View Diary: DADT Repeal Has Been Certified (294 comments)

•  What impact will this have on the Academies? (10+ / 0-)

I think there could be a real struggle there; the conservative Christian evangelizing among the military has focused specifically on the officer corps, through the academies.  I think that hurdle will be far higher than in the enlisted ranks.  And having worked in higher ed my entire career, believe me, I've seen how effectively new policies can be stonewalled.

I'm one of those lucky homos in a bi-national relationship - at the age of 49, all I had to do was give up my career, leave behind my dying father, my aging, diabetic mother, my family & friends and move to the Netherlands. Easy peasey!

by aggieric on Fri Jul 22, 2011 at 01:44:00 PM PDT

•  They were able to forestall open LGBs from this (10+ / 0-)

applying to get into this coming year's class.  But not next year.

•  Academies will be able to accept gays. (9+ / 0-)

If the people accepting applications are discriminating against gays, there appears to be no avenue for appeal or redress for gay and lesbian applicants.

"New York was a big win for gay-marriage advocates, no question." -- Maggie Gallagher, Wall Street Journal

by Scott Wooledge on Fri Jul 22, 2011 at 01:50:51 PM PDT

•  That's mostly confined to the Air Force Academy (7+ / 0-)

Which is located in Colorado Springs. The Evangelical Christianity HQ.

The other service academies haven't been taken over like that

•  Religion should be banned from state funded (5+ / 0-)
      aggieric, pot, davidincleveland, celdd, kyril

academies in my opinion.

“Do not think that I came to bring peace on Earth; I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. For I came to set a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law." - Jesus

by Jose Bidenio on Fri Jul 22, 2011 at 02:05:13 PM PDT

•  Religion should be banned? (0+ / 0-)

In what sense?

•  In the sense that the air force academy (5+ / 0-)
          pot, khereva, davidincleveland, celdd, kyril

has a lot of problems with a specific form of Christianity being forced upon people and people who won't 'accept' it having a lot harder time.

I don't agree with 'banned', but there certainly shouldn't be any pressure in our military to conform to a specific religion.

•  In the sense that state funds should not be used (6+ / 0-)

to "establish" it.

Atheists Seek Chaplain Role in the Military

FAYETTEVILLE, N.C. — In the military, there are more than 3,000 chaplains who minister to the spiritual and emotional needs of active duty troops, regardless of their faiths. The vast majority are Christians, a few are Jews or Muslims, one is a Buddhist. A Hindu, possibly even a Wiccan may join their ranks soon.

But an atheist?

Strange as it sounds, groups representing atheists and secular humanists are pushing for the appointment of one of their own to the chaplaincy, hoping to give voice to what they say is a large — and largely underground — population of nonbelievers in the military.

Great article.

I guess I'd be ok with it if there were 3,000 atheist chaplains similarly spreading their brand of secular-humanism.  Religion is everywhere in the military.  I'd rather it be privately funded by religion, with full access to servicemembers, but no state funding.

by Jose Bidenio on Fri Jul 22, 2011 at 04:43:53 PM PDT

•  I would love to see atheist chaplains.... (4+ / 0-)

....in the military.

Further, as long as it's religion-neutral, there is an interest served by our keeping chaplains on the military payroll. They have an important role in the morale of our military, that in my opinion well justifies the cost of keeping them around. I think there should absolutely be diversity of religious viewpoints represented, including atheism, but I don't think we should get rid of the chaplaincy.

•  I'm guessing that if there were no chaplains (0+ / 0-)

in the military, then DADT would have been repealed a long time ago, or never passed in the first place.

There are a lot of young impressionable minds in the military, far away from home, and in a state of change, stress and fear.  I remember it well.

I also remember one chaplain who paid for free bowling and free beer over a X-mas break for those remaining on base at an A-School.  I also remember a Christian and then a Jewish chaplain who were unable to provide me with the Qur'an when I requested it.  Finally, I did receive a copy from a Saudi officer on base.  The chaplains initially told me that there were no copies of the Qur'an on base and that a copy would have to be bought, but it would cost $200 and that was too expensive.  I told them that $200 was a lot cheaper than a lawsuit.  True and long story.  But it was eye-opening.  So, was reading the Qur'an until I got to some passages that I can't repeat here because I got HR'd to oblivion last time I quoted those.

I was raised Christian, and I just shake my head in disbelief at all the Abrahamic religions.

I also recall that Stalin lifted the Soviet ban on religion during WWII to, like you said, build morale and engender support for the war effort.

So, I'm also guessing without chaplains and religion in the military, there would likely be fewer wars, less need for military, and a lot of lives and money saved.  Just sayin'.

by Jose Bidenio on Fri Jul 22, 2011 at 06:57:58 PM PDT

•  Did you read the whole comment? (3+ / 0-)
          khereva, davidincleveland, kyril

He said from the state funded academies.

‎'You have to understand Neo, most of these people are not ready to be unplugged, and many of them are so inert, so hopelessly dependent on the system, that they will fight to protect it.' Morpheus

by pot on Fri Jul 22, 2011 at 05:03:58 PM PDT

•  Yes. That was what I was trying to figure out. (0+ / 0-)

In what sense would the parent commenter want religion "banned" from the state-funded academies?

•  In the sense that gov't money could not fund it? (2+ / 0-)
              davidincleveland, kyril

As a violation of the establishment clause?

grieving citizen of the murdered Republic, unrepentant rebel against the Empire.

by khereva on Fri Jul 22, 2011 at 05:14:27 PM PDT

•  If those academies are pushing Evangelism (2+ / 0-)
              davidincleveland, kyril

it should be stopped. Separation of church and state and all. Did you see the comment the guy originally responded to? In it they make the case that the higher ups in these academies may work against the repeal of DADT in underhanded ways because of their right wing religious beliefs.

by pot on Fri Jul 22, 2011 at 06:30:08 PM PDT