View Diary: Part II - "!No Pasaran!" - The Abraham Lincoln Brigade and the Fight against Fascism in Spain (65 comments)

•  There is a Complicated Relationship (4+ / 0-)

... between the length of the diary and the number of recs it gets.  This has been true for the past 2-3 years.

If only my diary had 3 short paragraphs, one link, and 4 sentences... it would be an instant hit on the rec list!  :-)

•  normally (5+ / 0-)

i live for "complicated relationships" (pause for deep breath as I recount in my mind my entire romantic history).

but I'm particularly pissed off because there's one there I've been concentrating on trying to get off the list for the last three hours, engaging in very atypical agg behavior like recc'ing everything in sight around it.

I'll just go back to ignoring the list, that will probably lower my blood pressure several points.

Words can sometimes, in moments of grace, attain the quality of deeds. --Elie Wiesel

by a gilas girl on Wed Jul 27, 2011 at 02:42:42 PM PDT

•  but I notice (5+ / 0-)

that its gone now, so I'll be calm.

Thanks again for the great diary, JiH.

by a gilas girl on Wed Jul 27, 2011 at 02:44:25 PM PDT

•  You Know, in All These Years (9+ / 0-)

... I've been on this blog, I've never spent as much time writing a diary (at least 60+ hours) over the past almost 4 weeks.  I've written dozens in the past two years that took 25-30 hours each.  Most, but not all, were the editorial cartoons diaries that I supplemented with a lot of commentary and analyses.

Now, if this were someone else's diary, I'd write a short diary promoting it.  But it isn't.  So, for the five minutes it made the rec list today, I guess I should be happy.

As I mentioned above, in recent years Daily Kos has been (largely) obsessed with the "here and now."  I try to avoid those diaries like the plague.  Why in the world would I read something that is easily available on Google or Yahoo News?

•  That this is a series, (5+ / 0-)

and an outstanding one at that, will give it a life of its own. I am very excited about your work. You have pulled together a story that few of us really knew. This is a great gift. Thank you, J&H.

•  Thanks skywriter (4+ / 0-)

Don't get me wrong as I'm not complaining.  It's not my style here on Daily Kos.

The biggest story is the debt negotiation talks and rightly so as cherished Democratic programs like Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid are on the table and no one knows what will happen next week.  The rec list is also cluttered with Kos deciding last week that the FP writers can join in on the right side of the blog.  Additionally, it's the dog days of summer and some people undoubtedly are on vacation.

But, still... diaries should sink or swim on their own merit.  So, in that sense, I'm a bit disappointed.

•  It is not predictable, J&H (2+ / 0-)
                JekyllnHyde, 4Freedom

You should feel confident that you are producing a really high-quality series on a historical subject about which not nearly enough is known. Your photos are magnificent, your writing superb. The subject matter is intrinsically interesting.

Are we in a pre-fascist situation right now? Maybe.

History is full of what ifs? What if the Allies had sided with the Republic against the fascists in Spain? One result is that Spaniards would not have had to put up with fascism until 1975-- thirty years after the fascists and Nazis were defeated elsewhere in Europe and Asia.

Our crucible is that anti-communism dominates everything that happens in the United States beginning in 1945 until the present day. It is irrational but it is so. I commend you for opening this door on relevant history that was buried under the altar of anti-communism, a burial that does no one any good.

Americans should be rational enough to discuss the good and bad points of different economic systems. Say that louder than a whisper and the reaction is apoplectic.

•  let me also say (4+ / 0-)

that on community spotlight we often lament diaries that could be so much more if they only had links.  That is a particular pet peeve of my own, I must confess, so to come across such a treasure trove of sourcing and further information as the link-fest that are these two diaries makes me want to christen a new-found award, the "Community Spotlight Linkage Award" or the "linky"for short.

If such a thing were in my power, I would bestow the inaugural form of thiis imaginary prize, complete with a golden trophy in the form of the dkos orange squiggly thing,  to you in recognition of this diary series.

by a gilas girl on Wed Jul 27, 2011 at 04:06:25 PM PDT

•  Question, (3+ / 0-)
              JekyllnHyde, ek hornbeck, 4Freedom

Is it true that if a diary makes the rec list for a short time, it is ineligible for Community Spotlight?

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well, I have others." --Groucho Marx

by Dragon5616 on Wed Jul 27, 2011 at 04:33:04 PM PDT

•  yep... (4+ / 0-)

by a gilas girl on Wed Jul 27, 2011 at 04:35:45 PM PDT

•  That's unfortunate. (3+ / 0-)
                  JekyllnHyde, ek hornbeck, 4Freedom

Is there any thought of changing that?

by Dragon5616 on Wed Jul 27, 2011 at 04:43:10 PM PDT

•  changes come (5+ / 0-)

generally from group discussions and while this has been discussed, given the new formula for the rec list that does mean some diaries can make the list quickly then drop back off, the fact that something does make the rec list on its own generally means (or has in the past at least meant) that the diary has the ability to get the requisite number of eyeballs under its own steam.  Since DR was originally about helping those overlooked diaries get attention they might deserve because of good writing, giving limited space to diaries that have already demonstrated the ability to get what cs offers without cs help would kind of defeat the purpose.  Plus it would entail yet another layer of personal judgments to be hashed out when the rule in this case is very clear cut.

So at this point, though several folks agree with you that at times this particular rule has unfortunate consequences, the likelihood of changing it isn't great at the moment.  That would bring even more complicated and unfortunate consequences than we are presented with now in the fewer occasions when a deserving diary might have to be eliminated because of this condition.

So, thoughts are always there, and discussions are also always ongoing, but as of now the reasons for changing it aren't more compelling than the reasons not to.  That said, CS remains both diligent about maintaining its mission as impartially and fairly as possible and about remaining flexible to the realities of the site.

How's that for an answer that doesn't say much?  I doubt I have a future in corporate PR.

by a gilas girl on Wed Jul 27, 2011 at 05:04:50 PM PDT