View Diary: Gene Robinson destroys Herman Cain (140 comments)

•  I just read the Robinson op-ed (3+ / 0-)
    slksfca, JeffW, Wee Mama

he uses "Catholic Church" which is loosey goosey but means the Vatican.  That is not the same as "Catholics," many of whom are divorced and many of whom are welcomed in Catholic parishes which do not accept the Vatican's rigid dogma.

I've been to more weddings, funerals, baptisms where the presiding Catholic priest has welcomed all to communion or a blessing (if Jewish, agnostic, or not particularly into receiving communion).

I would not use the tag, "Anglicans" if I were writing about homophobic Anglicans -- because that tag does not represent the entire body of the faithful.

" My faith in the Constitution is whole; it is complete; it is total." Barbara Jordan, 1974

by gchaucer2 on Mon Jul 18, 2011 at 10:25:21 PM PDT

•  I disagree with you (12+ / 0-)

If I were writing a story about a group of Anglicans or Presbyterians who were behaving badly, I'd use "Anglican" or "Presbyterian" as a tag, so that someone searching to see if there was already a story or diary about "Anglicans" on the site. Sometimes, one can remember all the details about a story, but one can remember bits and pieces - that's why there are multiple tags.

So, months from now, I remember that some columnist I like wrote a story about some Republican candidate who said a hateful thing about Muslims. I can't remember who it was either, but I want to use that hateful thing that they said as an example of how a mainstream columnist was easily able to shoot down their bogus argument.

But there are likely to be many diaries with Muslims in the tag search.

But I do remember that there was a comparison to Catholics and that the diarist said he was Amish, so I do a search for Catholics, and find it.

•  I guess we will have to (1+ / 0-)
        TofG

disagree.  Personally, I would never use a religious group's name as a tag for one or several odious individuals in the group.  It would be like using the tag "African Americans" for the two snipers (John Allen Mohammad and Lee Boyd Malvo) in the D.C. area.

by gchaucer2 on Mon Jul 18, 2011 at 10:47:55 PM PDT

•  and if there (1+ / 0-)
      midnight lurker

were a horrific crime in your town, and I wrote a diary about it and included your town's name as a tag, would you object to that?

You could make an argument though, that the tag of Catholics is inappropriate for a diary that only invokes them metaphorically and really has no connection.

Fishgrease says "GBCW," Senilebiker says "Kudos to Mike for rattling the cage."

by happymisanthropy on Mon Jul 18, 2011 at 10:54:32 PM PDT

•  ? (0+ / 0-)

What does an eclectic town such as mine have to do with a specific group?  If you wrote a diary about my town, you could put "white people" in your tags because that is the majority -- but what does that mean or say about the white people in my town?  Are they racists?  Poor?  Blue collar workers?  Homeless?  What is the connecting tissue?

What is the connecting tissue of "Catholics"?  Are we all pedophiles -- supporters of pedophiles?  Homophobes?  Virgins?  What the hell does that tag mean?

by gchaucer2 on Mon Jul 18, 2011 at 10:59:57 PM PDT

•  Now that comment says it all! This was (5+ / 0-)

exactly what I was grappling with.  What you said ... all tags would be inappropriate without modifiers,

Like:  Muslims who are terrorists, Muslims who are not terrorists, racism in the Methodist church, black people who are running for President, Obama when he is compromising ...

which would make tags useless.

I hate to quote David Frum here but this may be more apropos, coming from him, "Yes the American media always loves a freak show. But a political party does not have to cooperate."

by alliedoc on Tue Jul 19, 2011 at 05:51:09 AM PDT

•  "Obama when he is compormising"... (1+ / 0-)
          alliedoc

would just be redundant.  Sorry, couldn't help it.

•  Yeah, I could have put more thought into that. eom (0+ / 0-)

by alliedoc on Tue Jul 19, 2011 at 02:12:33 PM PDT

• Texas (21)
  • 2016 (21)
  • Racism (20)
  • Barack Obama (19)
  • Media (19)
  • Environment (19)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site