You can click here to donate, get involved and stay up to date with Weiland's campaign:Sioux Falls businessman and Democratic candidate for Senate, Rick Weiland, announced that he is expanding his tour of South Dakota's 311 towns to include an additional 50 unincorporated towns.
"Unincorporated towns are to South Dakota what South Dakota is to the nation. They may be small, but they and the opinions and ideas of their citizens matter," Weiland said yesterday in Rowena, the 246th stop on his statewide tour.
“When I first got into this race, I pledged to visit every town in South Dakota. Some folks didn’t believe me. And quite a few folks, including sometimes myself, probably thought I was nuts. But 246 towns and 6 months later, nobody is saying that anymore. They can see exactly the same thing I can now see, that going out and talking with people, listening, and thinking, and learning with them, is the way to go. So far as I am concerned," Weiland said, "this kind of 'back to the future' campaign is proving what we should never have forgotten, that respecting people by going to them and asking them for their vote is better, both for them, and for the candidate, than trying to buy their vote on TV."
“That is why I am proud to announce that I am adding an additional 50 unincorporated towns to our statewide tour,” Weiland said. "Hopefully it will be above zero when I visit at least a few of them," he joked. "And if it were warmer than the balmy 25 degrees we had in Lennox that would be even better," he added.
“It is disgraceful that people in some of the towns I have visited tell me they haven't seen a candidate in decades. They are angry that politicians are serving the interests of the billionaires and special interests who fund their campaigns. 'What do you expect,' they tell me, 'of people who spend all their time raising money from rich non-South Dakotans and can't even be bothered to come out here one single time to talk with us.'"
“South Dakotans know they aren’t getting a fair shake when, no matter how hard they work, and many are working themselves to the bone, they can’t get ahead. Meanwhile, they see billionaires getting richer and richer, then having the gall to complain about having to pay the same tax rate as every day South Dakotans,” Weiland concluded.
On Tuesday, Weiland visited 11 additional towns: Colton, Lyons, Crooks, Renner, Ellis, Chancellor, Lennox, Harrisburg, Rowena, Ben Clare, and Booge.
This is only a Preview!
You must Publish this diary to make this visible to the public,
or click 'Edit Diary' to make further changes first.
Posting a Diary Entry
Daily Kos welcomes blog articles from readers, known as diaries. The Intro section to a diary should be about three paragraphs long, and is required. The body section is optional, as is the poll, which can have 1 to 15 choices. Descriptive tags are also required to help others find your diary by subject; please don't use "cute" tags.
When you're ready, scroll down below the tags and click Save & Preview. You can edit your diary after it's published by clicking Edit Diary. Polls cannot be edited once they are published.
If this is your first time creating a Diary since the Ajax upgrade, before you enter any text below, please press Ctrl-F5 and then hold down the Shift Key and press your browser's Reload button to refresh its cache with the new script files.
ATTENTION: READ THE RULES.
- One diary daily maximum.
- Substantive diaries only. If you don't have at least three solid, original paragraphs, you should probably post a comment in an Open Thread.
- No repetitive diaries. Take a moment to ensure your topic hasn't been blogged (you can search for Stories and Diaries that already cover this topic), though fresh original analysis is always welcome.
- Use the "Body" textbox if your diary entry is longer than three paragraphs.
- Any images in your posts must be hosted by an approved image hosting service (one of: imageshack.us, photobucket.com, flickr.com, smugmug.com, allyoucanupload.com, picturetrail.com, mac.com, webshots.com, editgrid.com).
- Copying and pasting entire copyrighted works is prohibited. If you do quote something, keep it brief, always provide a link to the original source, and use the <blockquote> tags to clearly identify the quoted material. Violating this rule is grounds for immediate banning.
- Be civil. Do not "call out" other users by name in diary titles. Do not use profanity in diary titles. Don't write diaries whose main purpose is to deliberately inflame.
Please begin with an informative title: