View Diary: To the Cynicism on the Front Page (With Poll) (213 comments)

•  the president was not reasonable (31+ / 0-)

reasonable would have been to say that the republicans have no credibility on deficits. reasonable would have been to say that the democrats should stop trying to compromise with the unreasonable. reasonable would have been to mention that the bush/obama tax cuts by themselves are most responsible for the deficit. reasonable would have been to say that the debt ceiling has never become such a political football and it won't be now. reasonable would have been to say that huge budget cuts in a time of severe recession would be disastrous. reasonable would have been to say that he wants a clean bill on the debt ceiling and he will sign nothing else.

The cold passion for truth hunts in no pack. -Robinson Jeffers

by Laurence Lewis on Mon Jul 25, 2011 at 07:00:27 PM PDT

•  Yeah run on that (1+ / 0-)
      Quicklund

I think Nader would even beat you.

"I honor the place in you where Spirit lives I honor the place in you which is of Love, of Truth, of Light, of Peace, when you are in that place in you, and I am in that place in me, then we are One." Namaste friends!

by Adept2u on Mon Jul 25, 2011 at 07:01:53 PM PDT

•  yeah (10+ / 0-)

run on a failing economy. i think romney or perry would even beat you.

The cold passion for truth hunts in no pack. -Robinson Jeffers

by Laurence Lewis on Mon Jul 25, 2011 at 07:03:50 PM PDT

•  It aint him who drove us into the ditch (3+ / 0-)
          Quicklund, virginwoolf, evergreen2

It's the dumb asses who gave them back the keys.   Maybe the dumb asses who said that the dems might need a lesson.  Well you're gettin it aincha!

by Adept2u on Mon Jul 25, 2011 at 07:10:35 PM PDT

•  perhaps (8+ / 0-)

you should revisit last year's exit polls, and figure out which demographics dropped. it wasn't liberals. and we warned about the economy last year and were ignored. we're warning again, and if we're again ignored again, next year will be even worse. and you'll still blame the wrong people. all in good fun, adept.

The cold passion for truth hunts in no pack. -Robinson Jeffers

by Laurence Lewis on Mon Jul 25, 2011 at 07:14:33 PM PDT

•  Lol you and those polls (1+ / 0-)
              Quicklund

Didn't you people get enough of that when you went like an entire year using a pollster that was pulling the numbers out of their ass?

by Adept2u on Mon Jul 25, 2011 at 07:26:41 PM PDT

•  read the polls, adept (1+ / 0-)
                khereva

the exit polls. or try to find some that contradict what i said, rather than changing the subject.

The cold passion for truth hunts in no pack. -Robinson Jeffers

by Laurence Lewis on Mon Jul 25, 2011 at 07:59:14 PM PDT

•  Laurence I don't rely on polls (0+ / 0-)

Not even in the slightest.  I use my experience and 25 solid years of observing american politics, I also tend to ignore polls because of my profession.  I know if you gave me 25 million bucks I could get americans to say cat turds taste like chocolate pudding, and unfortunately we can't run our nation by what americans say in the polls.  So no Laurence I'm not interested in the polls, heck I don't even disagree with you that it was about jobs, but what I seem to believe and you don't is that it is the Republicans who are trying to deep six this country.

by Adept2u on Mon Jul 25, 2011 at 08:11:25 PM PDT

•  "I don't rely on statistics" (2+ / 0-)
                    newfie53523, khereva

Is the last refuge of the ludicrous. Your comment reminds me of a debate I had with someone once on government-funded healthcare. This one was all about how "people come to America for our great healthcare", and when I pointed out that Americans go abroad for cheaper healthcare at startling rates, especially to Mexico, this person responded with "I was an ambulance transporter over the Canadian border many times! I know what I'm talking about, don't give me those statistics."

Yes, statistics are highly inconvenient. They make your argument more than anecdote, gut feeling and conventional wisdom. So they are so often ignored when they don't mesh with our own personal reality. Unfortunately, reality isn't what you decide it is.

•  I think your comment (0+ / 0-)

doesn't address the nuance with which Adept2u stated his position in the comment you just replied to.  I don't think the comment is as ludicrous as you say, when you examine what he or she is saying

Notice a lack of personal attacks in my comments. I expect no less from you.

by therehastobeaway on Mon Jul 25, 2011 at 08:24:07 PM PDT

•  exit polls (0+ / 0-)

tend to be accurate. liberals voted last year, but two key demographics dropped.

