View Diary: Voter Suppression in WI (video) (42 comments)

•  I Am Not An Expert On Election Laws (8+ / 0-)

in my home state of Illinois. Heck I don't have to be. I can vote faster than I can order a Big Mac. I often wish, when I read election nightmare stories here, everybody had what I have!

When opportunity calls pick up the phone and give it directions to your house.

by webranding on Sun Jul 24, 2011 at 03:30:17 PM PDT

•  Before this year, (15+ / 0-)

it was very easy to vote. With no voter fraud (unless you count the shenanigans in Waukesha County perpetrated by Kathy Nicklaus and others).

Same day voter registration: gone.

"Early voting" now restricted to 2 weeks before the election and NO WEEKEND hours; just business hours.

Photo ID now required with very high barriers to overcome for average people.

Restrictions on absentee voting.

Residency timeline now 28 days (so don't move before an election!!).

•  A Happy Story. My Mother Is An Election (6+ / 0-)

judge across the state from me. A Republican. But she could care less who you vote for. Her job, and she takes it pretty seriously, is to let all that want to vote .... well vote.

Part of that job she thinks is making it painless. Easy. Fast.

I mean lets face it. Not enough of us vote already. Making it harder, well less folks will vote. I, my mother, and most people I know all would find that very sad.

When opportunity calls pick up the phone and give it directions to your house.

by webranding on Sun Jul 24, 2011 at 03:47:41 PM PDT

•  Your parents sound like thoughtful people. (5+ / 0-)

Have you tried to point out to them that some of the very things they think are important to an honest & functioning democracy (little 'd') are the very things that the current Republican Party is systemically trying to deprive others of?

Peace will come when the Republicans will love America's children more than they love their money.

by Naniboujou on Sun Jul 24, 2011 at 04:15:15 PM PDT

•  It's about fewer people voting. (5+ / 0-)
          MKSinSA, elwior, mrkvica, badscience, Lujane

That's what they - the current brand of GOP office holders - want.

Democracy doesn't matter. The social compact of our society doesn't matter. Good government doesn't matter.

Only power, raw naked power and how to hold on to it, matters.

Recall - DONE! VOTE against the fakes - DONE! VOTE TO TAKE WISCONSIN BACK!!! Rescind. Rebuild.

by stcroix cheesehead on Sun Jul 24, 2011 at 04:19:02 PM PDT

•  Same-day registration is not gone (4+ / 0-)
        elwior, Don midwest, Lujane, WisVoter

Not sure how the Republicans missed  that part, but we can be glad that they did.

The requirement of government-issued photo ID is a travesty, for many reasons but most of all because it requires most people to present a birth certificate in order to get it. Those who don't currently have a birth certificate would need a photo ID to obtain a copy from the state of their birth. But if they had that photo ID they wouldn't need the birth certificate, would they? The whole thing is ugly.

I wouldn't want to be one of the clerks who have to enforce this mess. Their orders come ultimately from the Walker administration, and they probably disagree with it as much as we do.

•  I'm pretty sure same-day registration (3+ / 0-)
          elwior, Lujane, noise of rain

is a thing of the past. I'll double-check, though.

•  Here is GAB info on same-day registration (0+ / 0-)

This page of the GAB website lists registration at the polls as one of the options and mentions bringing proof of residence for 28 days, so we know it has been updated to reflect the new law. I did see people registering at the polls during the recall primary.

With all the monstrous things the Republicans have done lately, it's hard to imagine that they left this good procedure alone, but it seems to be true.

•  and some states take up to a month to send (2+ / 0-)
          badscience, Lujane

birth certificates - through outsourced third party agencies that charge.  if you need it sooner, the fees are exhorbitant.

(north carolina, are you listening?)

It's the Supreme Court, Stoopid!

by edrie on Sun Jul 24, 2011 at 05:31:30 PM PDT

•  I went to the Black Caucus meeting (4+ / 0-)

at the WI Dem convention a few months ago, and everyone is VERY concerned about this. There are a lot of elder citizens in WI who moved from other states, who were born in the 30s with a midwife, etc, and don't have access to documents like I do personally.

I would think that paying to get the documents could also be considered a poll tax or unfair burden, and I think there are lots of lawyers involved (Voter ID isn't implemented until January 2012). At least I hope lawyers are involved!

I put together an informational website in June about new Voter ID provisions in place for the summer recalls, and frankly nobody really knows what to do. It's a work in progress, and even people on the side of right are confused about how to proceed.

•  i'd say the courts are the best bet.... except for (5+ / 0-)

roberts, scalia, thomas, alito and kennedy.

we are in such deep trouble - and no one seems to know how to get out of it - except by putting republicans out of office... and they are stacking the deck to make sure that doesn't happen!

we need to unify our ranks and ensure landslides that overwhelm the manipulation - and we won't get that with the number of people here who march in unison with the dems/obama is bad meme.

what america REALLY needs is a serious optometrist - we are a myopic party and nation.

the chart should show the edge of that cliff clearly - very clearly!

It's the Supreme Court, Stoopid!

by edrie on Sun Jul 24, 2011 at 07:36:31 PM PDT

• Recommended (122)
  • Community (60)
  • Media (23)
  • Elections (23)
  • Civil Rights (22)
  • Culture (21)
  • Law (21)
  • Environment (21)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (21)
  • Josh Duggar (20)
  • Science (19)
  • Labor (18)
  • Economy (17)
  • Marriage Equality (16)
  • Ireland (16)
  • 2016 (15)
  • Bernie Sanders (15)
  • Hillary Clinton (15)
  • Climate Change (15)
  • Health Care (14)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site