View Diary: CA-36 liveblog thread (260 comments)

•  Will Huey run in 2012? (0+ / 0-)

"every time we start a pie fight a wingnut gets his wings"- MinistryofTruth -6.38, -4.15

by James Allen on Tue Jul 12, 2011 at 08:36:28 PM PDT

•  Better question: who cares? (n/t) (2+ / 0-)
      drhoosierdem, Xenocrypt

Male, VA-08, Born CA-36, SwingStateProject expat

by drobertson on Tue Jul 12, 2011 at 08:39:18 PM PDT

•  Well redistricting (0+ / 0-)

could make the district more competitive.  On the other hand, a regular election would have more reliable turnout.

by James Allen on Tue Jul 12, 2011 at 08:40:58 PM PDT

•  Not that much more Republican (0+ / 0-)

If Hahn wins this by double-digits, she's absolutely safe. The only reason for concern would be if she were to win in a narrow squeaker, but as I posted above the chances of that now are essentially zero.

Male, VA-08, Born CA-36, SwingStateProject expat

by drobertson on Tue Jul 12, 2011 at 08:43:30 PM PDT

•  The new map adds Rancho Palos Verdes (0+ / 0-)

And a few Republican areas nearby but the lines also add Santa Monica which should compensate.

For more election analysis and redistricting maps, check out my blog http://racesandredistricting.blogspot.com/

by Alibguy on Tue Jul 12, 2011 at 08:44:19 PM PDT

•  Regardless of what the PPP poll showed, (0+ / 0-)

this is Feinstein territory. She'll romp here even against a Republican A candidate. If they had any.

•  It's just really hard to make a Rep district (1+ / 0-)
          Zack from the SFV

that includes Hahn and Huey's homes.  Palos Verdes is mildly Republican, but onlu 70,000 people.  You have to either go north through the beach cities, or south to Long Beach, or inland into Carson or Gardena to get enough population, and the district becomes very democratic.

A tentacled gerrymander like now could include san pedro and palos verdes to Orange county, but that won't happen.

by tommypaine on Tue Jul 12, 2011 at 08:49:00 PM PDT

•  Huey doesn't live in the current CA-36 (0+ / 0-)

so he might run in another district in 2012. There's just not a lot of good territory for the Greedy Old Party left in our county. I don't forsee a future in Congress for him. Good riddance, Some Rich Dude!

I'm not a Limousine Liberal; I am a Prius Progressive

by Zack from the SFV on Tue Jul 12, 2011 at 09:34:50 PM PDT

•  I'm just mad (1+ / 0-)
        drhoosierdem

I bothered to learn his first name.

25, Dem, Dude seeing a dude, CT-04(originally), PA-02/NY-12(now)

by Xenocrypt on Tue Jul 12, 2011 at 08:44:35 PM PDT

•  The District Could Get More R (0+ / 0-)

If it takes in more of the Palos Verdes penninsula it could get a little swingier, but it would only flip in a very low turnout election.

NY-12 resident, lives across the street from NY-14

by Bobby Big Wheel on Tue Jul 12, 2011 at 08:42:17 PM PDT

•  Does he have another 3/4 million to waste? (1+ / 0-)
      terjeanderson

Ad hoc, ad loc and quid pro quo! So little time, so much to know!

by KingofSpades on Tue Jul 12, 2011 at 08:43:46 PM PDT

•  The district is going to get more conservative (0+ / 0-)

In the second "visualization", Huey, Hahn, Lowenthal and Richardson were in the same district

•  Wasn't it all Long Beach (1+ / 0-)
        terjeanderson

I don't know Long Beach neighborhoods, but I don't see how that visualization makes it more Republican.  It seems about the same as the first draft, even if wildly different territory.

by tommypaine on Tue Jul 12, 2011 at 08:52:44 PM PDT

•  I don't have any (1+ / 0-)
          terjeanderson

knowledge myself about the redistricting, but if what is mentioned upthread is accurate, it's adding Palos Verdes (relatively sparsely populated - just to the north of Long Beach) and Santa Monica (densely populated.) PV will add mostly Republican votes, but SM will add mostly Dems. I suspect the net will be in the Dems favor. (I've lived in the district my entire life. I could most certainly be wrong, but I don't think I am.)

Knit, purl, or get out of the way!
          Economic: -8.25 Social: -7.44

by mcronan on Tue Jul 12, 2011 at 09:01:39 PM PDT

•  We've got more Dems in PV than you'd think (1+ / 0-)
            mcronan

but we're kind of quiet about it.  We tend to be able to sense other Dems, but we don't usually wear our "I'm a Liberal--Ask me How" shirts.  We're definitely outnumbered, though.

Put another way...one woman I knew who was politically and religiously aligned the way I am told me to be careful who I tell that I am an atheist.

So I don't wear the shirt to the PTA meetings.

"An injury to one is an injury to all"

by jhb90277 on Tue Jul 12, 2011 at 10:57:20 PM PDT

•  I can relate. (1+ / 0-)
              jhb90277

I'm very near your area (in the 90505 area) and I keep very quiet about my atheism and my liberalism. Close friends and my family know, but that's about it (and at work (before I got laid off) we used to quietly suss out who were the liberals and who weren't and we liberals would congregate together and quietly talk about politics, but would otherwise keep our mouths shut.)

Glad to hear PV is more liberal than I realized. The support for the rabid Rohrabacher had me scared that there's more conservatives than may actually be the case.

Knit, purl, or get out of the way!
              Economic: -8.25 Social: -7.44

by mcronan on Tue Jul 12, 2011 at 11:17:05 PM PDT

•  Palos Verdes isn't THAT conservative. (0+ / 0-)

Don't get why people are talking about it as if it's Alabama.

It generally goes 55-45 or 50-50 Republican. It leans Republican, but it's certainly not dependable Republican territory.

by Inoljt on Wed Jul 13, 2011 at 12:03:08 AM PDT

•  It's pretty dependably Republican around here (1+ / 0-)
                  mcronan

The last guy who ran against Rohr got spanked.  Debbie Cook ran  in 2008 and was beaten, but her margin of defeat was the closest in several years.

Rohr was so concerned about her that he stopped putting his party affiliation on his campaign mailers.  Cook lost.

I saw plenty of Huey signs all the way from South High, up PV Blvd and along PVDW to my house.  More in Torrance than PV, but still...

I've lived here for 10 years and though I've seen a subtle shift to the left, it's still very much to the right here.

No, it's not Alabama, but it's sure not up for grabs.

"An injury to one is an injury to all"

by jhb90277 on Wed Jul 13, 2011 at 12:15:37 AM PDT

•  I remember (0+ / 0-)

donating to Debbie Cook outside of the Trader Joe's in San Pedro. I was just glad to see someone taking on Rohrabacher (with folks out in public places asking for donations) and was glad to give what I could.

Knit, purl, or get out of the way!
                    Economic: -8.25 Social: -7.44

by mcronan on Wed Jul 13, 2011 at 07:09:30 PM PDT

•  Maybe I'm wrong about 90505 (1+ / 0-)
                mcronan

but it's never struck me as a bastion of conservatism.  Torrance on the whole seems to be quite diverse, with people representing many groups.  I've worked in 90505, but never lived there, so I could well be wrong.

I think it's our atheism, and not the liberalism, that scares those on the right.  And yes, I think it scares them.

But hey, you've got a fellow Kossack on the hill here.  I can spit to your house.  OK, I can spit to your zip code.  Well, perhaps I'm overestimating my range.

I can drive quickly to your zip codeand spit from there.  Pretty soon we'll both be in the 36th, but in some ways I'll miss being one of the few liberals in the 46th.  I'll miss gloating when Rohr is beaten by a hardcore progressive.

Nah, I wouldn't miss that for the world.

"An injury to one is an injury to all"

by jhb90277 on Wed Jul 13, 2011 at 12:29:55 AM PDT

•  There used to be (0+ / 0-)

so much aerospace around here that Torrance has typically been pretty reliably conservative. I do think that is changing, but not fast enough for me. Mind you, when you talk to people about what they actually think they often are far more left than they realize, but they often vote for Rs in spite of it (in fact, I have a good friend who does that, though she lives out in the IE now). I suspect Torrance is one of the areas, if not the main one, that kept a blue dog like Harman in office as long as she was.

(Heck, here in my apartment building we had someone put a Huey sign in their window... bleargh.) I took a walk earlier today and privately chuckled at the Huey sign posted on PCH. I was just so damn glad he didn't win (and I think his HQ was here in the area... right at the corner of Lomita and Hawthorne. At a minimum, it was a campaign office.)

I regularly drive through your turf (not a spitter, though ;-) whenever I need a break and to see the sights. The views are much better than most of those from the 90505.

Knit, purl, or get out of the way!
                  Economic: -8.25 Social: -7.44

by mcronan on Wed Jul 13, 2011 at 06:56:45 PM PDT

•  It would be worse for him (1+ / 0-)
      terjeanderson

It would be worse for him in 2012.  The Democratic turnout will be much higher in a presidential election year and he will be running against an incumbent.

That said, he may be the only rich person who wants to burn more of his own money running a losing campaign.