OK

This is only a Preview!

You must Publish this diary to make this visible to the public,
or click 'Edit Diary' to make further changes first.

Posting a Diary Entry

Daily Kos welcomes blog articles from readers, known as diaries. The Intro section to a diary should be about three paragraphs long, and is required. The body section is optional, as is the poll, which can have 1 to 15 choices. Descriptive tags are also required to help others find your diary by subject; please don't use "cute" tags.

When you're ready, scroll down below the tags and click Save & Preview. You can edit your diary after it's published by clicking Edit Diary. Polls cannot be edited once they are published.

If this is your first time creating a Diary since the Ajax upgrade, before you enter any text below, please press Ctrl-F5 and then hold down the Shift Key and press your browser's Reload button to refresh its cache with the new script files.

ATTENTION: READ THE RULES.

  1. One diary daily maximum.
  2. Substantive diaries only. If you don't have at least three solid, original paragraphs, you should probably post a comment in an Open Thread.
  3. No repetitive diaries. Take a moment to ensure your topic hasn't been blogged (you can search for Stories and Diaries that already cover this topic), though fresh original analysis is always welcome.
  4. Use the "Body" textbox if your diary entry is longer than three paragraphs.
  5. Any images in your posts must be hosted by an approved image hosting service (one of: imageshack.us, photobucket.com, flickr.com, smugmug.com, allyoucanupload.com, picturetrail.com, mac.com, webshots.com, editgrid.com).
  6. Copying and pasting entire copyrighted works is prohibited. If you do quote something, keep it brief, always provide a link to the original source, and use the <blockquote> tags to clearly identify the quoted material. Violating this rule is grounds for immediate banning.
  7. Be civil. Do not "call out" other users by name in diary titles. Do not use profanity in diary titles. Don't write diaries whose main purpose is to deliberately inflame.
For the complete list of DailyKos diary guidelines, please click here.

Please begin with an informative title:

DK Quilt Guild: A place for quilters to gather, share ideas, projects, and to make the world a better place, one quilt at a time. Join us and share your thoughts, projects, questions, and tips. Quilters here are at many different levels of skill. Beginners and non-quilters are welcome, too!
A while back I took a “Fine Tune Your Piecing” class from Heart to Heart Quilt Shop near Birmingham, AL.  The class was great and I learned several valuable techniques.  The one I’m sharing today enables you to get perfect points/intersections on your Quarter Square Triangles (QSTs) every time.  
Intro

You must enter an Intro for your Diary Entry between 300 and 1150 characters long (that's approximately 50-175 words without any html or formatting markup).

The base technique is as demonstrated in this Missouri Star Quilt Co. video.  Although instead of ironing a crease and sewing a quarter inch on each side you use a ruler and draw the quarter inch sew lines.  About 75% of the time they turn out fine.  But the other 25% of the time my points/intersections are off, like this:

bad intersections  

The trick to getting perfect points/intersections every time is in how you draw your second set of sewing lines.  The sewing lines need to be perpendicular to your seam.

perpendicular

 Note the yellow tape on the ruler: it’s on a horizontal line on the ruler, and is on top of the seam.  Your line may end up more than a quarter inch from the points, no biggie.  You’re squares are oversized so you can trim down to the exact size anyways.  And this is what you end up with every time:

good intersections

What piecing tricks do you like?

And as always, share with us what you've been working on.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Would you like to write a future DK Quilt Guild diary?  Please join in! Please volunteer within the comments. Thanks
The schedule:

8/25 -- leu2500
9/01 -- OPEN
9/08 -- BeadLady
9/15 -- BeadLady
9/22 -- OPEN
9/29 -- OPEN

Extended (Optional)

EMAIL TO A FRIEND X
Your Email has been sent.