View Diary: Solar Photovoltaic Generating Capacity Averaging 65% Compound Annual Growth Rate for Last 5 Years (161 comments)

•  A constructive, educational, informative diary. (14+ / 0-)

How very pleasant.

This will, indeed, be the solar century.

And it can't come soon enough.

Tipped and recced.

"A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle" - Mohammed Nabbous, R.I.P.

by Lawrence on Tue Jul 05, 2011 at 06:47:50 PM PDT

•  Thanks Lawrence. What kind words. (14+ / 0-)

This one took me a long time.  I've had the one Stephen Lacey article in my que for over a month and a half.

Then I lost it.  And, then for some reason half the graphs downloaded themselves  into my download library instead of my pictures library.

So, I finally just decided to punt this one out, even though it still has some rough edges.

Originally, I had intended this to be the launch of the cool colored boxes that the OND folks use.  Wadar, and rfall.

But, when it got to 900pm EST I realized that unless I lowered my goals, I'd be publishing this at 300am and get six readers if I was lucky.

I've been working on this in background mode for weeks, and since this morning today.

Thanks.

The means is the ends in the process of becoming. - Mahatma Gandhi

by HoundDog on Tue Jul 05, 2011 at 07:08:37 PM PDT

•  Well worth the effort, well done! (11+ / 0-)

Anymore, Ima just going to refer readers to Kosowatt, when nuke advocates say that we "need" nukes because alternative energy sources "just won't cut it"...rather than Even bothering to refute this relentless jive "talking point" in specific detail, over and over again, ad nauseum.

You've been publishing some excellent diaries, Dog, Thx!

Comprehensive roll-out to the max, of all appropriate alternatives, in combination with increased conservation and efficiency, will evoke a cumulative "critical mass" of sustainable energy independence, if we just DO IT.

The only thing standing in the way of this is the continuing remnant right wing majorities in Congress, and their sponsors in the Chamber of Commerce...who refuse to submit to the 80% popular democratic will to go green, put everyone back to work doing it, and bring the troops home from the oil fields, etc.

Bring the Better Democrats!

All Out for 2012!

Photobucket

Democracy is the most fundamental revolutionary principle. Information is the ultimate key.

by Radical def on Tue Jul 05, 2011 at 08:11:01 PM PDT

•  Thanks Radical def. Have you joined Radical def? (3+ / 0-)
          melo, Radical def, Wee Mama

I can't remember.  We'd be delighted to have you if you aren't already on the board.  You could have any position you like.

I haven't really been doing enough on the management, and cultivation of admins, editors, contributors etc.

We also are going to need to develop some kind of archive management, front page, like HuffPo, Index, or maybe an ROV like the JNI folks have.  LIke as a clearing house for best links, or guides to our best subject area diaries.

I'm more of a playing on the beach kind of person, so I haven't even developed a plan for developing all this stuff.

Thanks for your kind commnets.

The means is the ends in the process of becoming. - Mahatma Gandhi

by HoundDog on Tue Jul 05, 2011 at 11:14:58 PM PDT

•  I think I just started following, recently... (0+ / 0-)

Wouldn't mind joining, if you send an invite.

Can't commit to a lot of participation, but willing to consider helping out, if I can.

Could probly post occasionally, keep an eye out for other good diaries to add to the que, at least.

by Radical def on Wed Jul 06, 2011 at 12:34:02 AM PDT

•  here's one hard-core sustainability dude whose.... (2+ / 0-)
          Athenian, Wee Mama

... energy consumption is about 1/3 of average US, and who also believes we need nuclear in the mix.

New-generation nuclear, best of all, thorium reactors, which are basically melt-proof and can't proliferate nuclear weapons.

If we can do it all on renewables, wonderful.  But there are places in the US that don't have adequate year-round solar and wind resources to do the job.

If the no-nukes crowd wants to be taken really seriously, they'll need to start doing case studies for those areas.

•  Yeah, when you got one, let me know... (0+ / 0-)

If Greenpeace and Union of Concerned Scientists say that it's safe "enough", I'll be glad to try it out.

Meanwhile, we should go green.

by Radical def on Wed Jul 06, 2011 at 12:16:30 AM PDT

•  that's what I'm asking you: (0+ / 0-)

Find me a solution for the band of territory that comprises the northern most 25% of the continental US from coast to coast.

Ball's in your court, yo.

•  Trying to visualize this - is Iowa in the band you (3+ / 0-)
                Radical def, Calamity Jean, G2geek

are concerned about? Because we are building wind capacity like billy oh!

Is it true? Is it kind? Is it necessary? . . . and respect the dignity of every human being.

by Wee Mama on Wed Jul 06, 2011 at 07:15:29 AM PDT

•  wind definitely counts. (1+ / 0-)
                  Wee Mama

A lot of places with less solar resource have excellent wind, and vice-versa.  The difficult cases are the ones that don't have much of either.  Those are the ones that the no-nukers need to focus on and develop engineering plans for.  The more detail the better.

I'm not attached to nukes per se.  It's all about taking fossil fuels off the grid pronto.  Any combination of carbon-clean power that works, is good.  And Ma Nature doesn't care about the dollar cost, so neither should we: if it's more expensive, that's OK, the real bottom line is CO2.

•  What states does this include? (2+ / 0-)
                JeffW, G2geek
                PV panels work better in cooler temperatures, so even the northern part of the "Lower 48" should get some solar electricity.  And most of that area is decently windy, too.

Actually, I think most of the problem will be in the Southeast; it's got lots of sun but is a "wind desert", so what will they do overnight?  Unless the Old Confederacy imports wind power from Texas, they may be burning coal for night power long after the rest of the nation is all renewables.  Solar thermal may cover some nighttime.

Renewable energy brings national security.      -6.25, -6.05

by Calamity Jean on Wed Jul 06, 2011 at 10:45:35 AM PDT

•  that's where any kind of storage is important. (0+ / 0-)

Molten salt, pumped hydro, and the new design for gravitational storage using 3,000 - 6,000' deep holes that are used as hydraulic cylinders filled with water and with huge heavy "pistons" as the actual energy storage medium (gravity-driven, and the water is the working fluid that turns turbines).

All of that and more needs to be developed and built and then standardized.

The storage problem is the same whether for sun or wind: someone needs to calculate the intermittency time factors (e.g. overnight, X number of cloudy days in a row, etc.) and design the storage capacity to meet it.

The engineering on all of this is straightforward; the thing that is holding us back is lack of money which really means lack of will.