Let's play a game! Let's see if you can match the prominent conservative with their comment in praise of American slavery!
THE QUOTES:1) "If slavery were so God-awful, why didn’t Jesus or Paul condemn it, why was it in the Constitution and why wasn’t there a war before 1861?"
2) "[T]he institution of slavery that the black race has long believed to be an abomination upon its people may actually have been a blessing in disguise.... They did get to live in America...."
3) “Far more of the African American community is being devastated by the policies of today than were being devastated by the policies of slavery.”
4). “The negroes on a well-ordered estate, under kind masters, were probably a happier class of people than the laborers upon any estate in Europe.”
5). "The worst thing that was done to black people since slavery was the great society programs."
6). “Thank God for slavery, because if not, the blacks who are here would have been stuck in Africa.”
7) “America has been the best country on earth for black folks. It was here that 600,000 black people, brought from Africa in slave ships, grew into a community of 40 million, were introduced to Christian salvation, and reached the greatest levels of freedom and prosperity blacks have ever known.”
8) “Are the descendants of slaves really worse off? Would Jesse Jackson be better off living in Uganda?”
9) “A child born into slavery in 1860 was more likely to be raised by his mother and father in a two-parent household than was an African American baby born after the election of the USA’s first African-American President.”
10) “If slave labor created wealth for Americans, then obviously it has created wealth for black Americans as well, including the descendants of slaves.”
THE CONSERVATIVES:A) Jon Hubbard (R), current Member of the Arkansas House of Representatives - from his book "Letters to the Editor: Confessions of a Frustrated Conservative". Here's a Jon Hubbard bonus quote: “Wouldn’t life for blacks in America today be more enjoyable and successful if they would only learn to appreciate the value of a good education?”
B) Pat Buchanan (R), former Presidential contender & conservative political commentator - from his essay "A Brief for Whitey".
C) Michele Bachmann (R) & Rick Santorum (R), (both) former Presidential contenders; (Bachman) current Member of the U.S. House of Representatives and (Santorum) former Member of the U.S. Senate - on a pledge they signed for the religious organization Family Leader. The pledge asserted life for African Americans was better during the era of slavery.
D) Art Robinson (R), former Republican candidate for the U.S. House of Representatives - Mr Robinson published George Alfred Henty's book "With Lee in Virginia" which evaluated life under slavery.
E) Rev. Jesse Lee Peterson (R), conservative preacher and president & founder of The Brotherhood Organization of A New Destiny (BOND), an American group dedicated to a conservative agenda among African Americans.
F) David Horowitz (R), policy advocate & conservative writer for his magazine FrontPage, from the article "Ten Reasons Why Reparations for Blacks is a Bad Idea for Blacks – and Racist Too"
G) Wes Riddle (R), former Republican candidate for the U.S. House of Representatives
H) Trent Franks (R), current Member of the U.S. House of Representatives
I) Ann Coulter (R), conservative author, columnist & political commentator
J) Loy Mauch (R), current Member of the Arkansas House of Representatives
....SCROLL DOWN FOR ANSWER KEY.....
Which Conservative Said It? (ANSWER KEY):
1 _ J
2 _ A
3 _ H
4 _ D
5 _ I
6 _ E
7 _ B
8 _ G
9 _ C
10 _ F
THANKS FOR PLAYING!