The cold passion for truth hunts in no pack. -Robinson Jeffers

by Laurence Lewis on Mon Jul 25, 2011 at 08:29:01 PM PDT

•  Oh want to know what keeps me up at night (3+ / 0-)

Citizens United we're fucked.

You see actual facts and doing a little more than 4th grade analysis is really lost on most Americans.  Last two times I was checking out MSNBC they were running 7 8 commercials an hour, Obama sucks, radcon stuff.  Rinse repeat.

You know that's why I came here in the first place was to throw anvils at Republicans.  I look back with such joy at that stuff I did.  No one really looked at it, but it was a lot of fun.  Nothing but Republican bashing all the time.  You know that's what America needs btw.  Jesus they have had the government for most the time and the minute we won that election people were putting up those stupid gopersauers or whatever.  I look forward to the day Republicans are dead enough for me to think I could criticize a Dem.  Oh well, peace.  You know I love you.

by Adept2u on Mon Jul 25, 2011 at 08:16:16 PM PDT

•  we can have ideals (1+ / 0-)
                    therehastobeaway

and beat republicans at the same time. and as i've written on the front page- citizens united, and that obama's supreme court justices think campaign finance reform is constitutional while the gop justices don't, is reason enough for me to support for him next year.

and love you, too. still hope we can get together at a nn, one of these years.

The cold passion for truth hunts in no pack. -Robinson Jeffers

by Laurence Lewis on Mon Jul 25, 2011 at 08:21:51 PM PDT

•  Adept (1+ / 0-)
                    evergreen2

When did you see the tide shift—and keep in mind, I'm not arguing that criticizing Dems is a bad thing in and of itself—but when did the shift happen from "let's as a site dismantle the Republicans" to "let's as a site complain about the Republicans as we also eat our elected Dems?"

Notice a lack of personal attacks in my comments. I expect no less from you.

by therehastobeaway on Mon Jul 25, 2011 at 08:26:30 PM PDT

•  When the PUMA's were forgiven (2+ / 0-)
                      evergreen2, sviscusi

They never did get with the program and were allowed to party unity my ass right here and right after the election.

I for one will never forget who invented the birther meme.  That hurt so much.  Donald Trump that hurt so much, and it was the nice white progressive puma's that did it.

by Adept2u on Tue Jul 26, 2011 at 07:41:11 AM PDT

•  really? (0+ / 0-)

Wow.  I remember being exhausted right after the election and not being too up on the PUMA thing, but I didn't realize it was such a large faction (now looking it up, I see Party Unity My Ass).  Feeling scorned, they went on the attack and originated hurtful (and, worse, distracting) memes that only further fragmented progressives.

Diabolical.  Like shooting your own feet with a shotgun just to prove a point.

Notice a lack of personal attacks in my comments. I expect no less from you.

by therehastobeaway on Tue Jul 26, 2011 at 11:25:22 AM PDT

•  Dems lost the youth vote. That sucks. (6+ / 0-)

Obama energized a generation then left them unemployed and dispirited.

Hope shattered.

look for my eSci diary series Thursday evening. "It's the planet, stupid."

by FishOutofWater on Mon Jul 25, 2011 at 07:27:47 PM PDT

•  See you in 2012 (2+ / 0-)
                Quicklund, virginwoolf

At the second inauguration.  Hope shattered?  Weak willed spoiled bunch of don't want to curse, this has their hope shattered?  No I have greater faith then to think that even 8 years would turn the tide of 8 years of reagan let alone of Bush.  Anybody who isn't on the barricades to not let the Republicans power, and fuck no this President is not one.  Then hey I can say it fuck this country let it go the way of the Soviet Union, my people have never enjoyed all those airy fairy rights and freedoms, I'll make my go of it in Belize.

by Adept2u on Mon Jul 25, 2011 at 07:33:55 PM PDT

•  Oh, my. You're so out of touch... (2+ / 0-)
                  Lepanto, khereva

Did you really just refer to my generation as "weak willed spoiled bunch of don't want to curse"?

YOUTH UNEMPLOYMENT IS OVER 20%.

