Coons has been an outspoken advocate for marriage equality and a loyal ally for the group, Equality Delaware. If you want to thank Governor Jack Markell (D. DE), Equality Delaware and the General Assembly, you can do so here:Today is historic!
The state legislature has passed the Civil Marriage Equality and Religious Freedom Act of 2013, which extends the freedom to marry to same-sex couples.
This incredible victory couldn’t have happened without the support of engaged, passionate citizens, the leadership of Equality Delaware, and the courage of Governor Markell and state legislators.
Two years ago, Delaware took a step forward by endorsing civil unions. Now all Delawareans will enjoy the freedom to marry who they love, regardless of their sexual orientation.Please join me in thanking Equality Delaware, Governor Markell, members of the General Assembly and thousands of engaged, passionate citizens for passing this historic law and affirming that Delaware stands for full equality.
Click here to send your thanks to Equality Delaware, Governor Markell, members of the General Assembly and thousands of citizen activists for standing up for marriage equality:
As an original cosponsor of a federal bill to repeal the Defense of Marriage Act, I am committed to advancing equality at the national level to ensure that all Americans are guaranteed access to the rights and responsibility that come with marriage.
Today is a historic moment for our state. I am proud that Delaware is leading the way in support of equality for all.
This is only a Preview!
You must Publish this diary to make this visible to the public,
or click 'Edit Diary' to make further changes first.
Posting a Diary Entry
Daily Kos welcomes blog articles from readers, known as diaries. The Intro section to a diary should be about three paragraphs long, and is required. The body section is optional, as is the poll, which can have 1 to 15 choices. Descriptive tags are also required to help others find your diary by subject; please don't use "cute" tags.
When you're ready, scroll down below the tags and click Save & Preview. You can edit your diary after it's published by clicking Edit Diary. Polls cannot be edited once they are published.
If this is your first time creating a Diary since the Ajax upgrade, before you enter any text below, please press Ctrl-F5 and then hold down the Shift Key and press your browser's Reload button to refresh its cache with the new script files.
ATTENTION: READ THE RULES.
- One diary daily maximum.
- Substantive diaries only. If you don't have at least three solid, original paragraphs, you should probably post a comment in an Open Thread.
- No repetitive diaries. Take a moment to ensure your topic hasn't been blogged (you can search for Stories and Diaries that already cover this topic), though fresh original analysis is always welcome.
- Use the "Body" textbox if your diary entry is longer than three paragraphs.
- Any images in your posts must be hosted by an approved image hosting service (one of: imageshack.us, photobucket.com, flickr.com, smugmug.com, allyoucanupload.com, picturetrail.com, mac.com, webshots.com, editgrid.com).
- Copying and pasting entire copyrighted works is prohibited. If you do quote something, keep it brief, always provide a link to the original source, and use the <blockquote> tags to clearly identify the quoted material. Violating this rule is grounds for immediate banning.
- Be civil. Do not "call out" other users by name in diary titles. Do not use profanity in diary titles. Don't write diaries whose main purpose is to deliberately inflame.
Please begin with an informative title: