View Diary: CA-36: Janice Hahn (D) leads by 8 for tomorrow's special election (223 comments)

•  Maybe a year ago they were, but they've (0+ / 0-)

been following the HP model of sensational stories with little to no facts behind them. Plus, they seem to do a lot of pushing bad polls for Democrats and burying the good polls for Democrats.

President Obama at Madison Rally 9/28/2010 - "Change is not a spectator sport."

by askew on Mon Jul 11, 2011 at 04:19:32 PM PDT

•  TPM is a mixed bag (2+ / 0-)
      itskevin, Curt Matlock

They do mess up themes in their stories, and most importantly they report polling uncritically, even Rasmussen.  It's not the best, I almost get the sense they're dropping the journalistic ball more often than before simply because of their dramatic growth the past few years.

But I still regard Josh Marshall one of the best, and one of the more quick-witted, political analysts in America, and he alone makes the site a must-read for me.  His personal blog posts are what I always want to read.

43, male, Indian-American, married and proud father of a girl and a boy, Democrat, VA-10

by DCCyclone on Mon Jul 11, 2011 at 07:15:58 PM PDT

•  Josh is great, (2+ / 0-)
        DCCyclone, askew

but there's definitely a drift toward sensationalistic coverage of polling and campaigns over there. I used to read them all the time; now I go rarely.

•  They still do some good reporting (2+ / 0-)
          itskevin, Curt Matlock

They do real reporting from a Democratic perspective, and I appreciate that.  It gets buried sometimes between the more crappy stuff as you describe, but it's there.  They pursue a lot of investigative stories with quite a few turning up duds, but they've caught some pretty big fish, too.

But Josh's personal writings are what keep me going there everyday.

by DCCyclone on Mon Jul 11, 2011 at 07:26:12 PM PDT

•  I prefer WashingtonMonthly and PlumLine (0+ / 0-)

over news with a Democratic perspective. I don't always agree with them, but I think they are keeping it honest. I can't say that about TPM any longer.

President Obama at Madison Rally 9/28/2010 - "Change is not a spectator sport."

by askew on Mon Jul 11, 2011 at 08:48:45 PM PDT

•  Plum Line is good but I put Greg a notch below... (2+ / 0-)
              bumiputera, askew

...Josh.  Greg Sargent can be phenomenal and does great reporting, I think his analysis is off more often than Josh's.

I don't think Greg or Ezra Klein, my other WaPo blogging fave, always "get" the politics of why Obama or other Dems are doing what they're doing.  There's a method to the madness, and I think Obama's strategy most often ends up being right, and his critics wrong.

On CA-36, to stay on topic, I'm now thinking Hahn by 11.  The thing about the PPP poll that I can't shake is the 55% white sample.  If that's really what the electorate looks like, 55% white and 45% nonwhite, even in a special when minority turnout wouldn't be as good, then Hahn definitely wins by double digits, maybe even by 15.

But PPP just as easily could off an "off" composition.  Specials are hard to gauge.  PPP's toplines could be exactly right, and yet their sample composition and crosstabs way off.  That's a normal thing for them.

by DCCyclone on Tue Jul 12, 2011 at 03:25:25 AM PDT

•  Just was great when he was a guy with a blog (0+ / 0-)

He and Eric Alterman were essential reads. Now they both seem to have vanished into thin air.

Ok, so I read the polls.

by andgarden on Mon Jul 11, 2011 at 07:58:53 PM PDT