View Diary: Media pounds Bachmann migraines, campaign defends manhandling reporter (256 comments)

•  I was going to invoke Tom Eagleton... (1+ / 0-)
    alliedoc

...but that would be mean.  He was just an inoffensive hack, not a psychopath.

I'll Rochambeau you for it.

by Rich in PA on Wed Jul 20, 2011 at 10:32:15 AM PDT

•  On the Daily Rundown today, Chuck Todd (2+ / 0-)
      txdemfem, msmacgyver

pushed the idea that this was a sexist accusation.  Women .... headaches .... get it?

I don't get it.  Todd also mentioned that he has gallstones and can have an hour where he is incapacitated.  Well, that is nothing like a full blown migraine, which can last for a day or more.

What is wrong with these reporters?  Todd went over the line on defending her on this.

I hate to quote David Frum here but this may be more apropos, coming from him, "Yes the American media always loves a freak show. But a political party does not have to cooperate."

by alliedoc on Wed Jul 20, 2011 at 10:38:56 AM PDT

•  Wishing gallstones x1000 upon toddy. (1+ / 0-)
        alliedoc
      •  Do you have any proof that she has migraines (1+ / 0-)
        alliedoc

that will last a day or more?   There is nothing but rumors about the seriousness of her migraines.  The drugs get better every year, she will have the best health care in the world - I think this is a non-story and I do think its a bit sexist.

•  it's also pointlessly partisan patter (1+ / 0-)
          falina

After all, NOBODY here would support impeaching Obama if it turned out he had migraines.

It's a silly nonstory, and we're just cackling like roosters over it because it involves someone we don't like and we can whack the pinata again.

•  nonstory unless you are running against her. (0+ / 0-)

I would think that if a president had unpredictable periods of multiple days where he/she could not work, then it would be an issue to the voters.  Why wouldn't it be?

by alliedoc on Wed Jul 20, 2011 at 02:52:53 PM PDT

•  It is sexist, and if I didn't (0+ / 0-)

think she was bat-shit crazy I'd be EXTREMELY PISSED about it. As it is, too bad for her, but I think she should resign from Congress, go home and lay down in a dark room for a long time.

But that's just me.

Out in the west Texas town of El Paso...

by falina on Wed Jul 20, 2011 at 11:31:38 AM PDT

•  That is just you and a lot of people. But, (0+ / 0-)

you would be wrong.  Women get migraines more frequently than men.  That isn't sexist.  It is biology.

by alliedoc on Wed Jul 20, 2011 at 02:45:37 PM PDT

•  Well, this is the source and it comes from (0+ / 0-)

the disgruntled staff I mentioned previously.  I think it is acknowledged.  Politico.

by alliedoc on Wed Jul 20, 2011 at 02:43:19 PM PDT

•  Obviously, (1+ / 0-)
        cardinal

You don't have them and haven't lived with someone who did.  Chuck Todd is absolutely correct.  This is our way to make hay out of this.  We defend her against these absolutely sexist remarks and look like the good guys with women voters, because we stand up for their rights, even when the candidate won't (can't?) stand up for hers.  Maybe she's learning a dirty secret about the "Republican" party today, its run by a bunch of old, white southern men who are really deep down anti-woman.

This attack worked quite well last year in the Senate race in Colorado.  DA Ken Buck refuses to prosecute an admitted rapist (on tape no less) because the woman "led him on" and "deserved it" and may have had an abortion.  The attack by Bennet's campaign worked like a charm.  It was a turning point.

•  Rape. That is just not close to this. If (0+ / 0-)

Bachmann gets migraines, it is a fact of her biology, not something that you can call sexist.  If she doesn't get migraines, then the rumor of it IS sexist.  But, don't confuse biology with sexism.  The sexes are different, period.

by alliedoc on Wed Jul 20, 2011 at 02:48:42 PM PDT

•  But then, Todd is poo-pooing the (2+ / 0-)
        Fixed Point Theorem, alliedoc

Fall of the Murdoch Empire.

Chuck Todd is a RW hack.

May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house. George Carlin

by msmacgyver on Wed Jul 20, 2011 at 11:05:30 AM PDT

•  He's a hack for sure. As I read the Politico (1+ / 0-)
          msmacgyver

article, I see just how much.  He didn't say one word about her maybe actually having migraines.  He just wanted to fan the flames of bias or sexism.  Hack.

by alliedoc on Wed Jul 20, 2011 at 02:49:40 PM PDT

•  so if Obama had migraines . . . (0+ / 0-)

you'd support impeachment?