View Diary: Reid drops backup plan, Pelosi outlines revenue-free debt limit path (292 comments)

•  So Is Pelosi Now A "Caver" Too? (6+ / 0-)

Just wondering.

There's a reason Dems are trying to deal. They really don't want the pain of a default. It would be horrendous and catastrophic. They care.

Repubs don't care.

I know everyone says "You don't negotiate with terrorists!", and that's true when dealing with terrorists who have hostages and you can actually shoot the actual terrorists in the head and then go get the hostages.

That option doesn't exist with House Republicans too many of whom are quite willing to send the economy off the cliff.

Dems are dealing because they have to in order to save the country from catastrophe. Pelosi knows this which is why she's offering up a horrible, horrible deal.

This post is dedicated to myself, without whom, I'd be somebody else. Though I'd still be an asshole. My Music: http://www.myspace.com/beetwasher

by Beetwasher on Fri Jul 22, 2011 at 12:43:54 PM PDT

•  Yeah, this has to be true. (3+ / 0-)
      Beetwasher, Jerry056, gclaxton

Republicans are at a humongous advantage since tax phobia is in the water in the USA.  Republicans will pay 'some' price for the lack of cooperation, but not nearly if the situation were reversed and a bunch of progressives were holding the country hostage for enormous tax increases.

In that sense, I do agree with wingnuts that this is a rightist country.

From Neocon to sane- thanks to Obama- and Kos.

by satrap on Fri Jul 22, 2011 at 12:52:30 PM PDT

•  It's The Media Really (4+ / 0-)
        satrap, Jerry056, wishingwell, zmom

I know it's frustrating hearing some of the language Obama uses, especially to those of us who know better, however, he's got to speak in the lexicon that people (most people that is, the 99% who aren't us junkies) understand.

In that sense, the lexicon IS skewed to the right in favor of Repub meme's and talking points. So things HAVE to be talked about in those terms so the people who need to be persuaded can understand the issues on their terms (more emotionally than reasonably).

The trick is, and I think Obama is doing this, is OWNING the lexicon and making it mean what YOU want it to mean and controlling the debate.

What's getting lost in the shuffle with regard to this whole debate is how tax increases are no longer a dirty word and in fact big majorities now favor them.  I know we hear a lot of screaching about how it was a tactical error to "put entitlement cuts on the table" but frankly I think that tactical move pales in comparison to the FACT that it is NOW OK TO DISCUSS TAX INCREASES and you won't be completely shitcanned for doing so. In fact, you can do so and know that sizeable majorities agree with you.

by Beetwasher on Fri Jul 22, 2011 at 01:00:45 PM PDT

•  should stop calling them tax increases (0+ / 0-)

it is getting rich people to pay their fair share.

•  if the cuts come from the military she is not (2+ / 0-)
      COBALT1928, wishingwell

the military expenditures needs to be slashed.  The US could afford to defund the military for 5 years and still have a stronger military than the next 10 combined.

•  Don't agree. Giving in to blackmail (6+ / 0-)

invites future blackmail.  If there's no deal there will not be a default.  REmember how the market crashed when the REpubs shot down TARP?  Remember how fast they came back and passed TARP?  Their corporate task masters will not allow a default.  This is all kabuki theater and Obama is the ringleader.

•  There A Significant Amount Of Batshit Crazy Repubs (2+ / 0-)
        Jerry056, wishingwell

Who don't care if we default. That needs to be reckoned with. In addition, Boner is an incompetent buffoon who cannot control his caucus.

This is why Nancy is stepping up. She cares. She does not want to default, so she's stepping into the breach.

by Beetwasher on Fri Jul 22, 2011 at 01:17:30 PM PDT

•  Then use the shock doctrine to destroy the (0+ / 0-)

Republican party once and for all. Go all in, dare them to blow up the economy. And when they do, use the massive outpouring of hate from everyone who just lost their savings to kill this party.

The world would be a better place for it.

How far to the right do the Dems have to move before you stop calling them Dems?

by Diebold Hacker on Fri Jul 22, 2011 at 02:26:29 PM PDT

•  sorry.. (0+ / 0-)

..but your post is at best insincere. The only person that I've heard say anything that is in consideration of the American people is Bernie Sanders. The rest of these shitheads make generalized, vague statements.Perhaps good for Soundbites on Hardball, but meaningless as discernable information. Like the line from "The Outlaw Josie Wells"...."Endevor to persavere"
      I think President Truman put it best.
      "plain talk is easily understood"

•  Hostage takers (0+ / 0-)

Usually when people take others hostage, they don't do so in plain sight of the whole world. We know who they are. We know where they work. Why do we put up with this?

Send in the swat team, aka bully pulpit. Shame the fuck out of them on national teevee, every day.

by Diebold Hacker on Fri Jul 22, 2011 at 02:22:51 PM PDT