- Today's comic by Jen Sorensen is Lance's harsh landing:
- Conspiracy theorists lose another one:
Photographer and filmmaker S.G. Collins has a simple new explanation for why the moon landing couldn’t have been a hoax. Back in 1969, we simply didn’t have the video technology necessary to fake what people saw. It was actually easier for the U.S. government to just send people up to the moon
- Clinton for President '08 pays off final debt: And now the campaign is running a $204,833 surplus.
- Perhaps Trump can tweet for donations to buy The New York Times: The Donald is said, according to several sources, to have held meetings on the subject of purchasing the Times, which, by the way, isn't for sale.
Trump certainly has many opinions on how Times journalism should be conducted. For instance, when columnist Gail Collins derided Trump’s birther obsession in 2011, calling him “the man who can make Bill O'Reilly look like the most sensible guy in the room,” Trump responded with a letter to the editor claiming that Collins's “storytelling ability and word usage (coming from me, who has written many bestsellers), is not at a very high level. More importantly, her facts are wrong!”
- Utah employer fires two employees for supporting Obama:
“They were Obama supporters. We just knew they were," Terry Lee, owner of Terry Lee Forensics, a Cedar City, Utah, digital forensics company, told The Salt Lake Tribune on Thursday. [...]
According to the Tribune, Lee showed his support for the tactic by writing:
"Love it. We had to let two employees go to cover new Obongocare [sic] costs and increased taxes. Found two Obongo supporters and gave them the news yesterday. They wanted the idiot in the Whitehouse [sic], they reap the benefits.”
- Teacher marries student to avoid statutory rape trial: In North Carolina, as in other states, it is against the law to make the spouse of a defendant testify against his or her significant other. In 2009, 42-year-old Leah Gayle Shipman was arrested and charged with statutory rape for allegedly having sex with Johnnie Ray Ison, then 15. Shipman divorced her husband of 19 years in January 2011 and, five days later, asked and got permission from Johnnie Ray's mom to marry the kid. Consequently, prosecutors discovered last month when it became time to move the charge forward that they no longer had a provable case.
- But did he pass Algebra I? Sixteen-year-old Noah Arthurs completed a Rubik's cube puzzle behind his back while skiing downhill in Windham, N.Y.
- Nepal will issue third-gender IDs:
An official says Nepal’s government will begin issuing citizenship certificates with the category “third gender” for people who do not wish to be identified as male or female.The Himalayan nation's supreme court ruled in 2007 that this must be done, but the change is just now being implemented.
This is only a Preview!
You must Publish this diary to make this visible to the public,
or click 'Edit Diary' to make further changes first.
Posting a Diary Entry
Daily Kos welcomes blog articles from readers, known as diaries. The Intro section to a diary should be about three paragraphs long, and is required. The body section is optional, as is the poll, which can have 1 to 15 choices. Descriptive tags are also required to help others find your diary by subject; please don't use "cute" tags.
When you're ready, scroll down below the tags and click Save & Preview. You can edit your diary after it's published by clicking Edit Diary. Polls cannot be edited once they are published.
If this is your first time creating a Diary since the Ajax upgrade, before you enter any text below, please press Ctrl-F5 and then hold down the Shift Key and press your browser's Reload button to refresh its cache with the new script files.
ATTENTION: READ THE RULES.
- One diary daily maximum.
- Substantive diaries only. If you don't have at least three solid, original paragraphs, you should probably post a comment in an Open Thread.
- No repetitive diaries. Take a moment to ensure your topic hasn't been blogged (you can search for Stories and Diaries that already cover this topic), though fresh original analysis is always welcome.
- Use the "Body" textbox if your diary entry is longer than three paragraphs.
- Any images in your posts must be hosted by an approved image hosting service (one of: imageshack.us, photobucket.com, flickr.com, smugmug.com, allyoucanupload.com, picturetrail.com, mac.com, webshots.com, editgrid.com).
- Copying and pasting entire copyrighted works is prohibited. If you do quote something, keep it brief, always provide a link to the original source, and use the <blockquote> tags to clearly identify the quoted material. Violating this rule is grounds for immediate banning.
- Be civil. Do not "call out" other users by name in diary titles. Do not use profanity in diary titles. Don't write diaries whose main purpose is to deliberately inflame.
Please begin with an informative title: