View Diary: Deliberate Cruelty is the Only Unforgivable Sin (62 comments)

•  I think your diaries are a deliberate cruelty (7+ / 1-)
    ericlewis0, zonk, Jack K, VClib, earicicle, sewaneepat, TFinSF
    Hidden by:
    S M Tenneshaw

The hyperbole you continue to employ is nothing but deliberate, and the implications of the false purity you peddle are nothing short of cruel.

WARNING: Your diary/comment/attitude/etc may dishonor Ted Kennedy!

by snout on Thu Jul 07, 2011 at 09:03:55 PM PDT

•  thanks for your compassion and sharing. nt. (13+ / 0-)

“I hope the two wings of the Democratic Party may flap together.” William Jennings Bryan

by Badabing on Thu Jul 07, 2011 at 09:05:04 PM PDT

•  The single best answer. (5+ / 0-)

The person does not know the true definition of cruelty which I like to define as the failure to alleviate suffering when doing so is readily within ones power.  Your response shows your true nature.

I had a Jesuit priest in undergrad once say that if he had to give one sentence to abide by it would be: Do nothing that causes others to suffer and when you are in a position to do so, alleviate the suffering of others.  I have always had a hard time squaring the evagelical crowd's hatred of universal health care with the story of the Good Samaritan.  Other than scale, how do they differ?

Hitting click and reading anything voluntarily is not even within the realm of cruelty.

"How can the United States be the Greatest Nation ever if it is the only modern nation where citizens hold bake sales to pay for life saving medical care?" Single payer is coming but how many people will die before it becomes the only solution?

by 4CasandChlo on Thu Jul 07, 2011 at 09:27:13 PM PDT

•  sorry Casand, are you responding to me, or to (1+ / 0-)
          4CasandChlo

snout?

thanks...

Ms. B.

by Badabing on Thu Jul 07, 2011 at 09:36:22 PM PDT

•  I am responding you to Ms. B (4+ / 0-)
            Badabing, Lucy2009, frandor55, gulfgal98

I thought your answer to him was perfect.  I thought his was ridiculous and malicious, I have been a TU for 3 years but I still hesitate to throw doughnuts at people - more experienced people than I can decide that.

Though I don't 100% agree with everything in the piece, his response to you was ridiculous.

Its late and I am tired, I wrote a very vague and poorly worded response that was meant to be 100% supportive of you.

by 4CasandChlo on Thu Jul 07, 2011 at 10:59:30 PM PDT

•  sorry, too vague (1+ / 0-)
      Badabing

Perhaps we could move on to discussing genital burning?

Just sayin'.

No peace, no justice. No justice, no peace.

by Miep on Thu Jul 07, 2011 at 09:06:45 PM PDT

•  I think your response was rather cruel too (4+ / 0-)
      Miep, Badabing, S M Tenneshaw, Agathena

For starters, it hurts my eyes to read your overly dramatic "reply"

•  Do tell. Be specific. (10+ / 0-)

What hyperbole?  What implications of false purity are being peddled, and what is cruel?

State your case.  Quit hiding behind you meany meme.  (No pun intended ;)

To every millionaire who decries they don't want their grandchildren paying for the deficit, I say: PAY MORE TAXES NOW and your grandkids won't have a deficit burden.

by gooderservice on Thu Jul 07, 2011 at 09:13:46 PM PDT

•  Start with this diary (4+ / 0-)

Do we really have a sitting President who is destroying the New Deal?

Why do folks here let shit like that fly?  It is one thing to express legitimate concern about the possibility of cuts to Medicare or Social Security.  I've got concerns on that front as well.  But really - destroying the New Deal?  Nothing left of it?  Really?

WARNING: Your diary/comment/attitude/etc may dishonor Ted Kennedy!

by snout on Thu Jul 07, 2011 at 09:23:58 PM PDT

•  Great more excuses no matter what. Who created (5+ / 0-)

the Cat Food Commission?  Who is supporting the Gang of 6 (oh, I mean five), are you actually denying that SS, medicare and medicaid are not on the table, is that you meme?

OMFG>

by Badabing on Thu Jul 07, 2011 at 09:33:34 PM PDT

•  You make quite a leap... (4+ / 0-)

...from Obama's willingness have a national dialogie that questions existing paradigms to "destroying the New Deal".

The burden of proof is on you, since the accusation is yours.

WARNING: Your diary/comment/attitude/etc may dishonor Ted Kennedy!

by snout on Thu Jul 07, 2011 at 09:46:50 PM PDT

•  the burden of proof is not on me, you made your (3+ / 0-)
              priceman, Lucy2009, gooderservice

accusations, and there are been many articles (unless you are living under a rock) as to what is going on with President Obama and our Democrats.

You accuse me of hyperbole and of being the cruel person here, but you do nothing to support your argument with links proving the opposite.

Stand up and provide your own proof and arguments.

You got nothing.

by Badabing on Thu Jul 07, 2011 at 09:56:22 PM PDT

•  Why is Obama having this "dialogue? (1+ / 0-)
              Badabing

Right now, more than ever, this country needs jobs and a social safety net we can depend on.  Why would we want to have a dialogue on Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, and the deficit now with about 20% of our working population either unemployed or underemployed?

Wrong dialogue at the wrong time.

