View Diary: Pete Peterson Group: "$250k a Year Is Not Easy Street" (317 comments)

•  'Acreage' (2+ / 0-)
    slinkerwink, Nulwee

1.25 acres is acreage? I bet there are many here with more than 1.25 acres. And when did a pool become something the ultra rich only were entitled to have?

"I'm sculpting now. Landscapes mostly." ~ Yogi Bear

by eXtina on Tue Jul 05, 2011 at 02:34:43 PM PDT

•  Do you think those (9+ / 0-)

houses represent the homes of the "scraping by" as the article suggests that this couple is? Frankly,given the debt load & expenses the mythical couple has,these homes are indeed above their means.
      This isn't about pools,how much land equals acreage or anything else similar. It is about the FACT that people making more than 250k can indeed afford more in taxes. All of us who make that and more know this.

"George RR Martin is not your bitch" ~~ Neil Gaiman

by tardis10 on Tue Jul 05, 2011 at 02:41:42 PM PDT

•  maybe so (2+ / 0-)
        Lying eyes, Nulwee
        the FACT that people making more than 250k can indeed afford more in taxes.

but the article is not about those making more than 250k, it's about those making 250k, and given that they are living in a house on 1 acre and they are living above their means, with few extravagances, makes the point of the article - that 250k is not a lavish income in those parts of the country

"I'm sculpting now. Landscapes mostly." ~ Yogi Bear

by eXtina on Tue Jul 05, 2011 at 03:00:36 PM PDT

•  Certainly that income is not (4+ / 0-)
          eigenlambda, mmacdDE, Sychotic1, Nulwee

lavish enough for the particular lifestyle this mythical couple wants to enjoy.

"George RR Martin is not your bitch" ~~ Neil Gaiman

by tardis10 on Tue Jul 05, 2011 at 03:15:46 PM PDT

•  Which means that $250k is not a (2+ / 0-)
            Lying eyes, sargoth

lavish income, as most in this thread want to make the case!

"I'm sculpting now. Landscapes mostly." ~ Yogi Bear

by eXtina on Tue Jul 05, 2011 at 03:17:43 PM PDT

•  ummmm (11+ / 0-)

I beg to differ.  They are choosing to live where they live and how they live.  My partner and I do just fine on $145K per year.  I'll admit we'd have some trouble if we had to raise some kids.

And 1.25 acres of land on Long Island is a HUGE amount of land.

"Without viable unions to serve as a counterweight to corporate power, America's working people and their families are at the mercy of the largest and most powerful economic organizations on the planet."

by billlaurelMD on Tue Jul 05, 2011 at 03:34:31 PM PDT

•  It is a very big lot for that part of the (6+ / 0-)

region. I grew up in Queens, and we moved to the Port Jefferson region (about 25 miles further east on Long Island) when I was in high school. We had a quarter-acre lot, and that was pretty standard.

•  Yes they choose to live there (1+ / 0-)
                Nina Katarina
                They are choosing to live where they live and how they live

to make that kind of income, to find the kind of job that pays that income, a job that is satisfyin and meets the talents of the individual, you have to live where the job is, and you have to pay to live there. But, they're not the ones complaining. The ones that seem to be doing all the complaining are the ones who haven't made that choice and resent the people who have made that choice and are making that income

"I'm sculpting now. Landscapes mostly." ~ Yogi Bear

by eXtina on Tue Jul 05, 2011 at 03:44:58 PM PDT

•  So your basic contention (1+ / 0-)
                  ubertar

is that these folk are underpaid not over-extended?

"George RR Martin is not your bitch" ~~ Neil Gaiman

by tardis10 on Tue Jul 05, 2011 at 03:51:39 PM PDT

•  I'm not making a contention (4+ / 0-)
                    Lying eyes, Matisyahu, Nulwee, chimpy

I don't think the point of the article is far off the mark, is all. People that live in areas of the country where you can buy a house for $100k naturally think $250k annually is some lavish sum, just try living on it and raising a family and saving for retiriment, college etc. All the article says is it's not easy street. I think cost of living needs to be taken into account when making these arbitrary cutoffs for tax purposes. In Iowa it can be $75k, in eastern NY it should be higher than $250k, at least $500k. Even Kristen Gillibrand, everyone's progressive hero here, was lobbying to have the millionaire tax cutoff at an actual million dollars in annual income.

"I'm sculpting now. Landscapes mostly." ~ Yogi Bear

by eXtina on Tue Jul 05, 2011 at 03:58:22 PM PDT

•  my mtge. is $293K right now (4+ / 0-)
                      mmacdDE, Politburo, Nulwee, chimpy

and I live in a high cost area.

by billlaurelMD on Tue Jul 05, 2011 at 04:20:49 PM PDT

•  I grew up on LI (3+ / 0-)
                      tardis10, Nulwee, drewfromct

and my parents managed on one income for years.  I grew up in Nassau County ... we lived in a small house (~1,100 ft2) with 5 people in it.  It was cramped.  But we made those choices.  I think that's why I'm having so much trouble with what you're saying here.

