View Diary: Will I be White-washed from History, too? July 4th, meh. (261 comments)

•  Excellent diary. It got me to reading about (14+ / 0-)

Frederick Douglass, as I visited his home in New Bedford, MA last summer.  What I noticed for the first time, thanks to this diary with its focus on African-American women, were the contributions of his first wife, Anna Murray-Douglass.  It's safe to say, without Anna's contributions, we may not have heard Frederick's powerful words.

The contributions of African-Americans to New Bedford's whaling industry, and its unique place in the Abolition Movement, were, thankfully, on full display at New Bedford's Whaling Museum here and here.  This museum, and the surrounding cobble-stoned area, are a must see for anyone in the area.  Actually, I've been there twice.

Also, I noticed that one of your quotes included a Dempsey Iles, whose records may provide use to your genealogical search.

I'd also like to hear more about John Towner/Isriel, but sadly, but not surprisingly, a google search turned up nothing.

“Do not think that I came to bring peace on Earth; I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. For I came to set a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law." - Jesus

by Jose Bidenio on Sat Jul 02, 2011 at 12:09:30 PM PDT

•  Ha! You.are.on.it! (9+ / 0-)

Thank you for the links.  I'll be headed to NN12 and if I drive, will definitely take a day to visit New Bedford.

Yes, Dempsey Iles...I said there is so much to write, right?  He may have owned Jane.  Jane lived next to him in the 1870 census probably on his land.  That's a teaser for the next diary, lol.  Yes, Dempsey Iles....indeed...a line of research for me.  His records were burnt in the courthouse I mentioned.

I for one am tired of pandering to perpetrators --- many of whom are opposed to any discussion however it comes. -- soothsayer99 DPK Caucus

by princss6 on Sat Jul 02, 2011 at 12:13:28 PM PDT

•  This is the story of my great-great-great-great- (8+ / 0-)

grandfather [I'm not sure of how many "greats", but he was definitely "great", else I wouldn't be typing now. :)] :  http://www.google.com/...

About 3 years ago, they did a documentary about Cesar, which my father and I, and many other relatives, attended in Hebron, CT.  My father and I were not very pleased with the documentary as Cesar's role was relegated to a minor and insignificant status, to say the least.  It wasn't even historically accurate, as Cesar was portrayed as actually guilty of theft, which he was not.

Also, after the film's showing, all of the production crew and Hebron's Historical Society were introduced and lauded, but no acknowledgement was made of any of Cesar's descendants who were many in attendance, until finally someone spoke up and said, "what about Cesar's descendants".

After, we did visit Cesar's home, which was moving to say the least.

by Jose Bidenio on Sat Jul 02, 2011 at 01:27:07 PM PDT

•  Sorry, should've said "Cesar and Lowis Peters". (5+ / 0-)

by Jose Bidenio on Sat Jul 02, 2011 at 01:32:15 PM PDT

•  I'm going to read the link... (5+ / 0-)

that is a wonderful history and again the white-washing.  Unbelievable!  And of course, everyone is congratulatory, right?  No.  So disrespectful and the revisioinism of making him a thief, so much to say about that one, right?

by princss6 on Sat Jul 02, 2011 at 01:34:08 PM PDT

•  Word. I did notice that Ceasr died on... (5+ / 0-)

...July 4th, 1814, which somehow I seem to have missed before.

I will celebrate his life and the life of Jane Iles this weekend.

Thank you.

• Law (19)
  • Spam (19)
  • Republicans (18)
  • Media (18)
  • Labor (18)
  • Barack Obama (17)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (15)
  • White House (14)
  • International (13)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site