View Diary: Abbreviated Pundit Round-up (70 comments)

•  This is what happens (2+ / 0-)
    SottoVoce, tobendaro

When you have unnaturally high expectations of one man and those expectations aren't met.
    People saw Obama as a savior who would change things in Washington (even though every president and candidate I can remember going back to Carter ran on "changing Washington") and now that they realize he's fairly centrist (which he's always been), they're disappointed and lashing out.
    I can remember during the primaries pointing out to people the way he worked with Republicans to get a state health care plan for Illinois. I pointed out his votes for FISA, the fact that he considered Joe Lieberman a "mentor", etc, but no one wanted to hear that.
    I haven't been disappointed, because I knew what to expect, and actually have been pretty pleased with what he has managed to get done, considering that the GOP is acting like idiots.
    So I ignore those people that think he's "bush lite", etc., because they don't have facts on their side.

You will never know what it’s like to work on a farm until your hands are raw, just so people can have fresh marijuana. Jack Handey

by skohayes on Mon Jul 25, 2011 at 06:23:23 AM PDT

•  yes, a lot of the criticism seems (2+ / 0-)
      tobendaro, skohayes

highly emotional in nature, and comes from a place of personal betrayal, i.e., "I worked so hard for this man and he let me down."  Completely understandable, in view of how much we needed real change to save from country from a further slide to  plutocracy.

As for

I think the GOP are more than idiots.  I think they are tremendously dangerous and not at all stupid.  Their Tea Party voters might be uninformed and successfully propagandized, but the solid center of the party are barracudas, sharp as razors and really, really smart--in a bad way.

Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it. --Mark Twain

by SottoVoce on Mon Jul 25, 2011 at 06:29:31 AM PDT

•  I have a teabagger (1+ / 0-)
        SottoVoce

of the First Order for my rep. He writes editorials in the Washington Times, goes on shows like Michael Savage and some other RW nutbag I've never heard of.
        He lives in a bubble by surrounding himself with like minded thinkers, and even though the Tea Party is not that strong in Kansas, he pretends they are, and votes accordingly.
        Voted against raising the debt ceiling. Voted for Cut, Cap and Balance. Voted for repeal of ACA. Voted for defunding NPR and Planned Parenthood. Wants to defund the EPA and eviscerate Clean Water standards.
        I follow him on Twitter and although I'm nothing but a gnat in his face, I do irritate his staffers. :)

by skohayes on Mon Jul 25, 2011 at 06:47:33 AM PDT

•  I'm very sorry that this one "represents" you (0+ / 0-)

Since you're in a district that voted for him, here's my question: if it were a choice between him and a Blue Dog Democrat, who sometimes crossed over to join the GOP, would that be preferable to the guy you now have?  I ask this, because it sometimes seems that only a Blue Dog Dem could be elected in a district like that, and I wonder if it would be better or not?

One view is that it would increase the number of Dems in the House, and might change which party was in power.  But then they wouldn't be dependable Dem votes, like the Congress we had during the HCR battle.  Many here ask "why couldn't Obama get better bills passed with a Dem majority in both houses?"  But in districts like yours, that might be the only kind of Dem we could have.

by SottoVoce on Mon Jul 25, 2011 at 06:56:10 AM PDT

•  Is that a choice? (0+ / 0-)

A teabagger or a Blue Dog? If I had a choice between this guy and a bag of shit, I'd vote for the bag of shit.
            But yes, in Kansas, Democrats tend to be more fiscally conservative, more socially conservative in some cases. But I can live with that- anything is better than what I'm being represented by now.

by skohayes on Mon Jul 25, 2011 at 03:11:41 PM PDT

•  Yes on the expectations. (1+ / 0-)
      skohayes

I was not expecting Obama to save the world and turn the country into a progressive paradise.  He has done about just what I expected.  I would love more but reality dictates what he and the Democrats can accomplish.  The reality is Republicans have set up a system that tilts in their favor and just fighting it takes all the wind in the sails.  We must continue the fight and crying in your beer doesn't help.  If we want more, we have to produce more.  This will take years.  It is obvious that the r's don't operate on whim or extemporaneously.  They have a plan for the majority and a plan for the minority and they stick to it.  We must get better at our fightoing.  Us, the people.  It is up to us.

And she's good at appearing sane, I just want you to know. Winwood/Capaldi

by tobendaro on Mon Jul 25, 2011 at 06:33:28 AM PDT