This is so offensive in so many ways, I don't know where to begin. During Houston's NRA Conference last week, a vendor was promoting shooting targets. One target looked so much like President Obama, it had to be taken off display. However the one 'token' female target called 'Ex', to represent an ex-girlfriend or ex-wife, that bleeds when you shoot her, was allowed to stay. It apparently met the NRA decency guidelines.
Elisabeth Plank from Policymic shares her views and very good research information:
"I'm not even sure how to begin unpacking this, so let me start with some stats. Men's violence against women is not a small pickle, it's a huge problem. Not just all over the world and in every society, but particularly here in the United States where" domestic violence is the leading cause of injury to women — more than car accidents, muggings, and rapes combined." One third of female murder victims are killed by an intimate partner.Thank you, Elizabeth. You said it better than I would. If I were to write more now, given my state of anger and outrage, I doubt my choice of words would get past this, or most site's obscenity 'guidelines' --and I wanted to get the story out.
Gun violence is a gendered issue since it impacts women and men in very different ways. Because women are more vulnerable to violence within the home than men (and men are most often the perpetrators of violence against women), the presence of a gun makes females less safe, not more. How do we know? A woman's likelihood of a violent death within the home actually increases by 270% when a gun is kept inside the house. Homicide figures don't lie. Having a gun within their possession didn't protect women from murder. In fact, it accurately predicted their higher likelihood of death.
against women. Let's show how guns can be used for revenge, for humor, for sport and let's show how guns can be used for murder against women."
Every day, at least three women are killed by an intimate partner in the US alone.
I am grateful the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) was signed into law. There are women's right's organizations like UniteWomen.org who have campaigns protesting violence against women and who recently began a campaign called, Unite Against Rape. And I'm grateful for sites like Women's Health.gov that give information links and helplines for women who need help and don't know where to find it. Through these groups and articles, we build awareness and together find ways to combat violence against women.
If you feel you're in danger, please call the National Domestic Violence Hotline and get help: 1-800-799-SAFE
This is only a Preview!
You must Publish this diary to make this visible to the public,
or click 'Edit Diary' to make further changes first.
Posting a Diary Entry
Daily Kos welcomes blog articles from readers, known as diaries. The Intro section to a diary should be about three paragraphs long, and is required. The body section is optional, as is the poll, which can have 1 to 15 choices. Descriptive tags are also required to help others find your diary by subject; please don't use "cute" tags.
When you're ready, scroll down below the tags and click Save & Preview. You can edit your diary after it's published by clicking Edit Diary. Polls cannot be edited once they are published.
If this is your first time creating a Diary since the Ajax upgrade, before you enter any text below, please press Ctrl-F5 and then hold down the Shift Key and press your browser's Reload button to refresh its cache with the new script files.
ATTENTION: READ THE RULES.
- One diary daily maximum.
- Substantive diaries only. If you don't have at least three solid, original paragraphs, you should probably post a comment in an Open Thread.
- No repetitive diaries. Take a moment to ensure your topic hasn't been blogged (you can search for Stories and Diaries that already cover this topic), though fresh original analysis is always welcome.
- Use the "Body" textbox if your diary entry is longer than three paragraphs.
- Any images in your posts must be hosted by an approved image hosting service (one of: imageshack.us, photobucket.com, flickr.com, smugmug.com, allyoucanupload.com, picturetrail.com, mac.com, webshots.com, editgrid.com).
- Copying and pasting entire copyrighted works is prohibited. If you do quote something, keep it brief, always provide a link to the original source, and use the <blockquote> tags to clearly identify the quoted material. Violating this rule is grounds for immediate banning.
- Be civil. Do not "call out" other users by name in diary titles. Do not use profanity in diary titles. Don't write diaries whose main purpose is to deliberately inflame.
Please begin with an informative title: