View Diary: DADT Repeal Has Been Certified (294 comments)

•  IOW (2+ / 0-)
    davidincleveland, kyril

You have no real response.  Thanks for playing, though.

by FogCityJohn on Fri Jul 22, 2011 at 08:10:34 PM PDT

•  For christ's sake man .. (0+ / 0-)

I just noticed that you're a lawyer, and in SF .. my neck of the woods.  Well, my entire family are lawyers, my best friend is on the fast track for partner at Orrick, and I only just escaped that fate by virtue of realizing we have WAY too many lawyers already .. but honestly, I can't even begin to fathom how you've survived in that profession with the lack of rhetorical sophistication and childish pursuit of utterly unnecessary arguments.

Either you spend most of your days chasing ambulances, or you allow yourself to give vent to all your worst qualities in the cozy, and anonymous, confines of the blogosphere.  Either way, I'm simply not interested in engaging such a meaningless argument with you, you're spinning your wheels trying to pick a fight that didn't need picking and which you seem ill equipped to prosecute anyway.

So please, run away and hold onto some shred of dignity, if not integrity.

•  Goodness, Aunt Pittypat! (2+ / 0-)
        davidincleveland, kyril

Get the smelling salts!  "Shred of dignity"?  Really?  Please.

I'm sorry that my pointing out your homophobic remark got your nose out of joint.  You've gotten into these discussions in other LGBT diaries, so you're not a newbie.  It's really too bad that you can't accept the fact that you are (again, perhaps unconsciously) stereotyping.  Homophobia is pervasive in this society.  You, me, everyone is affected by it.  So please don't act all indignant when someone tells you you've stepped in it.

by FogCityJohn on Fri Jul 22, 2011 at 09:10:56 PM PDT

•  I get into these discussions because I find .. (0+ / 0-)

behavior in the form of outrageous and intellectually disingenuous accusations, reprehensible and aesthetically offensive.  You don't know me, AT ALL, and your many replies to me are as stark an indication of precisely that as I could ever muster.  You interpret comments how you like, with little adherence to contextual relevance and as a result you say, and continue saying, on and on and on, stupid, slanderous things.

I have an aunt who is gay, an uncle is gay, a best friend from college who is gay, and a number of friends from the work place who are gay.  I live just outside the city and I AM NOT A HOMOPHOBE, and your contention to the contrary is not only an indictment of your perceptiveness, but an affront to my person ... PLEASE DESIST.  One would presume that you are better than such nonsense .. "one", certainly not "me" at this point.  Now go away, this will be my last reply to your classless attacks on my character.

•  Hmmm . . . (1+ / 0-)
            kyril

Were I someone unsure of my own intellectual abilities, I might well attempt to impress my interlocutor through the use of grandiloquent language.  Unfortunately, such feared deficiency in my intellectual abilities might, indeed, prove to be real, and thus my efforts at grandiloquence would lead me astray, and into the use of malapropisms.  Perhaps sadder still, my interlocutor might see through my pomposity and thinly-veiled attempts to impress and find himself wryly amused by the fact that my rhetorical reach had so far exceeded my grasp.

On the other hand, were I one less obstinate, I might tarry a moment to consider the (perhaps too subtle?) distinction to which my interlocutor had sought to draw my attention.  To wit, that which exists between "being a homophobe" and "saying something homophobic."  It is certainly to be hoped that this would not be lost on one, although it well might be, especially if one were one so foolish as to think that his interlocutor would be either cowed or overawed by a few five-cent words.

by FogCityJohn on Fri Jul 22, 2011 at 10:06:21 PM PDT

•  Hahaha .. was that an actual attempt at (0+ / 0-)

grandiloquence.  I guess maybe, perhaps you were somewhat successful, but honestly I can't tell if you were seriously having a go, or just engaging in ironic charicature.  Either way, stick to your earlier platitudes and brevity of what passes for wit .. you may have passed the bar, but I can't imagine you've published much more than the barest of briefs.

As for the heart of your reply, and the apparent crux of your contentions, that I was in some way being homophobic in my commentary .. well, I've since gone over the written record and am pretty confident in the assertion that homophobia has not entered into the picture, and any nasty screeds on my part (as so succinctly and simply conveyed by Clark) have had nothing whatsoever to do with your sexuality (presumed), and everything to do with your outrageous characterization of my motives and my person.

I'm really not a bad guy, I'm not typically prone to engaging in pissy online fights, and I am certainly not a homophobe, and after all these obnoxious little contretemps, I always feel like extending some perfunctory, at the very least, olive branch .. but goddamn if you and your crowd here at dKos don't rub me the wrong way with your utter lack of perspective and knee-jerk reactions to any and all perceived slights, be it from myself, other kossaks or the President.  It was old to begin with and has only soured with time.  Have fun with the boys, and I wish you a future less preoccupied with parsing every single confrontation for personal slights, that strikes me as a very burdensome and unhappy way of living your life.

•  Your irony meter is broken (2+ / 0-)
                davidincleveland, kyril

That is, if you seriously couldn't tell my comment was snark.

Oh, and here's a piece of advice.  Put more effort into making your writing understandable than into this affected pseudointellectual style you've got going on.

