View Diary: CNN's Lemon: "Transsexual and transgender people are really just gay" (60 comments)

•  Yes, I just don't understand why it appears that (0+ / 0-)

Lemon's response was purposefully cut out.  I doubt Ashley's friend stopped recording when Lemon started speaking.

Seems strange.  I'd like to hear what he said.

“Do not think that I came to bring peace on Earth; I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. For I came to set a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law." - Jesus

by Jose Bidenio on Tue Jul 26, 2011 at 03:27:51 PM PDT

•  If I ask someone to film me while I am speaking... (4+ / 0-)

...I don't get surprised when they stop when I am done speaking.

•  Yes, but if the purpose is for increased (0+ / 0-)

communication, dialogue and understanding, then it seems that recording the response would be important.

Not even a write-up of Lemon's response?  Nothing?

by Jose Bidenio on Tue Jul 26, 2011 at 03:37:28 PM PDT

•  When I see the complete video... (3+ / 0-)
          bluesheep, FogCityJohn, priceman

...I will provide my comments.

In our community, the story is urgent.  You seem to think that we should wait until it has lost its urgency and the NAACP gets around to publishing the video.

No, we don't get hired to be media professionals.  Hell, we rarely get hired to be anything.  But we are eyes and ears and brains and we can report what we have seen and heard.  Why is our word not good enough for you?

•  Why do you not even want to hear Lemon's (0+ / 0-)

response?

by Jose Bidenio on Tue Jul 26, 2011 at 04:03:53 PM PDT

•  Not really, irrelevant anyway, but another poster (0+ / 0-)

itt claims to have asked Lemon about it on Twitter and his response was likewise unclear.

Above, you even claim that Lemon may just be ignorant of the orientation/identity distinction.

Moreover, Bond has promised to include transgendered people next year.

Don't think that I'm not aware of the false perception that African Americans are more hostile to LGBT than others based on anything other than religious affinity.  I'm not about to let that meme take off here too without more evidence than a truncated video.

by Jose Bidenio on Tue Jul 26, 2011 at 04:17:48 PM PDT

•  Did you not notice that the people reporting... (3+ / 0-)
                  churchylafemme, FogCityJohn, priceman

...on this were themselves African American?  Why must you make this about racism?

•  Yes, I noticed that Monica Roberts, on her blog, (0+ / 0-)

gives a bit more detail to increase dialogue and understanding.

She lists who was on the panel:

The July 25 panel will commence at 2 PM PDT and is moderated by CNN anchor Don Lemon.   It has as participants Wanda Sykes, civil rights icon Julian Bond, Spelman College Professor Beverly Guy-Sheftall, actor Daryl Stephens, and writer, scholar, and activist Kenyon Farrow.

And who some notable trans-AA are who could have appeared on the panel as well:

That's before I even touch on the out of state African descended trans peeps such as Antonia D'orsay, National Black Justice Coalition board member Kylar Broadus, and Dr. Marisa Richmond who could and would have eloquently discussed the issues facing trans people of African descent.

This information is helpful.  I felt her posts were informative, and less of a hit piece.  This diary seems to be outrage and pitchforks and I get the feeling you are not happy with me for joining the mob.  I simply would like to hear what Lemon said, from his mouth, and what his response was, before I stick a pitchfork in him.

by Jose Bidenio on Tue Jul 26, 2011 at 05:44:26 PM PDT

•  Yeah... (2+ / 0-)
                      FogCityJohn, priceman

...I posted about Monica's comments yesterday.

•  Sorry, I missed it. And I am sorry that you (1+ / 0-)
                        JoanMar

perhaps think that I am being obstinate and needlessly defending Lemon.  I actually was never a fan of Lemon, until he came out, which I thought took a lot of courage.

But I think you can agree that it would have been better if the videographer just let the camera roll and caught Lemon's response on tape.  That's all really.

Well, plus, I am concerned that the same crowd who tried to pin Prop 8 on African Americans will now have more fuel for their fire.  That's why I think it's important to include the LG AAs who took part in the panel and the BTs who could have taken part, to inform everyone that LGBT community is indeed large, common and not restricted along racial lines.

by Jose Bidenio on Tue Jul 26, 2011 at 06:01:09 PM PDT

•  I'm not "mak[ing] this about racism. I am making (1+ / 0-)
                    JoanMar

sure it does not become about racism.

by Jose Bidenio on Tue Jul 26, 2011 at 05:45:21 PM PDT