Call In, talk and/or Listen: (646) 929-2495
Listen On Computer/Smartphone Live/Podcast: HERE
This week’s show
Hugo Chavez died on Tuesday. I did an iReport for CNN and wrote the blog post “Venezuela’s Hugo Chavez Dead: Hero Of The Poor And Middle Class In Words & Deeds”. I got excoriated for it both by many at the CNN site and via emails from as far as United Kingdom. I also got messages that said I was brave to take a position out of the mainstream of US thought. An exile from Venezuela took me to task because I did not live in Venezuela.
Those who attacked me failed to see the most important point I was trying to get across. Hugo Chavez was the creation of the Venezuelan oligarchy, the Venezuelan plutocracy. He was that icon the poor and suffering middle classes placed their hope in to make a change.
If we know that our media is corporate controlled and misleads or turn a blind eye to political shenanigans (misreporting of war in Iraq, Invasion of Panama, etc.), should we not explore how it addressed Hugo Chavez relative to his confronting the Venezuelan Plutocracy?
The question is, with the American Plutocracy effecting one of the largest income and wealth disparity in the industrialized world, is there an American Hugo Chavez waiting to emerge? Whether you agree or not I would love to engage on that premise.
Please call in and let us talk about it.
My Blog Posts Of The Week
Coffee Party Radio Shows
This is only a Preview!
You must Publish this diary to make this visible to the public,
or click 'Edit Diary' to make further changes first.
Posting a Diary Entry
Daily Kos welcomes blog articles from readers, known as diaries. The Intro section to a diary should be about three paragraphs long, and is required. The body section is optional, as is the poll, which can have 1 to 15 choices. Descriptive tags are also required to help others find your diary by subject; please don't use "cute" tags.
When you're ready, scroll down below the tags and click Save & Preview. You can edit your diary after it's published by clicking Edit Diary. Polls cannot be edited once they are published.
If this is your first time creating a Diary since the Ajax upgrade, before you enter any text below, please press Ctrl-F5 and then hold down the Shift Key and press your browser's Reload button to refresh its cache with the new script files.
ATTENTION: READ THE RULES.
- One diary daily maximum.
- Substantive diaries only. If you don't have at least three solid, original paragraphs, you should probably post a comment in an Open Thread.
- No repetitive diaries. Take a moment to ensure your topic hasn't been blogged (you can search for Stories and Diaries that already cover this topic), though fresh original analysis is always welcome.
- Use the "Body" textbox if your diary entry is longer than three paragraphs.
- Any images in your posts must be hosted by an approved image hosting service (one of: imageshack.us, photobucket.com, flickr.com, smugmug.com, allyoucanupload.com, picturetrail.com, mac.com, webshots.com, editgrid.com).
- Copying and pasting entire copyrighted works is prohibited. If you do quote something, keep it brief, always provide a link to the original source, and use the <blockquote> tags to clearly identify the quoted material. Violating this rule is grounds for immediate banning.
- Be civil. Do not "call out" other users by name in diary titles. Do not use profanity in diary titles. Don't write diaries whose main purpose is to deliberately inflame.
Please begin with an informative title: