Just wanted to float an idea for a halfway measure for filibuster reform that might be workable. Senators could invoke a filibuster pretty much as they can currently but the Senator in question would move to a status functionally equivalent to holding the floor and talking on the specific issue. If the Senate moved on to other business (immediately, or after some grace period, e.g., 3, 5, 7 , or 14 days), the Senator in question could be counted as present/nonvoting for rollcall votes but otherwise treated as if they were committed to physically holding the floor in another location. Except for the specific action they were filibustering, they would be ineligible to vote, speak on the floor, participate in committee meetings, or even be recognized on the floor (except for motions on the item they were filibustering). The reform could be further augmented by allowing cloture to be invoked by any vote that satisfied the two conditions: (1) pro-cloture votes gained a plurality AND (2) the votes to SUSTAIN the filibuster failed to gain 40. Obviously, one party would have to target their filibuster invocations very carefully because their voting ranks to sustain multiple filibusters, and for any other business, could be depleted very quickly.
This is only a Preview!
You must Publish this diary to make this visible to the public,
or click 'Edit Diary' to make further changes first.
Posting a Diary Entry
Daily Kos welcomes blog articles from readers, known as diaries. The Intro section to a diary should be about three paragraphs long, and is required. The body section is optional, as is the poll, which can have 1 to 15 choices. Descriptive tags are also required to help others find your diary by subject; please don't use "cute" tags.
When you're ready, scroll down below the tags and click Save & Preview. You can edit your diary after it's published by clicking Edit Diary. Polls cannot be edited once they are published.
If this is your first time creating a Diary since the Ajax upgrade, before you enter any text below, please press Ctrl-F5 and then hold down the Shift Key and press your browser's Reload button to refresh its cache with the new script files.
ATTENTION: READ THE RULES.
- One diary daily maximum.
- Substantive diaries only. If you don't have at least three solid, original paragraphs, you should probably post a comment in an Open Thread.
- No repetitive diaries. Take a moment to ensure your topic hasn't been blogged (you can search for Stories and Diaries that already cover this topic), though fresh original analysis is always welcome.
- Use the "Body" textbox if your diary entry is longer than three paragraphs.
- Any images in your posts must be hosted by an approved image hosting service (one of: imageshack.us, photobucket.com, flickr.com, smugmug.com, allyoucanupload.com, picturetrail.com, mac.com, webshots.com, editgrid.com).
- Copying and pasting entire copyrighted works is prohibited. If you do quote something, keep it brief, always provide a link to the original source, and use the <blockquote> tags to clearly identify the quoted material. Violating this rule is grounds for immediate banning.
- Be civil. Do not "call out" other users by name in diary titles. Do not use profanity in diary titles. Don't write diaries whose main purpose is to deliberately inflame.
Please begin with an informative title: