This diary is not about quilts. It's about hunger, making a difference, recognizing and rewarding beauty. OK, maybe a little about A quilt.
The reason for the creation of the Daily Kos Quilt Guild Auction Alliance:
To hold an auction to benefit the Okiciyap program, which provides a foodshelf and other services on a South Dakota Indian reservation. We have done fund-raisers for them before, and are hoping to maybe get them a little breathing room before the summer.
The quilt blocks were constructed last year. While I can't speak for anyone else, that rarely even slows me down, so I want to say doing one of these blocks is fun. It's for a good cause, and just doing one block lets me experiment. Some of the blocks have multiple little pieces, and all are gorgeous.
The blocks were laid out and sewn into a quilt top by Melanie in IA, and BeadLady did a fabulous jobs of quilting the top, batting and back fabric together. BeadLady will publish a diary on the quilting process at 5 p.m. CDT. Please check out her beautiful work.
The best part of all this, however, is yet to come. Between now and April 7, there will be at least one diary a day to promote interest and knowledge about poverty, Okiciyap, quilting and more. One reason I have skimped on talking about Okiciyap here is there is a lot of information coming from much more knowledgable sources than me.
Both well and barely known Kossacks have agreed to participate, and I am really looking forward to this!
Below the fleur-de-kos are the rules. Funny how something we think will be so simple involves multiple rules. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. However, simplicity rules.
1) Auction runs from 5:00 p.m. (12:00 CDT) Wednesday, March 27th to Sunday, April 7 at approximately 7:00 p.m. CDT. The last two+ hours of the auction will be held online. If no higher bids are posted by 7:10 p.m. the best bid before 7:00 p.m. will be declared the winner.
1.1)The auction will end as soon as no higher bids are posted within 10 minutes of the highest bid received. Final bids will be decided by the time posted on the message. The decision of the judges (weck, Pam from Calif and glorificus) on winning bid is final.
1.2)After the final bid is decided and the successful bidder notified, the donation will be made, and once confirmed, BeadLady will send the quilt to the lucky winner!
2) Bids will be accepted by making comments in diaries, as well as by kosmailing weck and/or glorificus.
2.1) If you wish to remain anonymous, you may set that up with weck or glorificus in advance, and we will use a number when we post your bids in a diary. (example = Anon-02)
2.2) If you want to leave an absentee bid, you may do that with either weck or glorificus. We will need the highest amount you are willing to bid and we will place those bids for you in 10 dollar increments as the bidding progresses throughout the auction. If the bidding goes higher than you first authorized, you may contact the same person again with a new top limit, or bid in the diaries. Absentee bids should be
placed with weck or glorificus as far in advance as possible.
3) Bidding by groups is allowed, as long as only one contact name is used. Please let us know the details of your group and who is the official spokesperson for the group.
4) Bidding is in minimum increments of $10.00. You may bid in higher increments that can be divided evenly by $10.00.
4.1) Bids must be in U.S. funds.
5) weck and glorificus will do their best to inform all bidders of the newest high bid. To receive this information in your Kosmail box, please ask weck or glorificus to join Daily Kos Quilt Guild Auction Alliance group.
We will send groupmail to everyone (Each member will be made an editor for the duration of the auction) Reminder* groupmail doesn't show up on your main page; you will have to check for messages manually.*
6) A PayPal link will be included for other donations to Okiciyap. While we cherish the thought that you may choose to donate to Okiciyap during the auction, only the winning bid counts. While you may not want to win the quilt, we will happily accept $5, $20 or any other amount.
6a)It is not necessary to donate through the PayPal to Okiciyap to participate in the auction.
7) The winning bidder can make payment arrangements that are not through PayPal with weck or glorificus. We know that some folks don't use Paypal.
8) The winning bidder will have 48 hours to confirm their success. After 48 hours, the judges may, at their discretion, offer the second highest bidder the opportunity to redeem the quilt. The decision of the judges is final. The judges are weck, glorificus and (to ensure fairness) Pam from Calif.