Evening all! I have had a diary in mind since I saw Rachel Maddow’s incredible show the night after the election, using her list of simple truths which tend to ‘stump’ Republicans as a take-off point. I am incredulous that they think the problems their party faces can be fixed through messaging. To me it is abundantly clear they failed because of the disconnect between their words and their actions. News report after news report speaks in terms of Republican ‘soul searching’ after their dismal results. The answer is fairly obvious to us ... no matter where they look, they’re not going to FIND a soul. It is what is missing from their platform and position on the issues, it is what is missing in their politicking, it is what is missing in their broader relating in society. Their inclination is to tweak their ‘message.’ That if the message is compelling enough, women and blacks and Hispanics and teens are never going to notice the unlimited ways in which Republicans screw them and undermine them, denigrate and disrespect them, while casting their votes for hypocrites and two-faced manipulators with clever ‘message.’
More below the fleur de kos.
|Top Comments recognizes the previous day's Top Mojo and strives to promote each day's outstanding comments through nominations made by Kossacks like you. Please send comments (before 9:30pm ET) by email to email@example.com or by our KosMail message board. Just click on the Spinning Top to make a submission. Look for the Spinning Top to pop up in diaries around Daily Kos.
Make sure that you include the direct link to the comment (the URL), which is available by clicking on that comment's date/time. Please let us know your Daily Kos user name if you use email so we can credit you properly. If you send a writeup with the link, we can include that as well. The diarist reserves the right to edit all content.
Please come in. You're invited to make yourself at home! Join us beneath the kos-doodle...
Witness Romney’s rationalizations that he is a loser because of Obama’s ‘gifts,’ completely undermining his pre-election walkback of his hideous (but TOTALLY honest!) 47% video.
Or William Bennett’s simplistic (and denial-filled) election analysis, wherein he says:
We must counter the discourse and speak and educate in terms of family, faith, freedom, principle, values, work, country, community, improvement, growth, and equality of opportunity. No longer can the Republican Party be solely the party of business. Who controls the terms of discussion, dialogue, and education controls the country and, therefore, the election.Message, message, message. Never substance, never considering actually trying to HELP, to address the very real problems facing our nation and our people. They fail because their ONLY interest is in acquiring power, not in governing. Never in governing to help the people.
It's time for Republicans to take it back. This will require much work and time, but there is no more important business.
Or look at McCain’s meltdown today, when confronted with truth to power.
Because I have the right as a senator to have no comment and who the hell are you to tell me I can or not?After all, he is a US Senator! We serve HIM, right?! HE is the important one, not us. He is owed answers, he isn’t responsible for providing them, for informing the people, for being ACCOUNTABLE. What a dick. It seems he isn’t clear on why and how he lost in 2008. And in the years, months, weeks, days and hours since. Like he lost today.
Here is just an excerpt of Rachel Maddow’s incredible words on that fateful night. PLEASE do yourself a favor and read them ALL! Or watch video of that show. She hit a home run. Grand Slam. World Series Sweep. Rachel Maddow, 2016. I could do that without reservation!
Ohio really did go to President Obama last night.You go Rachel!
And he really did win.
And he really was born in Hawaii.
And climate change is real.
And rape really does cause pregnancy sometimes.
And evolution is a thing.
And Benghazi was an attack on us.
It was not a scandal by us.
And nobody is taking away anyone's guns.
And taxes have not gone up.
And the deficit is dropping, actually.
And Saddam Hussein didn't have weapons of mass destruction.
On to tonight’s comments! Graciously compiled and formatted by brillig, my personal favorite Kossack!
::blush:: That was hands-down my favorite Rachel Maddow (or possibly anyone's) piece EVER. Blew me away with it in content and delivery. As does beninSC with his diaries, too.
Brillig's ObDisclaimer: The decision to publish each nomination lies with the evening's Diarist and/or Comment Formatter. My evenings at the helm, I try reeeeallllyy hard to publish everything without regard to content. I really do, even when I disagree personally with any given nomination. "TopCommentness" lies in the eyes of the nominator and of you, the reader - I leave the decision to you. I do not publish self-nominations (ie your own comments) and if I ruled the world, we'd all build community, supporting and uplifting instead of tearing our fellow Kossacks down.
From Gentle Giant:I nominate this comment by cactusgal in today's (Thursday's) Cheers and Jeers. The conversation steered to plagues of locusts and cactusgal had this to offer.
From brillig:In Hunter's diary John McCain has meltdown when asked why he didn't attend Benghazi briefing, lgmcp counters McCain's assertion that how he spends his time is unquestionable.
Applause to Spit for trying to engage in deeper way with the Middle East tensions and the emotional heat those produce.
Top Mojo for yesterday, November 14th, first comments and tip jars excluded. Thank you mik for the mojo magic!
1) One more murder by religion. Shameful. by Tom Stokland — 315
2) Yep by Dallasdoc — 264
3) I remember.... by hotdamn — 237
4) you're wrong by Laurence Lewis — 206
5) Sarah Palin? nt by Cruzankenny — 182
6) Haven't any of these guys read by marykk — 175
7) What Dallasdoc is Really Saying by JekyllnHyde — 159
8) Harry's been on his nut lately. Nice to see. I by cany — 155
9) they should be tried for murder.... by SeaTurtle — 155
10) Maybe it's time to put him by anastasia p — 146
11) Socialist fuckstick'sAmerica's best prognosticator by FishOutofWater — 146
12) A Hindu, yes. by IndieGuy — 143
13) Every Obama voter gets a free bottle of... by Clive all hat no horse Rodeo — 140
14) I may interject here and say that most by Asinus Asinum Fricat — 137
15) This is the alternative by Spider Stumbled — 129
16) Dear Luke: Have you considered stepping aside by lineatus — 117
17) A dick to the bitter end. The 47% comment by khyber900 — 103
18) I recced, tipped and now I am saying Thank you. by CherryTheTart — 102
19) Has a man EVER been asked that question? by gustynpip — 102
20) John Kerry needs to stay in the Senate by bear83 — 100
21) I think McCain meant to say by gramofsam1 — 99
22) I'm sure Romney's billionaire supporters... by Dallasdoc — 98
23) Well Mitt, Obama did give us all a gift by Vita Brevis — 98
24) It is really sad. . . . by 4CasandChlo — 98
25) Code for she's black by miracle11 — 97
26) The old boxer in him is coming out. by psnyder — 95
27) If the mother dies, the baby dies. But if the by concernedamerican — 93
28) Did he ask it of John Boehner or Harry Reid by elfling — 93
29) The mother died a slow, painful, preventable by LilithGardener — 93
30) Thanks for the diary... by markthshark — 93
Top Pictures for yesterday, November 14th. Click any image to be taken to the full comment. Thank you jotter for the image magic!