-end tax increases.   Obama isn't dealing w/ a matter of economics or a matter of politics on that issue--he's dealing w/ a matter of theology.

Boehner, McConnell, Cantor, et al believe in low marginal tax rates for the rich in the same way that many of their consituents believe in Creationism.  Obama and Biden trying to negotiate w/ them on that issue is like a school board trying to negotiate w/ Creationists on the content of a HS Biology textbook.

Some men see things as they are and ask why. I dream of things that never were and ask why not?

by RFK Lives on Wed Jun 29, 2011 at 11:51:50 AM PDT

•  oh...and the part about the base was stated as (5+ / 0-)

well...

he said "I have already conceded that I am willing to make changes that will give my base another reason to be upset with me...and it is time for Republican leaders to do the same"

The fresh smell of bipartisanship in the summer.

by justmy2 on Wed Jun 29, 2011 at 11:32:58 AM PDT

•  I heard the "upset my base" part (2+ / 0-)
              wsexson, cybrestrike

I just rolled my eyes and hoped he would do more to upset the Republicans this time.

Keep repeating the lie until the public believes it is truth: TARP worked! TARP worked! TARP worked!

by Pale Jenova on Wed Jun 29, 2011 at 12:43:19 PM PDT

•  could you link to this, please? n/t (0+ / 0-)

I'm thrilled and honored to have her (Denise Oliver-Velez...deoliver47) join us as the first Daily Kos Featured Writer, Class of 2011 ~kos oh hell yes!~Cedwyn

by denig on Wed Jun 29, 2011 at 12:10:17 PM PDT

•  It's politics, and it's smart politics. (0+ / 0-)

The Dems look noble, the Republicans look like the greedy bastiches they are.

Besides, the part of his base that'll be annoyed with him would be pissed if he cured cancer, raised the dead, and gave each  of them jobs.  (Not soon enough....what are we going to do with all these damn extra people.......I have to do what they want me to do just to get a decent paycheck)  ;-)

by I love OCD on Wed Jun 29, 2011 at 08:25:08 PM PDT