You can sign Shaheen's petition here:Brave survivors of sexual assault in the military have spoken up. It's time for Congress to listen.
After hearing testimony from victims and advocates about why independent prosecutors should handle military sexual assault cases, the Senate removed a bipartisan amendment that I cosponsored featuring that reform.
With an estimated 26,000 instances of unwanted sexual contact in our military last year alone, this issue requires meaningful reform. Year after year, it gets worse.Soldiers from New Hampshire and across America make the ultimate sacrifice when they volunteer themselves to defend our freedoms. They deserve better – they deserve justice.
They deserve a vote on this legislation before the full Senate. I’m joining with my colleagues in the Senate to make that happen. Will you stand with us?
Tell the Senate that we cannot ignore the epidemic of sexual assault in our military. Add your name to our petition demanding a full Senate vote on the Military Justice Improvement Act:
We can’t wait to make changes. And these changes shouldn’t be controversial. Providing our soldiers with a pathway to justice is common sense.
We have to stop the culture of abuse that has taken hold in our military.
Every minute we delay, more men and women are being assaulted. An average of 71 assaults are estimated to occur each day. We have to do something.
Add your voice now in support of our soldiers: tell the Senate our troops deserve a vote:
Thank you for doing your part to stand up for the service members who give us their all.
This is only a Preview!
You must Publish this diary to make this visible to the public,
or click 'Edit Diary' to make further changes first.
Posting a Diary Entry
Daily Kos welcomes blog articles from readers, known as diaries. The Intro section to a diary should be about three paragraphs long, and is required. The body section is optional, as is the poll, which can have 1 to 15 choices. Descriptive tags are also required to help others find your diary by subject; please don't use "cute" tags.
When you're ready, scroll down below the tags and click Save & Preview. You can edit your diary after it's published by clicking Edit Diary. Polls cannot be edited once they are published.
If this is your first time creating a Diary since the Ajax upgrade, before you enter any text below, please press Ctrl-F5 and then hold down the Shift Key and press your browser's Reload button to refresh its cache with the new script files.
ATTENTION: READ THE RULES.
- One diary daily maximum.
- Substantive diaries only. If you don't have at least three solid, original paragraphs, you should probably post a comment in an Open Thread.
- No repetitive diaries. Take a moment to ensure your topic hasn't been blogged (you can search for Stories and Diaries that already cover this topic), though fresh original analysis is always welcome.
- Use the "Body" textbox if your diary entry is longer than three paragraphs.
- Any images in your posts must be hosted by an approved image hosting service (one of: imageshack.us, photobucket.com, flickr.com, smugmug.com, allyoucanupload.com, picturetrail.com, mac.com, webshots.com, editgrid.com).
- Copying and pasting entire copyrighted works is prohibited. If you do quote something, keep it brief, always provide a link to the original source, and use the <blockquote> tags to clearly identify the quoted material. Violating this rule is grounds for immediate banning.
- Be civil. Do not "call out" other users by name in diary titles. Do not use profanity in diary titles. Don't write diaries whose main purpose is to deliberately inflame.
Please begin with an informative title: