View Diary: Obama focuses on spending cuts, closing tax loopholes in weekly address (170 comments)

•  What the fuck? (11+ / 0-)
    That means looking at every program and tax break in the budget—every single one—to find places to cut waste and save money.

Yeah, cut the NCI budget again you fuckwad.  It's not like 500,000 people a year aren't dying . . .

•  Odd that you seem to (6+ / 0-)
      TofG, Hill Jill, MartyM, Jerry056, TFinSF, arpear

have ignored "to find places to cut waste and save money."

" My faith in the Constitution is whole; it is complete; it is total." Barbara Jordan, 1974

by gchaucer2 on Sat Jul 02, 2011 at 07:39:32 AM PDT

•  Right - do you have any clue how (3+ / 0-)

much waste is in the NIH budget right now?  The pay line for most institutes is something like 8 to 12% - and he's looking for freakin' waste?

Un-fuckin-believable!!

•  I actually do (2+ / 0-)
          historys mysteries, TofG

know something about the NIH and CDC budgets.  I also know about the massive waste of billions because of non-negotiation of costs for pharmaceuticals and the completely criminal creation of new mental illnesses -- many of which are created by the unnecessary prescription of drugs which have no more benefit than a placebo.

Sure -- if you want to focus on one or two agencies -- that's your right.  The savings from addressing the criminality in the Pharma industry alone could provide additional support for NIH, CDC and expand Medicare.

by gchaucer2 on Sat Jul 02, 2011 at 08:13:17 AM PDT

•  This is absolute fuckin' bullshit (2+ / 0-)
            vigilant meerkat, Lucy2009

NO NIH agency did this, so kindly cut the freakin' lies:

The NIH is a research organization.  It does not buy billions of dollars worth of pharmaceuticals.

•  Please find where (0+ / 0-)

I said NIH did what I indicated.  I'll wait.  The agency is the FDA.  I did not connect the two -- you did.

There are three new books out and a two part review in The New York Review of Books on this very topic.

Carry on.

by gchaucer2 on Sat Jul 02, 2011 at 08:19:41 AM PDT

•  The post you replied to you by me (1+ / 0-)
                vigilant meerkat

said "NIH" (it's all right there for everybody to check!)

So again, kindly stop making shit up.

•  You asked me if I knew (0+ / 0-)

anything about the NIH budget.  I said I did.  Then I explained where billions were lost.  So, if I know something about the NIH, one, who is a careful reader, would comprehend that I also know that NIH has zero to do with Pharma's drug criminal enterprise.

Carry on.

by gchaucer2 on Sat Jul 02, 2011 at 08:24:42 AM PDT

•  You then went on to lump the CDC (2+ / 0-)
                    TJ, vigilant meerkat

with the NIH.

This PDF describes the CDC's ~$10 billion budget in detail

If you wish to point me to the (quite imaginary!) page where THEY waste billions and billions on pharmaceuticals, I'd be much obliged.

Otherwise, why don't you stop making shit up to bash the NIH and/or CDC and just STFU.

Unless you'd wish to explain your motives in bashing these grossly underfunded agencies with complete fabrications, I'd actually be rather interested in hearing THAT!@!

•  Erm -- I'm tired (1+ / 0-)
                      arpear

of responding to someone who lacks the skills of reading -- injects a goofy interpretation and repeatedly calls me a liar and tells me to STFU.

I could write most of your comments for you because you are so predictable.

I'm enjoying my day while you are cranked to 11 with a complete stranger.  Hilarious.

by gchaucer2 on Sat Jul 02, 2011 at 08:38:38 AM PDT

•  Very well, I see you have absolutely no (0+ / 0-)

defense for lumping the "non-negotiation of pharmaceuticals" in with the NIH (or, for that matter, the CDC) budgets.  That just does not happen no matter how much you claim it does.

I didn't really think that you would be able to defend that, ha.

