View Diary: Obama challenges Republicans: Deficit deal must end millionaire and billionaire tax breaks (217 comments)

•  Lets wait and see on that point. nt (1+ / 0-)
    shaharazade
    •  He explicitly said he is ready to upset his base (4+ / 0-)

and he refused to explicitly state he would veto a bill without revenue increases.

That is toxic....I need more info before I am willing to accept anything this Administration says in a speech at face value.

"Senator McCain offered up the oldest Washington stunt in the book - you pass the buck to a commission to study the problem." - Senator Obama, 9-16-2008

by justmy2 on Wed Jun 29, 2011 at 11:19:19 AM PDT

•  Umm... I'm going to need you to (1+ / 0-)
        jan4insight

link the transcript of the presser before I can believe that one.

"The bottom line is, we've got to wake up. We can't allow our disappointment in Obama to lull us into allowing a truly dangerous strain of conservative philosophy to gain any more traction than it already has." --ObamOcala 4/5/11

by smoothnmellow on Wed Jun 29, 2011 at 11:23:16 AM PDT

•  Its right there in the links if you click them (2+ / 0-)
          mon, cybrestrike
          But he did not explicitly say that he would reject a deal that did not eliminate such breaks, saying that he believed his adversaries would eventually agree to what Democrats have called a “balanced approach” that included trillions of dollars in spending cuts along with tax increases.

He was asked multiple times by the reporter directly if he would sign a bill without revenue increases and he refused to say no.

But I guess it is more fun to simply read headlines that match preconceived notions, as oppose to watching the actual press conference or reading the full story.

Oh well...

by justmy2 on Wed Jun 29, 2011 at 11:30:43 AM PDT

•  Boehner'll ban tanning salons before he approves (5+ / 0-)
            justmy2, Danise94, mon, cybrestrike, New Rule

high-end tax increases.   Obama isn't dealing w/ a matter of economics or a matter of politics on that issue--he's dealing w/ a matter of theology.

Boehner, McConnell, Cantor, et al believe in low marginal tax rates for the rich in the same way that many of their consituents believe in Creationism.  Obama and Biden trying to negotiate w/ them on that issue is like a school board trying to negotiate w/ Creationists on the content of a HS Biology textbook.

Some men see things as they are and ask why. I dream of things that never were and ask why not?

by RFK Lives on Wed Jun 29, 2011 at 11:51:50 AM PDT

•  oh...and the part about the base was stated as (5+ / 0-)

well...

he said "I have already conceded that I am willing to make changes that will give my base another reason to be upset with me...and it is time for Republican leaders to do the same"

The fresh smell of bipartisanship in the summer.

by justmy2 on Wed Jun 29, 2011 at 11:32:58 AM PDT

•  I heard the "upset my base" part (2+ / 0-)
          wsexson, cybrestrike

I just rolled my eyes and hoped he would do more to upset the Republicans this time.

Keep repeating the lie until the public believes it is truth: TARP worked! TARP worked! TARP worked!

by Pale Jenova on Wed Jun 29, 2011 at 12:43:19 PM PDT

•  could you link to this, please? n/t (0+ / 0-)

I'm thrilled and honored to have her (Denise Oliver-Velez...deoliver47) join us as the first Daily Kos Featured Writer, Class of 2011 ~kos oh hell yes!~Cedwyn

by denig on Wed Jun 29, 2011 at 12:10:17 PM PDT

•  It's politics, and it's smart politics. (0+ / 0-)

The Dems look noble, the Republicans look like the greedy bastiches they are.

Besides, the part of his base that'll be annoyed with him would be pissed if he cured cancer, raised the dead, and gave each  of them jobs.  (Not soon enough....what are we going to do with all these damn extra people.......I have to do what they want me to do just to get a decent paycheck)  ;-)

by I love OCD on Wed Jun 29, 2011 at 08:25:08 PM PDT