Former Sen. Bob Kerrey is reversing course and says he'll seek the Democratic nomination for the Nebraska seat he once held.As further confirmation, there's already a quickie Kerrey 2012 website up. In any event, even if you've never liked Bob Kerrey, this has to be considered good news for Democrats. At the very least, it'll force Republicans to spend heavily to win this seat. (Of course, the DSCC will have to shell out money here, too, to stay competitive.) And it's not impossible for Kerrey to win: He's evidently seen polling that suggests he can, otherwise he wouldn't have gotten into the race. What's more, the GOP field is surprisingly weak and wracked with some real hostility; there's a very good chance their nominee—whether it's AG Jon Bruning, Treasurer Don Stenberg, or state Sen. Deb Fischer—will emerge bruised and penniless from the primary. So it's still a long shot for Team Blue, but the shot just got a bit shorter.
Kerrey's announcement Wednesday comes just weeks after he publicly rejected a run to replace retiring Democratic Sen. Ben Nelson. It's also just two days before Nebraska's candidate filing deadline.
The 1992 presidential candidate and former Nebraska governor previously said not running was in his family's best interest.
This is only a Preview!
You must Publish this diary to make this visible to the public,
or click 'Edit Diary' to make further changes first.
Posting a Diary Entry
Daily Kos welcomes blog articles from readers, known as diaries. The Intro section to a diary should be about three paragraphs long, and is required. The body section is optional, as is the poll, which can have 1 to 15 choices. Descriptive tags are also required to help others find your diary by subject; please don't use "cute" tags.
When you're ready, scroll down below the tags and click Save & Preview. You can edit your diary after it's published by clicking Edit Diary. Polls cannot be edited once they are published.
If this is your first time creating a Diary since the Ajax upgrade, before you enter any text below, please press Ctrl-F5 and then hold down the Shift Key and press your browser's Reload button to refresh its cache with the new script files.
ATTENTION: READ THE RULES.
- One diary daily maximum.
- Substantive diaries only. If you don't have at least three solid, original paragraphs, you should probably post a comment in an Open Thread.
- No repetitive diaries. Take a moment to ensure your topic hasn't been blogged (you can search for Stories and Diaries that already cover this topic), though fresh original analysis is always welcome.
- Use the "Body" textbox if your diary entry is longer than three paragraphs.
- Any images in your posts must be hosted by an approved image hosting service (one of: imageshack.us, photobucket.com, flickr.com, smugmug.com, allyoucanupload.com, picturetrail.com, mac.com, webshots.com, editgrid.com).
- Copying and pasting entire copyrighted works is prohibited. If you do quote something, keep it brief, always provide a link to the original source, and use the <blockquote> tags to clearly identify the quoted material. Violating this rule is grounds for immediate banning.
- Be civil. Do not "call out" other users by name in diary titles. Do not use profanity in diary titles. Don't write diaries whose main purpose is to deliberately inflame.
Please begin with an informative title: