View Diary: Will I be White-washed from History, too? July 4th, meh. (261 comments)

•  Thank you! (12+ / 0-)

Your words really touch me.

Blueness is great.  I've not had a chance to read his diary as I didn't see it until after I posted this one.  He is a tremendous writer and I'm sure I will learn from his diary.

Thank you so much for reading!  It is one more impression of Jane in someone's mind!

I for one am tired of pandering to perpetrators --- many of whom are opposed to any discussion however it comes. -- soothsayer99 DPK Caucus

by princss6 on Sat Jul 02, 2011 at 12:29:03 PM PDT

•  Also wanted to say (11+ / 0-)

your inclusion of the factors such as the domestic slave trade are important. I think that for a lot of people, they understand slavery was a horrific thing but never really contemplate the methods and practices that made it horrific.

Including info on how slaves were bred (bred for god's sake!) and how they were made to travel with ropes and chains around their necks makes us confront the realities and horrors of the "peculiar institution."

If the people one day wish to live / destiny cannot but respond / And the night cannot but disappear / and the bonds cannot but break. -- Abu'l-Qasim al-Shabbi

by unspeakable on Sat Jul 02, 2011 at 01:00:12 PM PDT

•  That is new research for me, too... (10+ / 0-)

the Domestic Slave Trade that is...the mythology doesn't really shine light on the full process of getting slaves from Virginia to the Lower South.

by princss6 on Sat Jul 02, 2011 at 01:20:48 PM PDT

•  And D.C.'s history as a big slave market, (7+ / 0-)

which is yet another wrinkle in the history of the nation's capital.

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.--MLK, Jr.

by conlakappa on Sat Jul 02, 2011 at 02:49:16 PM PDT

•  A historical note in one book has stuck with me (6+ / 0-)

Though not the details (or even which book it was, sadly.)

Anyway, it also told the story of the enslaved people being put in coffles and marched down the street on their way South ... only this particular street was Broadway, in NYC.

For some reason I found that just shocking, even though I know of the slave graves and all that found in NY. It's just... you think of marches down Broadway, you think of the Macy's parade and other happy events. Not hundreds of stolen people being marched deeper into captivity.

I know I'll never look at or think of Broadway the same again.

“If you have come to help me, you are wasting your time. But if you have come because your liberation is bound up with mine, then let us work together.”

by Nanette K on Sat Jul 02, 2011 at 04:11:32 PM PDT

•  I'd not heard that... (5+ / 0-)

yes, slavery in Pennsylvania is not even a footnote.  There was a huge battle in Philly to resurrect that slave quarters in Independence Mall.  Finally this year, it is restored.  Mind you, these were the slaves of George Washington.  Even those slaves are hidden.

by princss6 on Sat Jul 02, 2011 at 04:16:27 PM PDT

•  Probably more hidden than most. (5+ / 0-)

U.S. Americans, in general, love their myths and will do almost anything to continue to perpetrate them.

I know at least one of his slaves escaped -- a woman, though I forget her name. She may have written a book, I don't know.

I often wonder what those slaveholders thought when the people they had convinced themselves and others were little more than cattle escaped and then wrote books about them and their lives, lol.

by Nanette K on Sat Jul 02, 2011 at 04:25:18 PM PDT

•  They thought they were brainwashed... (5+ / 0-)

but the evil Abolitionists....

Sound familiar?

You should read this link here.  Denise posted it earlier.  It is instructive and very poignant at least to me as someone trying to break through past 1870.

by princss6 on Sat Jul 02, 2011 at 04:32:42 PM PDT