View Diary: Announcing Daily Kos Labor (248 comments)

•  Nuts ! iykwim . (1+ / 0-)
    Nulwee

"Drop the name-calling." Meteor Blades 2/4/11

by indycam on Tue Jul 19, 2011 at 05:35:04 PM PDT

•  I look forward (4+ / 0-)

to reading about how evil those working class people are when they carry a pistol to defend against professional strikebreaker companies paid to bust skulls - figuratively and if history repeats itself, also literally.

People died of attacks by strikebreakers. Power doesn't give up anything willingly, it fights to keep what it has and it fights to win, not merely till someone yells "Uncle" or "Mercy".

•  So you suggest I bring a gun to the next strike or (2+ / 0-)
        Debby, ruleoflaw

protest, because you know people have been killed and beaten while protesting. That sounds like a good idea, NOT. I think we need the mass of people, not weapons.

We are not broke, we are being robbed.

by Glen The Plumber on Tue Jul 19, 2011 at 08:45:02 PM PDT

•  And I say don't do it... (2+ / 0-)
          Glen The Plumber, ruleoflaw

bringing anything that can be considered a weapon is stupid.  Yes I know that beating and killings happen at protests, but bringing a weapon is asking for it to start.

Yes even the handy 9-iron is considered a weapon in Detroit unless your going to/from a golf course during contract renewal season.

Silence = Consent. Don't be silent any longer

by doingbusinessas on Tue Jul 19, 2011 at 10:03:30 PM PDT

•  Of course not. (0+ / 0-)

I do think there will come a point where small "security" companies will be contracted to "clear trespassers" and "manage the area" where picketers would be picketing.

I do keep in mind that "security" company called Drop Zone that alaska senate candidate joe miller hired. You will recall they are the people that grabbed and handcuffed and detained a newspaper reporter because of the questions the guy was asking.

by JayFromPA on Wed Jul 20, 2011 at 06:15:12 AM PDT

•  Not helping. (5+ / 0-)

I have been a union man (and a responsible owner of a firearm) for all my adult life.  I have been part of the labor struggle since I ate government-surplus peanut butter when my Dad was laid off. (The peanut butter was very good.  The hollow despair on my father's face took made my chest hurt.) I was up to my ears in the fight here in Wisconsin when Scott Walker's nanny was wiping his ass. Those are my credentials.

Our present battle is winning the recall elections and thereby flipping the state senate.  Meanwhile, my gun will remain in it's case, locked up, at home.  We have allies in this battle and Mark (Kodiak54) Andersen is one of them.

Your comment appears to be an attempt to hijack a comment thread.  Please don't do that. If you have issues with Kodiak54, fine, have them.  If you want to be taken seriously, write RKBA diaries till the last clay pigeon is shattered.  I'll read them, I might even recommend them.

All I ask is that you take a minute to stop and breathe.

Mark Andersen is a good and decent man who cares deeply about his community both online and out on the street. He writes rather well and he's no slouch with a camera. He won my respect on the streets and in the Capitol Rotunda in Madison. If he gets mentioned by kos in the same sentence with Laura Clawson, Meteor Blades, Hunter and Steve Singiser, he has earned it.

We cheeseheads are having a revolution and we need all the help we can get. The day of violent confrontation may come.  I dread such a day but I'm not ruling it out.
        That's why I'm peacefully working so hard to fix our state government.

Come on Jay, I'm fighting for the future of my kids here. Kneecapping my allies isn't helping.

Somebody on the internet wrote something you disagreed with.  Please don't brood over it.  It is all just ones and zeroes, brother.

If you can play the cowbell, thank a sheet metal worker.

by ruleoflaw on Wed Jul 20, 2011 at 06:35:50 AM PDT

•  Very well said. n/t (4+ / 0-)
          Kodiak54, ruleoflaw, lineatus, Floja Roja

We are not broke, we are being robbed.

by Glen The Plumber on Wed Jul 20, 2011 at 08:26:35 AM PDT

•  I feel it is related to labor (1+ / 0-)
          ruleoflaw

in the element of strikebreakers.

Also, if we're doing bona fides, I love the UFCW and was not making the best choice when I left that job. C'est le vie.

I am under no impression that people will sit down nicely and negotiate when a union is voted in. Between all the stories of walmart stores being closed upon adoption of a union, coupled with the history of strikebreakers.

Remember blair mountain, the biggest labor protest in the history of this nation, big enough that the US MILITARY was deployed into the area.

Note the story diaried just today of the Hyatt turning on the heat lamps in front of the hotel to make the 90 degree heat even more dangerous to the picketers. Does that count as assault? It's their right to picket and to collectively bargain, so does pouring MORE heat on those people count as attempted assault with intent to cause heat stroke?

This is early in the re-orientation of the nation away from serving the oligarchs, what's going to happen later?

I'm glad kodiak made the choice for himself, to not have thin skin, to stay around. Why do I even have to say that? Isn't it obvious that people come here because they want to and stay only as long as they want to? Isn't it obvious that a mere diarist cannot chase someone off? That it is actually not a thing that can be achieved? Yet for some reason such a thing is believed, and so I have to try and apologize for something I could not have done, was not involved in anyway, and didn't even happen in the first place? Say what? Sigh, whichever, just let that go. It's done

I'm just remembering my history, and pulling in all the labor movement / depression videos from netflix that I can get hold of. The pickings are slim.

And there's one thing I'm sure of. People with Power do not give it up willingly or politely. They do things like turn on the heat lamps on a 90 degree day, they do things like threaten to throw any complainer out of house and home at any time of year if they squeal anything about the nefarious business at Massey Coal.

The oligarchy people with Power use that power against those of the lower class, those expendable lower class people like me, before they give it up. And I'm not looking forward to being told I have to sit and take a beating, take a beating, take a beating, on and on until the strikebreaker's arm gets tired and the teabagger boss decides he's going to sprout morals and be gracious with his economic power.

"I must confess, when I see anyone with an Obama 2012 bumper sticker, I recognize them as a threat to the gene pool." - Republican Congressman Allen West (FL-22) Rawstory

by JayFromPA on Thu Jul 21, 2011 at 05:03:23 PM PDT

•  You're correct to say that (0+ / 0-)

people with power never give it up willingly and I don't expect the moneyed class to play fair.

I worry about violence messing up what's been achieved so far here in Wisconsin.  We are fighting back and I believe we will flip the state senate on August 9th.
            They have played very dirty so far and it's only hurt them with the voters.  I want us to win. I'd rather have a clean win if possible and from here it looks very possible.

It's a long struggle brother.  We can only fight it one round at a time. The Republicans and their money-men have chosen the methods of Mao. Ironic, no?
            If it comes to confrontation, I'd rather do like Ghandi did.  Just because we're peaceful doesn't mean we're passive.

I know you're angry. I am too. But we've got to make the political process work for us.  The Democratic Party is at a crossroads.  They can become a real "Labor" party or cease to be relevant.  The Dems here in Wisconsin get it.

We shall see.

Peace, Jay.

If you can play the cowbell, thank a sheet metal worker.

by ruleoflaw on Fri Jul 22, 2011 at 05:57:34 PM PDT