STUDENT LOAN DEBT ECLIPSES CREDIT CARD DEBT.

OVER 85% OF NEW COLLEGE GRADUATES ARE NOW MOVING BACK HOME AFTER SCHOOL.

Your comment...holy cow. Holy frakking cow. I cannot even imagine what it takes to be this willfully, woefully out of touch. It's frankly offensive. How do you not understand the deep fear and pain that people my age are feeling? That part of your comment could have been written by GLENN BECK.

Our futures have been STOLEN from us, and you sit there calling us WEAK-WILLED and SPOILED? You should be ashamed of yourself.

•  No you should be ashamed of yourself (0+ / 0-)

When I was more of a youth I saw a man beaten nearly to death and the Democratic President answer with his Sistah Souljah moment.  I saw the safety net that Black people actually get (we dont fucking live long enough to get Social Security) triangulated to the Republicans and it was ok because the recipients of welfare were in their eyes mostly black.

And you fucking think today equals even a percentage of that?  You're fucking right you bunch of white spoiled brats buck the fuck up.

by Adept2u on Tue Jul 26, 2011 at 07:54:48 AM PDT

•  I hear you and your frustration (0+ / 0-)

But let's not stoop to that level, whoever "us" is.

I have always felt that if more whites were exposed to more blacks from a very young age; if people were nurtured together as friends from the beginning and if kids were granted better access to quality education across the board, together, from the start, then many of the social and racial barriers in place now would be eviscerated as people would feel more compassion towards one another.

In the meantime, the best example we can set is to push for compassion even in the face of bigotry—which is precisely some of what Obama himself is doing.

I wonder what goes on inside his head as he observes and ponders the interesting place of being the nation's first black president, and all the subtleties and nuances being so entails...

Notice a lack of personal attacks in my comments. I expect no less from you.

by therehastobeaway on Tue Jul 26, 2011 at 11:21:35 AM PDT

•  Saw some Belize beer the other day (0+ / 0-)

Took it up to the register, the guy said "That will be fourteen dollars" and I didn't hear the cents.  I walked that 6-pack back to the cooler.  I returned and the guy said "I knew you were going to do that".

I met a couple guys from Belize once.  they were extremely nice folks and we happy to meet an American who knew what a Belize is.

Don't panic. Demonstrate.

by Quicklund on Mon Jul 25, 2011 at 08:30:17 PM PDT

•  Oh, really? This sounds an awful lot like his (5+ / 0-)

2008 campaign rhetoric. And, last time I checked, he won the presidency in 2008. While he had a lot to say about bipartisanship, he was very clear how he felt about the Bush tax cuts and "speaking truth to power."

•  I would LOVE to see him run on that. (0+ / 0-)

He'd win in a landslide.  I'm this close to taking my Obama 08 sticker off the back of my car.  And a 2012 sticker isn't taking its place.

I'll vote for him.  But, right now I'm not exactly happy about it.  His speech Friday was much better than tonight's.

•  Yep, others would be worse (0+ / 0-)

but I'm not sure how damning Obama with faint praise is going to bring hearts and minds with it.

•  What do you suggest he runs on? (4+ / 0-)
        lgcap, SallyCat, terra, erush1345

don't think hope and change is going to quite cut it this time out.

•  Yes (2+ / 0-)
      Adept2u, virginwoolf

and this stuff, which I don't fully disagree with you on, would have done little more than energize us, those of us already plugged in.  Obama has to take care of the entire country, and I'm arguing that's not the type of rhetoric the country needs in a time of such peril.

All the acrimony on here should really be directed towards incapacitating the conservatives who want to ruin our country, not at the administration trying to save it...even if we don't agree on the details, Laurence.

Notice a lack of personal attacks in my comments. I expect no less from you.

by therehastobeaway on Mon Jul 25, 2011 at 07:05:28 PM PDT

•  As bad as this is (2+ / 0-)
      SallyCat, Laurence Lewis

he will be remembered as the president who didn't think real unemployment of pushing 20% was important enough to warrant special attention despite all the evidence in the history books and economics primers.

•  After all that GOP House votes still required (2+ / 0-)
      therehastobeaway, evergreen2

So we are back to compromise.  That is how this nation's government is structured.

Don't panic. Demonstrate.