This decision seems natural, a no-brainer. Pope Francis has been named Time Magazine's 'Person Of The Year.'
"He really stood out to us as someone who has changed the tone and the perception and the focus of one of the world's largest institutions in an extraordinary way," said Nancy Gibbs, the magazine's managing editor.
Pope Francis entered the world scene, then entered our hearts within weeks of taking position. Oddly, this pontiff gained popularity by being controversial. His contemporary, what some call Liberal, stances on atheism, homosexuality, politics, and religious dogma have some American Right-Wingnuts with their panties in a twist (Sarah Palin, Rush Limbaugh, 'Christian' extremists…). The rest of us who have embraced this man of the cloth, don't really care about the naysayers. They are laughable and in the extreme minority. What many of us do care about is this Pope brings hope and love. He speaks of his disdain for greed and hypocrisy. He denounces the worship of money and he cares for the poor -really cares. Some say he is teaching Christians how to be Christians. There is a sincerity, goodness, and intelligence about Pope Francis that has endeared him to Catholics, and to the world.
I imagine the news of this award may put a little twinkle in the Pope's eyes for about a second, and then he'll go back to his work for the day - trying to change the world, for the better."The Holy Father is not looking to become famous or to receive honors," said the Vatican spokesman, the Rev. Federico Lombardi. "But if the choice of Person of Year helps spread the message of the Gospel — a message of God's love for everyone — he will certainly be happy about that."What I continue to read and hear in comments about this new pope, overwhelmingly contain one word:I'm not religious, BUTPope Francis makes us feel good. To most folks around the world, Pope Francis qualifies as 'Person of the Year,' period. Congratulations to 'The People's Pope.'
I'm an Atheist, BUT
I haven't been to church in years, BUT
I left the Catholic Church years ago, BUT
This is only a Preview!
You must Publish this diary to make this visible to the public,
or click 'Edit Diary' to make further changes first.
Posting a Diary Entry
Daily Kos welcomes blog articles from readers, known as diaries. The Intro section to a diary should be about three paragraphs long, and is required. The body section is optional, as is the poll, which can have 1 to 15 choices. Descriptive tags are also required to help others find your diary by subject; please don't use "cute" tags.
When you're ready, scroll down below the tags and click Save & Preview. You can edit your diary after it's published by clicking Edit Diary. Polls cannot be edited once they are published.
If this is your first time creating a Diary since the Ajax upgrade, before you enter any text below, please press Ctrl-F5 and then hold down the Shift Key and press your browser's Reload button to refresh its cache with the new script files.
ATTENTION: READ THE RULES.
- One diary daily maximum.
- Substantive diaries only. If you don't have at least three solid, original paragraphs, you should probably post a comment in an Open Thread.
- No repetitive diaries. Take a moment to ensure your topic hasn't been blogged (you can search for Stories and Diaries that already cover this topic), though fresh original analysis is always welcome.
- Use the "Body" textbox if your diary entry is longer than three paragraphs.
- Any images in your posts must be hosted by an approved image hosting service (one of: imageshack.us, photobucket.com, flickr.com, smugmug.com, allyoucanupload.com, picturetrail.com, mac.com, webshots.com, editgrid.com).
- Copying and pasting entire copyrighted works is prohibited. If you do quote something, keep it brief, always provide a link to the original source, and use the <blockquote> tags to clearly identify the quoted material. Violating this rule is grounds for immediate banning.
- Be civil. Do not "call out" other users by name in diary titles. Do not use profanity in diary titles. Don't write diaries whose main purpose is to deliberately inflame.
Please begin with an informative title: