View Diary: "An Elaborate Charade" - Dean Baker on the Debt Ceiling Crisis (251 comments)

•  No I think you are missing the point (0+ / 0-)

Today now. All the readers of the Shock Doctrine that foresaw this crises. Where is the crises management plan. Where is the team with liberal ideas to swoop in and takeover with their foundation of ideas that will win the day.

The only plan I see is liberals complaining. We have been there done that and it is not working.

you just can not pretend like spitting in the face of some progress, because it is 'not enough ' is going to get you more progress

by missliberties on Wed Jul 27, 2011 at 04:42:23 PM PDT

•  There is a multitude of good ideas--we don't have (0+ / 0-)

to label them liberal or conservative. But if these ideas are not at the service of short-term profit, then management isn't interested. Our problem isn't a lack of good plans. It's the managers.

-4.38, -7.64 Voyager 1: proof that what goes up never comes down.

by pat bunny on Wed Jul 27, 2011 at 05:03:29 PM PDT

•  Yes a multitude of good ideas (0+ / 0-)

a mishmash of thoughts. Yet on specific focus. Just seemingly chaotic ramblings that point out how bad the other side is.

Folks keep insisting that you can't run a campaign on how bad the other side is, but that is exactly what liberals do. That and the circular firing squad thing.

by missliberties on Thu Jul 28, 2011 at 06:10:31 AM PDT

•  You dismiss any liberal ideas... (6+ / 0-)

...that cannot win over Teapublicans.  You look not at the value of an idea, but at whether it can gain the Insane Right's support.  Nothing will ever satisfy them, thereby nothing can ever happen.  So if your rubric is only what they will allow to happen, all you're ever going to get is what they want.  So stop carping about others who want better than that.

•  Attacking me helps? (1+ / 0-)
        Bensdad

I am just suggesting overall liberal institutions and infrastructure...... isn't there when the opportunity like a crises arises. If liberals knew this crises was inevitable, then why did they not have a plan to swoop in and have a coup.

You are not listening to what I am saying at all. You keep changing the subject to make it about me. This is about me. And making it about me shows a lack of focus on sustainable liberal values.

by missliberties on Wed Jul 27, 2011 at 07:05:53 PM PDT

•  Nearly every post you make on here... (0+ / 0-)

...is you attacking people for not just accepting whatever they're handed; you are constantly attacking other people on here for expecting more than the barest minimum.  So your problems with being upset at your being attacked rings incredibly tinny.

•  I am sick and tired of (0+ / 0-)

people trying to solve the wrong problems.

Attack me til the cows come home. It just proves that this site is a food fight and irrelevant.

You mischaracterize what I said. But that is nothing new. Close your eye if you want to, but whatever it is that you are doing is NOT working.

by missliberties on Sat Jul 30, 2011 at 07:55:57 AM PDT

•  You want specifics? How about this? (5+ / 0-)

The Congressional Progressive Caucus People's Budget balances the budget by 2021, without attacking the social safety net.

I'd sure be interested in seeing you do a point-by-point refutation of that concrete, detailed, "liberal idea," including an explanation for why it is "not working."

Of course, your hero didn't come up with it, and it appears to be anathema to his stated goals, so I don't expect such a refutation.

•  I don't see this as a war of ideas as much as.... (3+ / 0-)
      jimreyn, missliberties, pat bunny

...I just see it as a war. And we are losing. This isn't a debate over the proper role and use of government -- it is a wholesale dismantling of government.

It was apparent during the exasperating health care "debate" that we had lost the megaphone. We couldn't get the idea of "singe payer" in edgewise. It NEVER APPEARED in the national debate. It was only heard here, in Rebel Central.

I think the people in Wisconsin had the right idea -- they fought back. But liberals need to accept that when you are fighting for Wisconsin, you have ceded an awful lot of territory and are in a very serious retreat from which you may never recover.

I am waiting in my car, I am waiting in this bar, I am waiting on your essence. - Lucinda Williams

by Bensdad on Wed Jul 27, 2011 at 09:27:45 PM PDT