BTW, briefs are filed; they are not published.

by FogCityJohn on Sat Jul 23, 2011 at 12:40:23 AM PDT

•  "filed" not "published" (0+ / 0-)

Thanks for the clarification .. oh wait I guess I just wrongly assumed it would have been pretty clear that that particular legal terminology was not a functional segue .. but then, I guess you're just trying to score points where and when you can.

As for comprehensible writing, ironic in the extreme coming from a lawyer, when you spend most of your time writing academic papers, there is an assumption that the people reading are also capable of comprehension, and as for either the "affected" or "pseudo" part of that writing, again, I'll stand on my credentials and accomplishments any day of the week, thank you for concern though.

ps.  One could have assumed your post was snark, but some snark is so awkwardly engaged as to be almost indistinguishable from sincere idiocy ... I'm glad for you though that it was in fact  snark ... congrats on that.

•  Did you just come in here to beat up (3+ / 0-)
        FogCityJohn, davidincleveland, kyril

on gay people? What a nasty screed. Really disgusting.

"New York was a big win for gay-marriage advocates, no question." -- Maggie Gallagher, Wall Street Journal

by Scott Wooledge on Fri Jul 22, 2011 at 09:56:27 PM PDT

•  No big deal (4+ / 0-)

He's actually pretty harmless.  He doesn't understand that people can say homophobic things even when they don't intend to be homophobic.  Unfortunately, he seems to think he has a flair for language he doesn't actually possess.

by FogCityJohn on Fri Jul 22, 2011 at 10:52:40 PM PDT

•  Cute .. (0+ / 0-)

You've already demonstrated your lack of rhetorical chops, multiple times ... where is it you purportedly work, as a lawyer, by the way?

I, on the other hand, have been published multiple times, in multiple magazines ... so whatever your thoughts are on the matter ... well, I've pretty much already made it clear just how much stock I place in them.

I'm bored now, with you, with Clark, with your entire little cabal, your jumping at shadows and your textbook persecution complex.  It seemed worthy of an evening to delve into your psyche, but I now see just how shallow a venture that actually was.

•  Geez (3+ / 0-)
              davidincleveland, Clarknt67, kyril

You are a pompous little shit, aren't you?  You've been published in multiple magazines?  Really?  Got links?  I'd really love to read the articles.  If they're full of the kind of turgid prose that makes up your comments, they're bound to be a hoot.

by FogCityJohn on Sat Jul 23, 2011 at 12:23:57 AM PDT

•  Pompous is all relative .. and as I relate to a (0+ / 0-)

dKos comment thread  .. yeah I guess that is probably a fair conclusion.

As for links, those would entail a loss of anonymity, which given the often nasty nature of this board (myself included, unfortunately) I have absolutely no intention of relinquishing.

As for being turgid, on an anonymous political board in which motivation and subtext is almost impossible to glean, you'll just have to forgive me for bothering to take the tiniest bit of time to try and more fully articulate a point or perspective.

I know it must not be as satisfying as all the rah-rah 2 liners that people love to drop and see all the sycophantic recs pile up, but in the circles I frequent some basic attempt at actual communication is appreciated.

•  No. (1+ / 0-)
              kyril

He demonstrated his rhetorical chops at the top of the rec list right now. The deliriously great reviews in the comment section demonstrate your judgement of "rhetorical chops" is as suspect as your "support" for LGBT equality.

by Scott Wooledge on Sat Jul 23, 2011 at 09:32:11 AM PDT

•  So, let me get this straight .. (0+ / 0-)

I get into a pissing contest with one of your buddies ...happens ALL the time here at Kos where egos and ideologies run wild and the neutered nature of the internet makes negotiating the two all the tougher ... and you use that to call into question my "support of LGBT equality?

That's a classy maneuver Clark, thanks for joining us down here in the gutter.

•  Et tu Brute (0+ / 1-)
          Hidden by:
          kyril

I guess we come full circle, to that point where I ultimately end up losing total respect for your tolerance of others perspectives, particularly when those don't actually fly in the face of your principles.

You can be the unyielding activist all you want, I participate as a moderating force trying to interpose some objectivity and clarity into what are often emotionally not particularly objective discussions.  And for that I get the shit you just posted, laughable by the way, and the utter shit that joker FogCityHowTheFuckAmIStillALawyerWithTheDumbAsDirtRhetoricIEngageIn keeps plastering up.

Goodbye Clarknt67, I wish it was better to have known you, but I can't really see the point in trying any longer.

•  Well, that'll happen. (1+ / 0-)
            kyril

If you feel empowered to make a disgusting personal attacks like that on a person who is not only a very intelligence, thoughtful man, but a good friend to me.

Can't say I'll miss seeing you verbally abuse people in my comments thread. I began this diary with a plea for civil commenting so we could all enjoy it together. And you crossed the line WAAAAAAAAY back there. <-------

by Scott Wooledge on Sat Jul 23, 2011 at 09:36:40 AM PDT

•  HRd (0+ / 0-)

for personal attack.

"Let’s just move on, treat everybody with firmness, fairness, dignity, compassion and respect. Let’s be Marines." - Sgt. Maj Michael Barrett on DADT repeal

by kyril on Sat Jul 23, 2011 at 10:01:49 AM PDT