- Today's comic by Jen Sorensen is Post-election chitchat:
- A cool red and blue and purple and lavender election map: Clark Howard created a blended map of the election results with a population density overlay. And the results are what the situation really looks like. As "a different class" noted:
Oh hey look at all those blue spots in those “red” states. This is why it makes me ridiculously angry that Democrats just abandon the South to its right-wing fate.
- Still need more Schadenfreude? Pundit Shaming may help.
- Seattle tea partiers unhappy with being surrounded by liberals:
"It's getting harder and harder for me. I was at Trader Joe's, and I was glaring at everyone around me," says Keli Carender, 33, co-organizer of the local group.[At a local Trader Joe's grocery...]Carender, a leader of the Tea Party Patriots, is thinking of moving with her husband to Texas. Uh, Keli, you might want to try somewhere else unless you want to be pulling up stakes again in a few years.
"I kept thinking I was surrounded by people who are destroying freedom,"says Carender. "It's starting to make me angry, not wanting to be around these people."
- Another hoary tradition goes boom: The annual New Year's Eve "possum drop" in Brasstown, North Carolina, is no more, unless the judge who ordered an end to it is reversed.
"Citizens are prohibited from capturing and using wild animals for pets or amusement," Judge Fred Morrison wrote in his ruling. "Hunters must afford wild animals the same right Patrick Henry yearned for: 'Give me liberty, or give me death!"The event draws thousands of the visitors to the hamlet. The organizer, Clay Logan, says the animal is not harmed in any way. People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals disagreed and filed suit.
The ruling would end a 19-year tradition of suspending a possum in see-through box covered with holiday tinsel and lowering it to the ground at midnight.
- America's most diverse neighborhoods as measured by The Atlantic:
Among the 100 largest metros, San Jose (California) is the most diverse. San Jose is 35 percent white (the largest group), 31 percent Asian, 28 percent Hispanic, 3 percent two-or-more races, and 2 percent black. In no other metro does the largest group have a share smaller than 35 percent.In order, the other top nine, with the percentages of their largest group, are: New York City, 39 percent; Oakland, 40 percent; Houston, 40 percent; Honolulu, 43 percent; Fort Lauderdale, 44 percent, Orange County (California), 44 percent; Memphis, 46 percent; San Francisco, 46 percent; Albuquerque, 47 percent.
- Petition to deport secessionist petitioners hits 16,000 signatures: The White House provides space on its website for Americans to initiate petitions on various subjects. A formal response will be made to any petition that reaches 25,000 signatures in 30 days. Secession petitions started popping up shortly after the Nov. 6 election. The one for Texas has nearly 99,000 signatures. There are now petitions for all 50 states. There is no requirement that a signer be serious or live within the state or even be old enough to vote. In addition to the petition seeking deportation of secessionist, there is one with 4,500 signatures asks that the government "Peacefully grant the city of Austin Texas to withdraw from the state of Texas & remain part of the United States." Another with 2,300 signatures seeks to "Force all states to pay their portion of the national debt before they can secede from the union."
- Gabrielle Giffords visited Nancy Pelosi.
- Study finds no abortion-related mental health problems: In Public health researchers with the UC San Francisco group Advancing New Standards in Reproductive Health used data from 956 women who sought abortions at 30 different U.S. abortion clinics in a study of restrictive rules. Of that total, 182 of the women were turned away:
We have found that there are no mental health consequences of abortion compared to carrying an unwanted pregnancy to term. There are other interesting findings: even later abortion is safer than childbirth and women who carried an unwanted pregnancy to term are three times more likely than women who receive an abortion to be below the poverty level two years later.
- A satirical look at how you can determine if you're involved in the Petraeus scandal.
This is only a Preview!
You must Publish this diary to make this visible to the public,
or click 'Edit Diary' to make further changes first.
Posting a Diary Entry
Daily Kos welcomes blog articles from readers, known as diaries. The Intro section to a diary should be about three paragraphs long, and is required. The body section is optional, as is the poll, which can have 1 to 15 choices. Descriptive tags are also required to help others find your diary by subject; please don't use "cute" tags.
When you're ready, scroll down below the tags and click Save & Preview. You can edit your diary after it's published by clicking Edit Diary. Polls cannot be edited once they are published.
If this is your first time creating a Diary since the Ajax upgrade, before you enter any text below, please press Ctrl-F5 and then hold down the Shift Key and press your browser's Reload button to refresh its cache with the new script files.
ATTENTION: READ THE RULES.
- One diary daily maximum.
- Substantive diaries only. If you don't have at least three solid, original paragraphs, you should probably post a comment in an Open Thread.
- No repetitive diaries. Take a moment to ensure your topic hasn't been blogged (you can search for Stories and Diaries that already cover this topic), though fresh original analysis is always welcome.
- Use the "Body" textbox if your diary entry is longer than three paragraphs.
- Any images in your posts must be hosted by an approved image hosting service (one of: imageshack.us, photobucket.com, flickr.com, smugmug.com, allyoucanupload.com, picturetrail.com, mac.com, webshots.com, editgrid.com).
- Copying and pasting entire copyrighted works is prohibited. If you do quote something, keep it brief, always provide a link to the original source, and use the <blockquote> tags to clearly identify the quoted material. Violating this rule is grounds for immediate banning.
- Be civil. Do not "call out" other users by name in diary titles. Do not use profanity in diary titles. Don't write diaries whose main purpose is to deliberately inflame.
Please begin with an informative title: