View Diary: Independent voters are actually closet partisans (184 comments)

•  Agree with you for the most part but... (3+ / 0-)
    Oh Mary Oh, Odysseus, pot

I'm confused with the jab you make at Nader defenders. I'm one of them- I think he's been unfairly demonized and that the theory that he "stole" Florida from Gore is not based in reality. And yes, I made a comment here yesterday to that effect. That has nothing to do with my politics or how I vote. I consider myself a very solid member of the democratic base.

Will work for food
    Will die for oil
    Will kill for power and to us the spoils
    The billionaires get to pay less tax
    The working poor get to fall through the cracks
    -James McMurty

-9.75/-8.26

by SwedishJewfish on Sun Jul 17, 2011 at 10:29:44 PM PDT

•  living in the past (3+ / 0-)

It was the Supreme Court that cost Gore the election---and Naderites didn't get a vote there. (shrug)

But I fail to see what we gain by re-fighting an election from over a decade ago.

•  My theory is (0+ / 0-)

that the (sorry I am going over the top now) posters oozing infectious pus and seething with rage against the President, if they are Nader voters, don't matter and are not the democratic base.

As I have said they keep telling us that voting for Nader didn't turn the election.

I am saying that many posters here are not from or of the democratic base. In fact they are so disgusted with democrats that their mission is to upset, and overturn the democratic party, in their efforts to reform it. These are theories postulated by Chris Hedges.

So my conclusion is that dKos does not represent Obama's base or the base of the democratic party. They can't be counted on to vote democratic or to help turn out the vote.

~a little change goes a long way~

by missliberties on Mon Jul 18, 2011 at 06:01:17 AM PDT

•  The Naderites (0+ / 0-)

are irrelevant then. Good to know. That is exactly what I am saying. So why should we listening to them at all ever. They don't take any responsibility for their votes counting or not.

These folks are decidedly NOT the base.

~a little change goes a long way~

by missliberties on Mon Jul 18, 2011 at 06:11:25 AM PDT

•  I don't see the upside of that either (1+ / 0-)
        Odysseus

but as long as people keep blaming people who voted for Nader (and for the record I wasn't even old enough to vote in that election) instead of the failure of Gore to run an effective campaign and the failure of FL dems to recognize and push back against the voter disenfranchisement that wiped 100,000 people off the roles, we will never learn. The issue of voter supression is more crucial now than it ever has been. We are setting ourselves up for repeats of Florida and Ohio all over the country in 2012, and THAT is the takeaway message from the 2000 (and 2004) elections. The 1% who voted for Nader will probobly always vote for Greens no matter what and are statistically irrelevent, so why waste time worrying about them?

Will work for food
        Will die for oil
        Will kill for power and to us the spoils
        The billionaires get to pay less tax
        The working poor get to fall through the cracks
        -James McMurty

-9.75/-8.26

by SwedishJewfish on Mon Jul 18, 2011 at 07:27:29 AM PDT

•  IF you voted for Nader (0+ / 0-)

then you are NOT a solid member of the democratic base.

Your theory that Nader did not steal the election lays bare the fact that screaming that you won't vote Obama, or that you won't canvas, is irrelevant to the outcome of the 2012 election.

~a little change goes a long way~

by missliberties on Mon Jul 18, 2011 at 05:54:27 AM PDT

•  huh? (0+ / 0-)

Well first of all I was a sophmore in high school in 2000. I couldn't have voted for Nader if I wanted to. Nevertheless, he didn't steal the election- that was the supreme court.

I have also never screamed that I won't vote Obama, or that I won't canvaas for the dems. I not only voted for Obama in 2008, since I lived in a solid blue state that had him ahead by double digits I went to a swing state (PA) the week of the election to help campaign and GOTV. I'm planning on doing the same in 2012.

Will work for food