Quite frankly, I totally realize that you are quite a "respectable" person here at DailyKos while many people regard me as a total DumbAss.  Nevertheless, when election day comes, the vote of a dumbass counts the same as a Respectable Person.  And when a dumbass gets lied to too many times, and too blatantly, who knows what they will do.

Maybe go vote for Ralph Nader.  Again, who knows.

•  You sound like a (0+ / 0-)

child with a paper asshole so bite me and learn how to read.

Just as prostitution is the world's oldest profession, religion is the world's oldest scam.

by Agent420 on Sat Jul 02, 2011 at 08:45:58 AM PDT

•  We're going to save money by cutting waste (7+ / 0-)

is a standard Republican meme around here.

•  People in every nation and for all time (1+ / 0-)
          bernardpliers

believe that shit.  It might be shit, but "cutting waste" is a mantra beloved by governments, schools, businesses and everyone.  Nobody ever does it, but they love to say it.   It's not anything to frown about.

From Neocon to sane- thanks to Obama- and Kos.

by satrap on Sat Jul 02, 2011 at 08:05:53 AM PDT

•  This Is the "Good News"?! (8+ / 0-)
            The good news is, Democrats and Republicans agree on the need to solve the problem. And over the last few weeks, the Vice President and I have gotten both parties to identify more than $1 trillion in spending cuts.

So "BOTH SIDES AGREE" that we should cut over $1 TRILLION dollars of government spending in the midst of the worst economy since the Great Depression amid close to 20% real unemployment -- while every sane economist says publicly that this will immediately send us back into a deeper recession!

And that's the "good news" is it?

Time for us all to "Clap Louder!"

•  Actually, I think it's closer to 1.4 trillion in (2+ / 0-)
              madgranny, Jackson L Haveck

cuts, and 190 billion in revenue increases.

I mean what's wrong with that, right?  Lazy assholes who are unemployed don't deserve bennies, med care, etc. They should get off the couch and get a job, right?

We have to protect the rich at all costs....even at the expense of the lives of the poor and middle class. They are after all, the annointed ones...God's children and all. We must take care of them, and they'll become stressed if they have to pay 7% more in tax on their millions and billions. So we just simply have to cut the life lines to the old/poor/young and disabled. There is simply no other choice.

Comprende?

I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. Thomas Jefferson

by Lucy2009 on Sat Jul 02, 2011 at 12:21:52 PM PDT

•  Perhaps you should (0+ / 0-)

spend some time on research re: the waste in the Medicaid program alone because of the criminal enterprise created and enjoyed by Pharma and psychiatrists.  It is massive fraud.  And no -- I'm not a Republican.

by gchaucer2 on Sat Jul 02, 2011 at 08:09:12 AM PDT

•  Shorter Obama! (8+ / 0-)

"We're going to cut everything the poor and elderly depend on because 'after a decade in which Washington ran up the country’s credit card, we’ve got to find more savings to get out of the red', which 'means we’ll have to make tough decisions and scale back worthy programs.'

Grandma may have to eat cat-food and go without medical care, but just to make it fair, we'll try and repeal a few tax deductions for corporate jets and a couple of other meaningless perks for the ultra-rich."

See? "Shared sacrifice." Close a few tax loopholes for business that Congress will immediately re-open or tax accountants will find ways to evade and that makes it all alright to cut the Medicare people depend on for their lives!

•  He's surfing on the global austerity wave (2+ / 0-)
            psyched, madgranny

like the U.K., like Ireland, like all our global elites.  What he should keep in mind, though, is that the peons are still throwing out those governments who implement austerity programs when they don't work out.

•  Bingo!!! I hope America is waking up to the (0+ / 0-)

enormous scam being perpetrated on them by this President, the Dems and the GOP. Because raising holy hell about it is their only hope.

Obama looks poised to deliver that which the GOP couldn never achieve on their own.

by Lucy2009 on Sat Jul 02, 2011 at 12:25:03 PM PDT

•  Obama Can't Be Taken Seriously (1+ / 0-)
      Roadbed Guy

Please see my post and link slightly downstream.