If the issue is the deficit, then the dialogue should be about the two greatest contributors to the deficit: 1) lack of adequate revenues caused by the Bush tax cuts that Obama extended and 2) the bottomless Treasury draining black holes of the wars we are currently engaged in.  Once those issues are addressed, then maybe we will no longer need to worry about the deficit or a dialogue hell bent upon gutting our social safety nets.

More tax cuts would be gluttony in a time of starvation. That is not America. That is a nation about to be plundered, and a people laid to waste. - Charles Blow

by gulfgal98 on Fri Jul 08, 2011 at 11:55:36 AM PDT

•  Uprated if only to counter the unexplained (4+ / 0-)
      Badabing, priceman, earicicle, sewaneepat

HR to a comment that is, in today's DKos4 environment, a rather reasonable objection to a diarist's post...

To be honest, I'm old and tired and am about to give up on the whole process because I've been around these issues for a long time and don't see anything getting better, but  my initial reading of the posts led me to to the personal internal observation that Item 1 was hyperbole and that Items 2, 3, and 4 needed to be fleshed out a bit more so that I could better understand why I should care...

I mean, I care about these issues and understand why I want to care about these issues, but the short-hand dogwhistle nature of the diarist's reference seems to assign blame without exploring how all the rest of the voting public is supposed to be convinced about the raw simple rightness of those points...

That's what's makes me feel old and tired.  We thought McGovern would be the man to take us out of a terrible darkness; turned out we were wrong...and I mean way wrong...when voting time rolled around.  Don't tell me about "deliberate cruelty"; I get that and have for 50 years.  Tell me what your plan is to electorally fix that cruelty now...

"In a nation ruled by swine, all pigs are upward mobile..." - Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

by Jack K on Thu Jul 07, 2011 at 10:00:52 PM PDT

•  fair question Jack K. thanks.... (3+ / 0-)
        priceman, flowerfarmer, gulfgal98

so let me put a few solutions on the table:

1.  End the endless wars NOW.

2.  Do not expect the most helpless and poor in our nation to pay for these wars, and for what Wall St./the Bankers destroyed (our national economy) to continue to be an excuse to destroy Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid.

3.  Deal with the insane Housing Crisis that no one is dealing with.

4.  Immediately stop the Extended Bush Tax Cuts, NOW.

5.  Immediately demand that the Corporations pay taxes and stop sending our jobs overseas.

These are the issues, the President Obama and our feckless Democrats refuse to deal with, but why in the hell should the Middle Class and poor keep bailing out the Welfare Queens who stole our entire nation's wealth, and why are we continuing to allow ourselves to bend over and take it?

If you do not think that is cruel, then I feel sorry for you, because I do.

I know who is suffering and it sure as hell isn't the top 1 percent that President Obama and our Democrats keep standing up for.

Ms. B.

by Badabing on Thu Jul 07, 2011 at 10:13:35 PM PDT

•  I certainly understand being tired (2+ / 0-)
        earicicle, sewaneepat

I think we need to make peace with the fact that there is no finish line.  Greed will always exist and will continue to try and have its day over and over again.  We work to counterbalance it.  To minimize its gains - every once in a while to beat it back for a while.  But it will always regroup and come back at us.

My frustration with badabing and those who share her world view extends far beyond this diary.  You touch on it perfectly by pointing out the habit of calling out the current problems of the day as intolerable and then pointing fingers at our standard bearers for not simply making them go away.  It is the oversimplification and the unwillingness to understand the full scope of the barriers to change that drive me crazy.  Not because they are unfair to the people we vote for, but because the habit of demonizing those we need to support actually hampers their ability to make any moves towards progress.

The first thing I learned when I became responsible for leading others was that being a leader was not simply a matter of picking the good choice and avoiding the bad one.  More often there was no good choice, just bad ones and worse ones.  This is how I see the landscape for the current admin.  it isn't that I think they always do right.  I simply believe that they are doing their best to do the least wrong.

Anyhow - never give up.  I was reminded of an old saying today, "a wise old man plants trees that he will never see shade from."

Keep planting.  And thanks for chiming in.

WARNING: Your diary/comment/attitude/etc may dishonor Ted Kennedy!

by snout on Thu Jul 07, 2011 at 10:24:53 PM PDT

•  McGovern was the Dems' Goldwater. (0+ / 0-)

The fact that no one realized that is the primary reason for the state we're in now.  If we had, we'd have had a solid liberal candidate in place and available for the 1988 Dem nomination--someone well-known and well-liked.  For the life of me, I don't understand why people can't understand what "be like the GOP" means in matters like this.

The '60s were simply an attempt to get the 21st Century started early....Well, what are we waiting for? There's no deadline on a dream!

by Panurge on Sun Jul 10, 2011 at 08:40:07 PM PDT

• Recommended (136)
  • Community (67)
  • Elections (25)
  • Environment (24)
  • Media (23)
  • Culture (23)
  • Civil Rights (22)
  • Law (22)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (21)
  • Science (21)
  • Josh Duggar (20)
  • Labor (19)
  • Economy (18)
  • Marriage Equality (17)
  • Ireland (17)
  • Rescued (16)
  • Bernie Sanders (16)
  • Hillary Clinton (15)
  • Memorial Day (15)
  • Climate Change (15)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site