You can sign Warner's petition here:I’m writing to ask for your help on an issue that has gotten a lot of attention recently: marriage equality.
Even though many states now recognize the rights of committed same-sex couples to marry, the federal government continues to discriminate. Same-sex couples are denied all sorts of legal rights – like access to their spouse’s insurance benefits and Social Security survivor benefits – because of an outdated law called DOMA.
That’s just wrong. All married couples should be entitled to the same legal rights – regardless of sexual orientation.
The Supreme Court recently heard oral arguments challenging the Constitutionality of DOMA, and I signed an amicus brief urging the Court to do the right thing and strike down this discriminatory law.
Can you make your voice heard before the Court issues its ruling? Please sign my petition and urge the Court to strike down DOMA so that committed same-sex couples get the same legal rights as anyone else:
When I was Governor, I implemented Virginia’s first executive order that explicitly banned discrimination against state employees because of sexual orientation.And I’m a supporter of marriage equality because I think it’s time that we end the continued discrimination against committed same-sex couples across the country. I’m asking for your help to get the job done.
Will you add your name and tell the Supreme Court that committed same sex couples should have the same rights as anyone else?
Thanks for all that you do,
This is only a Preview!
You must Publish this diary to make this visible to the public,
or click 'Edit Diary' to make further changes first.
Posting a Diary Entry
Daily Kos welcomes blog articles from readers, known as diaries. The Intro section to a diary should be about three paragraphs long, and is required. The body section is optional, as is the poll, which can have 1 to 15 choices. Descriptive tags are also required to help others find your diary by subject; please don't use "cute" tags.
When you're ready, scroll down below the tags and click Save & Preview. You can edit your diary after it's published by clicking Edit Diary. Polls cannot be edited once they are published.
If this is your first time creating a Diary since the Ajax upgrade, before you enter any text below, please press Ctrl-F5 and then hold down the Shift Key and press your browser's Reload button to refresh its cache with the new script files.
ATTENTION: READ THE RULES.
- One diary daily maximum.
- Substantive diaries only. If you don't have at least three solid, original paragraphs, you should probably post a comment in an Open Thread.
- No repetitive diaries. Take a moment to ensure your topic hasn't been blogged (you can search for Stories and Diaries that already cover this topic), though fresh original analysis is always welcome.
- Use the "Body" textbox if your diary entry is longer than three paragraphs.
- Any images in your posts must be hosted by an approved image hosting service (one of: imageshack.us, photobucket.com, flickr.com, smugmug.com, allyoucanupload.com, picturetrail.com, mac.com, webshots.com, editgrid.com).
- Copying and pasting entire copyrighted works is prohibited. If you do quote something, keep it brief, always provide a link to the original source, and use the <blockquote> tags to clearly identify the quoted material. Violating this rule is grounds for immediate banning.
- Be civil. Do not "call out" other users by name in diary titles. Do not use profanity in diary titles. Don't write diaries whose main purpose is to deliberately inflame.
Please begin with an informative title: