(The above is a pro-gun photo that has been circulating the internet. Sadly it's a glimpse of America. There is no photo available of the precious child that died Wednesday.)
It seems like an everyday thing now. You get online or turn on the TV and there it is. Another headline of a child/toddler getting hold of a gun, playing with a gun, and dying by a gun.
Some of the public and media seem to be getting tired or numb to such stories. The Arizona death of a 3-year old, barely made it to mainstream media. Why? Is this kind of story no longer shiny and sexy news? I’m angry. Children –babies are dying for no good reasons, while pompous NRA advocates are finding more ways to lobby/buy more pro-gun laws. In Arizona, the state where this child died, Governor Jan Brewer passed two pro-NRA/pro-gun laws this very week. One law demands resale of guns that were brought to community gun buyback events, by many citizens who wanted to promote gun safety after the Gabby Giffords shooting. They wanted to help get firearms off the streets, and out of the hands of wrong people. Brewer basically flipped them off, and also passed another law making it illegal to gather or maintain background checks on current gun owners. Yes, you read that right.
I wonder if the Arizona governor has any feelings about this toddler’s death. If so, did it cause her to rethink her new laws? At three, many children are still in diapers. How the hell do we live in a country, where a toddler can so easily find a gun, and shoot himself in the face? How many innocent children, and adults are going to die in this country before all lawmakers start doing the right thing.American deaths in the Iraq war (4,486 U.S. soldiers were killed in Iraq) About 70 of the known gun deaths since Sandy Hook have been children. This means we have basically allowed three more Sandy Hook Massacres to take place, one child at a time.Here are three very recent child tragedies:
May 1, in Arizona Arizona, a 3-year old, Darrien Nez, shot himself after finding a 9mm pistol in his 35-year old grandmother’s backpack.
April 30, in Kentucky, a 5-year old boy shoots and kills his 2-year old sister with a .22 caliber rifle he received as a gift.
April 17, in Kansas, a 7-year old, Gavin Brummett, shot himself in the head while firing a semiautomatic handgun. He was on a family shooting trip.
As I’m writing this, I’m torn up inside. It all seems so senseless. Rather it is senseless. When it’s easier to get a gun in this country, than it is to get a library card, something is horribly wrong.
This is only a Preview!
You must Publish this diary to make this visible to the public,
or click 'Edit Diary' to make further changes first.
Posting a Diary Entry
Daily Kos welcomes blog articles from readers, known as diaries. The Intro section to a diary should be about three paragraphs long, and is required. The body section is optional, as is the poll, which can have 1 to 15 choices. Descriptive tags are also required to help others find your diary by subject; please don't use "cute" tags.
When you're ready, scroll down below the tags and click Save & Preview. You can edit your diary after it's published by clicking Edit Diary. Polls cannot be edited once they are published.
If this is your first time creating a Diary since the Ajax upgrade, before you enter any text below, please press Ctrl-F5 and then hold down the Shift Key and press your browser's Reload button to refresh its cache with the new script files.
ATTENTION: READ THE RULES.
- One diary daily maximum.
- Substantive diaries only. If you don't have at least three solid, original paragraphs, you should probably post a comment in an Open Thread.
- No repetitive diaries. Take a moment to ensure your topic hasn't been blogged (you can search for Stories and Diaries that already cover this topic), though fresh original analysis is always welcome.
- Use the "Body" textbox if your diary entry is longer than three paragraphs.
- Any images in your posts must be hosted by an approved image hosting service (one of: imageshack.us, photobucket.com, flickr.com, smugmug.com, allyoucanupload.com, picturetrail.com, mac.com, webshots.com, editgrid.com).
- Copying and pasting entire copyrighted works is prohibited. If you do quote something, keep it brief, always provide a link to the original source, and use the <blockquote> tags to clearly identify the quoted material. Violating this rule is grounds for immediate banning.
- Be civil. Do not "call out" other users by name in diary titles. Do not use profanity in diary titles. Don't write diaries whose main purpose is to deliberately inflame.
Please begin with an informative title: