View Diary: Tim DeChristopher (Bidder #70) is sentenced to 2 years in Federal Prison $10,000 Fine (172 comments)

•  I defy someone to say that we don't live in a (15+ / 0-)

fascist country. This is one of the most disgusting abuses of power, especially because Mr DeCristopher was able to pay for all the bids he made.
    Shame on Obama for not clearing out the all the Republican holdovers in the DOJ, just like other administrations have done.

"How I hate those who are dedicated to producing conformity." William S Burroughs

by shmuelman on Tue Jul 26, 2011 at 04:53:14 PM PDT

•  we do NOT live in a fascist country (2+ / 0-)
      fizziks, cville townie

however sometimes our behavior is indistinguishable from that of one .

We will fix it. We have the opportunity to.

History will remember this brave young man a million times better than President Cheney and sleep-at-the-wheel-Obama

•  We do Not live in a fascist country (0+ / 0-)

not even fucking close.  He got a trial.  I've lived in one authoritarian country and one post fascist country and my father was a refugee from a third

In a real fascist country he would have been summarily executed after the auction (roughly what happened to my grandfather) or sent off to the labor camps for the rest of his life with no trial (my uncle). And us?  Wed have been disappeared long ago

I wish people understood what fascism is before throwing terms around.  Sorry to rant

Intelligent, passionate, perceptive people will always disagree, but we should not let that disagreement, however heartfelt, lead us to become deaf to those better angels of our nature.

by Mindful Nature on Tue Jul 26, 2011 at 10:01:10 PM PDT

•  Authoritarian and Fascist overlap... (3+ / 0-)
        Deep Harm, Ken in MN, JVolvo

we do increasingly have fascist tendencies and Oligarchical strong-arming of our government... we are not authoritarian but we do have some Fascistic elements... and even a set of  subsidized promotional dupes in the astro-turf Tea Party... which are in some ways an echo of the right wing activists in Italy and Germany in the 20s and 30s... able to succeed in part due to finance by the wealthy who are not happy with plural democracy getting in the way of their bottom line...

Pogo & Murphy's Law, every time. Also "Trust but verify" - St. Ronnie (hah...)

by IreGyre on Wed Jul 27, 2011 at 01:21:58 AM PDT

•  We'll just have to disagree on that. (1+ / 0-)
        shmuelman

I think that the emotional content in the word 'fascism' prevents a consensus on whether or not a particular nation is fascist.  I see many indicators that say 'fascism' to me, and scary movement toward a much worse situation.  That's enough for me to conclude that the U.S. is indeed a fascist state.  However, I use the word 'corporatist' instead.  Unfortunately, 'corporatist' doesn't adequately address the intense hatred of sanity, reason, and tolerance, that I see blossoming in this country like a carrion flower.

BTW,  I see Tim Christopher as a hero, regardless of the ultimate tag we apply to this country.  He went against powerful forces (the oil companies and their government), knowing full well that he would 'lose', but committed to making a difference.

I am become Man, the destroyer of worlds

by tle on Wed Jul 27, 2011 at 07:33:18 AM PDT

•  yeah (0+ / 0-)

we're agreed on TdC being a hero, whatever the political definitions.  I'd agree with corporatist, but yes, I tend to interpret facsism as also including a strong strain of authoritarianism, with the lack of rule of law that implies.

but that's more polisci abstraction, I guess, that doesn't have a good answer..

BTW, have you signed the 350.org petition against Keystone XL?

by Mindful Nature on Wed Jul 27, 2011 at 10:29:33 PM PDT

•  Nope (0+ / 0-)

I rarely sign petitions.  I don't see them having any impact.  But I do need to send an email to Bill Nelson, my senator.  Right now, the House is in the grip of the death-worshippers, and I have NO confidence in Obama doing anything, so the only hope I see right now lies with stopping it in the Senate.  A faint hope, but better than no hope.

Hugely important issue, BTW.

I am become Man, the destroyer of worlds

by tle on Thu Jul 28, 2011 at 05:24:33 AM PDT

•  You have a very distorted idea of fascism (0+ / 0-)

Fascism does not mean a radical police state
        Mussolini, a fella who would know about such things said "Fascism should more appropriately be called Corporatism because it is a merger of state and corporate power."
        The fact that someone would be "made an example" for having the temerity to stand up to private bidding in a possibly illegal sale, and then could back his bids up with money, is what I call fascism.

The fact that we are not a Stalinist country, at this time, does not mean that the court system  is not being leveraged for private interests. Almost every touchstone of fascism is filled in this country, except a few that won't work here, like suspending all Constitutional rights, not just the the Fourth Amendment.

by shmuelman on Wed Jul 27, 2011 at 08:24:07 AM PDT

•  under that definitino (0+ / 0-)

I suppose so.  We don't have a lot of examples of self-declared fascist states, so I tend to think that they involve authoritarianism too.  I mean "communist" in theory doens't imply authoritarianism, necessarily, although there aren't examples of any other kind.

But yes, there's something of a irony that post imploring people to use words precisely muddles fascism, Stalinism, and authoritarianism generally.

:D

by Mindful Nature on Wed Jul 27, 2011 at 10:31:39 PM PDT

•  He PAID for them?! WTF?! Where's the crime? (2+ / 0-)
      Crazy like a fox, shmuelman

Is it only that he wasn't an oil company?  Is that to say that people that want to preserve our natural beauty and environment are precluded from bidding on these leases?

The fact that he was able to pay for them, alone, shows that they are selling far to cheaply.

Whatatravesty.