"I don't feel the change yet". Velma Hart

by Superpole on Sat Jul 02, 2011 at 07:39:53 AM PDT

•  As a supporter of this President I'm tempted to (5+ / 0-)

drop you a donut, but I understand the merits of freedom of speech. You can call the President any sort of expletive you wish, but do you know how offensive that is to many individuals who are here to read what the President has to say and have a civilized discussion? Your obvious level of hatred and disrespect for the President is matched only by the obscenity I come across on the hateful Right Wing sites.... It's despicable.

•  Go ahead an hide rate me, I don't care (2+ / 0-)
        Lucy2009, Romberry

I'm much more concerned about this admistration's enthusiatic support of fossil fuels, taking George Bush's NCLB idiocy up yet another notch, solidifying his tax breaks for the super rich (and again, taking that up a notch by taking a substantial step to end SS). There's alos a bunch of more minor issues (torture, foreign policy, surveillence, prosecution of whistle blowers, etc, where he's enthusiastically neocon-ish) that I won't even mention.

So, if you are offended by my expression of offense, don't be so noble - go ahead and hide rate me.

•  You are fully equipped with all the talking (2+ / 0-)
          Luschnig, arpear

point list of how Obama is the worst President ever.... I would like you to tell me when and where did this President say he will end Social Security.... I would love to see the evidence of that....

And your mentioning how the President kept the Bush tax cuts in place without mentioning that the President had a choice of either extending the tax cuts for two years or allow the Republicans to not allow unemployment benefits to go to 2 million out of work individuals, including families with children, who needed their benefits to buy food as well as pay rent, or also allow the Republicans to raise taxes on the middle class which he had pledged not to do.

I've said this a million times over, but the President is not both the legislative and executive branches of government.... Still this is not about facts here, this is all about repeating stuff that have been pulled from the playbook on how to taint Barack Obama....

•  Clearly, he's too clever to SAY that (0+ / 0-)

but what else is the cut in the payroll SS leading to?

It's like Nixon going to China (but only in the reverse) - it's something only a Dem could do.

The bottom line is that if one votes for the Dems, they get the NeoCon Agenda.

Vote for the Repubs, its even worse, of course - you get the NeoCon Agenda on Steroids.

It's all very very frustrating - an ordinary person such as myself is essentially helpless - so, I guess that might account for the occasional internet rant . . .. ..  and, like I suggested in the other post, if you want the WH propaganda in the pure undulterated form with no discouraging words thrown in, they * do * have their own website . .. .

•  There is NO DEBT CEILING CRISIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (0+ / 0-)

So anything that Obama is giving away is because he wants to. Period.

Wall Street isn't going to allow the GOP to crash the economy and Obama knows that. This is just a bunch of bullshit and an excuse to further kiss the asses of the rich and pork the poor and middle class.

Why he's doing that??? I have no idea. He is an incredibly weak leader in far too many instances.

by Lucy2009 on Sat Jul 02, 2011 at 12:29:40 PM PDT

•  To be a bit more helpful, if you are (2+ / 0-)
        downandout, Jackson L Haveck

are simply looking for a regurgitation of White House propaganda, which you seem to be, it's available at The White House site.

Reminds me of when Sean McDounogh (sp?) was doing commentary for the Red Sox TV broadcasts and occasionally said the discouraging word, to which the Red Sox objected.

He had a good response: "I work for Channel 38, not the Red Sox . . .. ."

•  I'm looking for facts in your representation that (1+ / 0-)
          arpear

the President is doing what you claim he is doing.... Don't give me some jazz about the Red Sox. You say he is ending Social Security, yet you have nothing more to go on but your own opinion which appears to be based on your own misconception....

•  Careful reading will help you (0+ / 0-)

President Obama did not say he was going to cut money from 'every single one' of the programs.   He said he was going to look for waste to cut.   But if there is no waste in your pet programs, which I'm sure there isn't, it is safe.  You should listen more carefully to what the President actually says and not to the loud, little voices in your own head.