An acre and 1/4 is a LOT of land on L.I., unless you're out with the potatoes on the eastern end, I suppose.

In Iowa, what fraction of people even make $250K per year?  And how does it compare

by billlaurelMD on Tue Jul 05, 2011 at 04:24:04 PM PDT

•  oops .. how does it compare ... (1+ / 0-)
                        Nulwee

with the fraction in a place like Port Jefferson or Huntington LI?

by billlaurelMD on Tue Jul 05, 2011 at 04:25:02 PM PDT

•  and things have changed a lot (1+ / 0-)
                        Nulwee

since then

"I'm sculpting now. Landscapes mostly." ~ Yogi Bear

by eXtina on Tue Jul 05, 2011 at 04:48:24 PM PDT

•  They have (5+ / 0-)

but you don't have to live in Bethesda to work in Bethesda. And you can live pretty much anywhere in the DC area and work in another DC area.

Will your transportation costs be a bit higher (because you have to park or pay for public transit)? Yes. But you'll make more - and if you live in a lower cost area (or in a lower cost house in that area) you save money.

I really question a lot of those costs too - 100+/mo on DRY CLEANING? Really? They don't know how to do wash? $5k/yr for a housekeeper? That's 400/MONTH - they can't clean their own house?

A 750k house? Really? That's got to be one HELL of a house. Not even REMOTELY modest. Even in DC. And I'm pretty sure they could find a nice house for 500k. Maybe less, if they're willing to drive a bit.

And this...

But when both parents are working, it is impossible for them to maintain the home, care for the kids and dress for their professional jobs without a big outlay.

REALLY ticks me off. Like you can't dress well without spending a fortune. And those that make less must, of course, not care for their kids and dress like bums.

Is this guy TRYING to make people pissed at him? Because he's certainly doing a good job of insulting everybody who actually WORKS for a living.

•  Really? (17+ / 0-)

Then what do the millions of people living in "those parts of the country" who make $25,000 do? I know — THEY make up the taxes the people making $250,000 don't want to pay. That's what is happening here in Ohio. Gov. Kasich just gutted out public schools so the rich and corporations could get more tax breaks, and my city wants to school levy that will probably force me to abandon my home.

Jennifer Brunner for Governor of Ohio 2014

by anastasia p on Tue Jul 05, 2011 at 03:20:53 PM PDT

•  When you have a acre of property in that part of (11+ / 0-)

the country, it's a luxury.  Now where I live, I guarantee you they pay quite a few times for an acre than we pay for a forty.  The point is, when you live in that part of the country, an acre is an extravagance, as is a pool wherever you live.

If you're unable to grasp that the point of the diary is not that only the uber wealthy should have pools or an acre of property, but that it seems more than a bit silly to suggest these folks are really having to make sacrifices as a result of the horrendous taxes they pay when the vast majority of Americans are truly scraping by with no dream of EVER being able to have a fraction of what these folks take for granted and feel so entitled to, I'm not sure what to say.

by gustynpip on Tue Jul 05, 2011 at 04:01:18 PM PDT

•  I've been living (10+ / 0-)

on around 20k a year since I retired, and even I could afford to pay a little more in taxes. Oh wait, I did... I work online part time as an independent contractor so have an additional 6 or 7 percent tacked on (self employment tax).

Hard to imagine living with the greed of those making more, who are so loath to give up even a little to help the country.

Moderation in most things.

by billmosby on Tue Jul 05, 2011 at 03:07:52 PM PDT

•  I have 1.4 acres. (3+ / 0-)
      mamamedusa, congenitalefty, chimpy

Eat my socks.

(After I mow with my 22" mower......)

Republicans HATE America. Deal with it.

by xxdr zombiexx on Tue Jul 05, 2011 at 03:37:56 PM PDT

•  It is around here (3+ / 0-)
      tardis10, orlbucfan, chimpy

If it's over an acre, it's listed as "acreage". We have 4.78 acres and our house was sold as "acreage". Of course, we really are surrounded by acreage, as my next door neighbor has 29 acres, there's a wooded and vacant (except for wildlife) 5 acres above us that either my neighbor or I will someday buy, etc.

But land's not that expensive over here. When I first moved here you easily got 5 acres for $50k or less, not waterfront, though.

As to swimming pools, who needs their own? We have lakes nearby to swim in and there's a swimming pool at the Y.

Organ donors save multiple lives! A donor's kidney gave me my life back on 02/18/11; he lives on in me and in others. Please talk with your family about your wish to donate and sign up to give others the gift of life.

by Kitsap River on Tue Jul 05, 2011 at 04:41:36 PM PDT