I love checking in with the crazies featured on Right Wing Watch. If you're a liberal, and you love sampling true, full-blown conservative lunacy this site is like your first kiss, a dish of Breyer's vanilla melted just a little, and the Tom Cruise Scientology video combined. It gives me a giddy and terrible feeling that's pure magic. I'm not exaggerating.
This nugget - a chunk from a Glenn Beck rant - is particularly pungent. He starts off by comparing progressives to Hitler, and then goes so much further than that. Until he's using the American flag in a reenactment of the CPR/death scene in every action movie you've ever watched.
At 1:48 his voice actually turns gravelly with sadness describing how this unfolds - like he's feeling actual emotion about something we know isn't real. He gets caught up in this scene, in his own performance. But that's just the overture. The absolute revelation comes a moment later, at 2:04.
Then he throws the flag away. He tosses it off to one side, his focus on it clicks off, and he continues with the performance. Look at his expression and his body language in this instant. It's a prop for him, and he doesn't need it anymore. He does literally what we've all suspected him of doing figuratively. And so have other people on the right. In innumerable ways, they've acted like that flag, along with everything it represents, is just a tool.
Well... on my blog at the bottom of this post is a gif of what a tool really looks like. Can we keep it in mind?
NOTE: Please read Republicans Embarrassed To Mention Delicate Lady-Issues. It was reposted on Jezebel, which delighted me.
This is only a Preview!
You must Publish this diary to make this visible to the public,
or click 'Edit Diary' to make further changes first.
Posting a Diary Entry
Daily Kos welcomes blog articles from readers, known as diaries. The Intro section to a diary should be about three paragraphs long, and is required. The body section is optional, as is the poll, which can have 1 to 15 choices. Descriptive tags are also required to help others find your diary by subject; please don't use "cute" tags.
When you're ready, scroll down below the tags and click Save & Preview. You can edit your diary after it's published by clicking Edit Diary. Polls cannot be edited once they are published.
If this is your first time creating a Diary since the Ajax upgrade, before you enter any text below, please press Ctrl-F5 and then hold down the Shift Key and press your browser's Reload button to refresh its cache with the new script files.
ATTENTION: READ THE RULES.
- One diary daily maximum.
- Substantive diaries only. If you don't have at least three solid, original paragraphs, you should probably post a comment in an Open Thread.
- No repetitive diaries. Take a moment to ensure your topic hasn't been blogged (you can search for Stories and Diaries that already cover this topic), though fresh original analysis is always welcome.
- Use the "Body" textbox if your diary entry is longer than three paragraphs.
- Any images in your posts must be hosted by an approved image hosting service (one of: imageshack.us, photobucket.com, flickr.com, smugmug.com, allyoucanupload.com, picturetrail.com, mac.com, webshots.com, editgrid.com).
- Copying and pasting entire copyrighted works is prohibited. If you do quote something, keep it brief, always provide a link to the original source, and use the <blockquote> tags to clearly identify the quoted material. Violating this rule is grounds for immediate banning.
- Be civil. Do not "call out" other users by name in diary titles. Do not use profanity in diary titles. Don't write diaries whose main purpose is to deliberately inflame.
Please begin with an informative title: