View Diary: We are the United States of America, the greatest country on earth. We don’t default. (249 comments)

•  Hate to sound disrespectful... (7+ / 2-)

...but aren't you one of the most ineffective Congressman in the entire House?

At this point, this exactly diary could be written by some Joe-Shmoe in Montana and have just as good a chance of getting legislation out of it. It doesn't matter how much we agree with you, Congressman. If it did, then the 70% of people in the country who support job creation over deficit reduction would matter too.

We need members of Congress to be better at changing the message in the DC echo chamber, to stop the beltway feedback loop. You have proven completely unable to do that. Maybe it's time to re-evaluate how you go about things. Otherwise, this is just like running on a treadmill and expecting to get somewhere.

•  Pretty much a useless comment if you ask me (12+ / 0-)

He has written a series of diaries here over the last short while that have been pretty damned well thought out and sensible.  I don't suppose its his fault if the House is full of teabaggers and blow dogs, with another big helping of Democrats who love corporate money.  Maybe you could suggest how someone could actually be progressive and get legislation passed in the face of this problem and with no help from the white house.

Here is a guy who is trying to change the message and you act like you are somehow superior to him,

I Know a place where a Royal Flush never beat a Pair" T. Waits

by NearlyNormal on Thu Jul 28, 2011 at 11:44:12 AM PDT

•  Thanks said it better then I Could n/t (4+ / 0-)
        NearlyNormal, rudy23, Dracowyrm, Timothy J
      •  "Truth to Power" (2+ / 0-)
        terrypinder, Kickemout

The Congressman has been in the House since 1997, meaning he's been there for 13 years. Studies have shown that his legislation rarely goes anywhere, and it's not like he's getting strong progressive changes in major legislation. He's dismissed as a purist by nearly all of DC, even many in his own party.

Posting a well thought out diary on Daily Kos isn't going the "change the message" in DC. It hasn't before and it's going to take some major changes in the culture of Washington before it does. He needs a new approach.

Pointing out this diary as an exercise in redundancy isn't the same as thinking I'm better than him. I don't. But I refuse to see some feel-good diary as anything more than what it is, or think that it will somehow change things when it hasn't done so at all in the past.

Saying so IS my way of trying to help the progressive cause. If the Congressman can stop being so ineffective, that would be a big step considering his position compared to mine.

•  do you see the irony (2+ / 0-)
        MKSinSA, Dracowyrm

in saying this about the Congressman

I don't suppose its his fault if the House is full of teabaggers and blow dogs, with another big helping of Democrats who love corporate money.  Maybe you could suggest how someone could actually be progressive and get legislation passed in the face of this problem...

when that is exactly what you expect from the President?

And in the face of those obstacles, just what is the President supposed to do to help get progressive legislation passed?

And please, don't go to the bully pulpit answer.  Using the bully pulpit isn't going to change those obstacles.  It's not going to get the votes needed.

But we want to get to the same place. We just disagree on the how. --mmacdDE

by glynis on Thu Jul 28, 2011 at 01:16:05 PM PDT

•  You don't see the difference between a congress- (3+ / 0-)
          Timothy J, keenekarl, Johnny Q

man and a President?  Don't like the bully pulpit, thats fine, but that is what he had and when he was immensely popular refused to use.  I'm sorry, but the President has immense resources that a congressman doesn't even sort of have.  Your attempt at pointing out irony is ironic.

I Know a place where a Royal Flush never beat a Pair" T. Waits

by NearlyNormal on Thu Jul 28, 2011 at 01:41:22 PM PDT

•  disagree (0+ / 0-)

he hasn't refused to use the bully pulpit.  And what exactly are those "immense resources" he's supposed to use to get Congress to pass legislation he wants?

And talking about using resources,  what are the resources that Congressional leadership has?

It's interesting how you just dismiss the reality of what Obama has to deal with.

But we want to get to the same place. We just disagree on the how. --mmacdDE

by glynis on Thu Jul 28, 2011 at 04:01:16 PM PDT

•  Its more interesting that you think I'm dismissing (1+ / 0-)
              Johnny Q

reality when you don't think the president has immense resources.  When was Kucinich in Congressional Leadership?

I Know a place where a Royal Flush never beat a Pair" T. Waits

by NearlyNormal on Thu Jul 28, 2011 at 04:52:57 PM PDT

•  heh (0+ / 0-)

can't really answer the question I see.  And I didn't say Kucinich was in leadership.

But we want to get to the same place. We just disagree on the how. --mmacdDE

by glynis on Thu Jul 28, 2011 at 09:05:38 PM PDT

•  Are you kidding (0+ / 0-)

Did you have a serious question?  Maybe it was what are the president's immense resources?  If so, he has visibility to the whole country when he wishes it.  He can call a press conference and the many millions of people see his statements.  He controls the executive branch of the government and can affect nearly every branch of policy that is administered through that branch....

Really, you have to be kidding if that is your question.
                  As for not saying Kucinich is in leadership????  We were talking about Kucinich and you said

what are the resources that Congressional leadership has?

What was that just some random statement?  Did it have any bearing on the subject we were discussing?

I Know a place where a Royal Flush never beat a Pair" T. Waits

by NearlyNormal on Fri Jul 29, 2011 at 09:45:17 AM PDT

•  again (0+ / 0-)

how do those immense resources you name get Obama the votes in Congress to pass legislation he wants?

Doesn't congressional leadership whip the votes?  Don't Democrats in Congress introduce legislation?  That doesn't have any bearing on what gets to Obama to sign?

And how do you expect the Democrats in the House or Obama to get any progressive legislation out of that body?

But we want to get to the same place. We just disagree on the how. --mmacdDE

by glynis on Fri Jul 29, 2011 at 10:05:33 AM PDT

•  I personally don't believe in ripping on (0+ / 0-)

Congressmen or Senators who happen by now and then.  I feel it is rude to visitors.

"Yeah, i think a good chunk of the Republican caucus is either stupid, crazy, ignorant or craven cowards, who are desperately afraid of the tea party people, and rightly so." Bruce Bartlett

by alliedoc on Thu Jul 28, 2011 at 04:44:54 PM PDT

•  Why not? (0+ / 0-)

Just because they are willing to post here, we shouldn't speak our minds?

I like many of the Congressman's views, but he's simply not an effective member of Congress when it comes to getting laws passed or progressive changes to major legislation.

I wish he was. So I told him so. To hold my tongue just because he posts here seems counter-productive. He's here, like all of us, to participate in a conversation. We all don't agree on policies and/or politics, so no one should expect to never be disagreed with.

I admit I could have pulled back the sarcasm a bit...but I hardly considered it "ripping" level.

•  I just don't. I feel like it helps the site (0+ / 0-)

to have these posts.  I understand your view but some people are insulting (about people's height, weight, etc.) and are more inflammatory than necessary.

The least effective part was needlessly inflammatory, IMHO.  I understand the basis of the comment and that bringing this up basically says that he should NOT go out on a limb and vote against his party.  This basically undermines the goals of a member of the far left.  Now, note that I too feel this way, mostly.  In close votes, a vote against the party is basically a vote for the republicans, much as Rand and Ron Paul do for the democrats.  My opinion, but I respect Congressman Kucinich for having his views.  He did, please note, vote for HCR in the end, likely a difficult vote for him.  I say, stay the way you are, but vote with the party when it really really matters.

And, don't insult him in his own diary.

by alliedoc on Thu Jul 28, 2011 at 06:43:24 PM PDT

•  I'm fine with his votes. (1+ / 0-)
              alliedoc

Again, it's not how he votes that really bothers me. I'm thrilled that he voted against the war on Iraq. I know he's voted the right way more often than many, many Dems in the House.

My problem is that, despite all his strong progressive views, he has proven unable to shift legislation in a progressive way and his own bills crash and burn without a second thought. He's been a member of Congress for over a decade and other than his vote, it can reasonably be argued, that he hasn't really helped all that much with progressive causes.

I don't think that fact is because his views are wrong or out if the mainstream. I think tht fact is because he isn't using the correct tactics to craft or help craft legislation. I don't have the answer but I know what he's been doing isn't working.

Maybe it was a bit inflammatory, but it's frustrating to see everyone just pat him on the back for his views while ignoring is shortcomings.

•  Oh, I thought it was the analysis of who is (0+ / 0-)

the least effective member of congress (Kucinich).  There was an analysis of votes where people like Kucinich in voting against the party and with the opposition because the bill wasn't pure enough, are basically ineffective.  Ron Paul, Kucinich, and Feingold were in this category of those I remember.

I do think that when you look at these comments attacking people like Kucinich, you see a lot of short, rude attacks.  From your comments to me, I see that you are better than this.  You could have put the detail you gave me and impacted people instead of just throwing off an insult.  Really, do these people read the comments anyway?  So, write your comment to inform the people who are actually reading it, people like me.  I now have a very different perception of you and your thought process, and am impressed.

Godspeed!

by alliedoc on Fri Jul 29, 2011 at 06:32:47 AM PDT

•  uprated for HR abuse n/t (2+ / 0-)
      MKSinSA, AnnetteK