You can click here to add your name:The minimum wage today has less buying power than it did fifty years ago. That’s just wrong.
We can change that. The Fair Minimum Wage Act would increase the minimum wage to $10.10 an hour, up from $7.25 today, and provide a raise for tipped workers (who've been stuck at $2.13 an hour since 1991.)
Sign the petition and tell Congress: It’s time to raise the minimum wage.
Just as important, the Fair Minimum Wage Act would tie the minimum wage to the rate of inflation so working families earning minimum wage never lose a penny in buying power down the road. We've done that here in Oregon with our minimum wage, and it’s been a critical factor supporting our working families.
In the last several years, the top 1% have taken home some 95% of the economic gains. A stronger minimum wage means a stronger economy for all of us and better opportunities for working families. It’s a critical step towards making sure our nation's prosperity reaches everybody, not just the lucky few.
Please join me and call on Congress to pass the Fair Minimum Wage Act without delay.
Senator Jeff Merkley
This is only a Preview!
You must Publish this diary to make this visible to the public,
or click 'Edit Diary' to make further changes first.
Posting a Diary Entry
Daily Kos welcomes blog articles from readers, known as diaries. The Intro section to a diary should be about three paragraphs long, and is required. The body section is optional, as is the poll, which can have 1 to 15 choices. Descriptive tags are also required to help others find your diary by subject; please don't use "cute" tags.
When you're ready, scroll down below the tags and click Save & Preview. You can edit your diary after it's published by clicking Edit Diary. Polls cannot be edited once they are published.
If this is your first time creating a Diary since the Ajax upgrade, before you enter any text below, please press Ctrl-F5 and then hold down the Shift Key and press your browser's Reload button to refresh its cache with the new script files.
ATTENTION: READ THE RULES.
- One diary daily maximum.
- Substantive diaries only. If you don't have at least three solid, original paragraphs, you should probably post a comment in an Open Thread.
- No repetitive diaries. Take a moment to ensure your topic hasn't been blogged (you can search for Stories and Diaries that already cover this topic), though fresh original analysis is always welcome.
- Use the "Body" textbox if your diary entry is longer than three paragraphs.
- Any images in your posts must be hosted by an approved image hosting service (one of: imageshack.us, photobucket.com, flickr.com, smugmug.com, allyoucanupload.com, picturetrail.com, mac.com, webshots.com, editgrid.com).
- Copying and pasting entire copyrighted works is prohibited. If you do quote something, keep it brief, always provide a link to the original source, and use the <blockquote> tags to clearly identify the quoted material. Violating this rule is grounds for immediate banning.
- Be civil. Do not "call out" other users by name in diary titles. Do not use profanity in diary titles. Don't write diaries whose main purpose is to deliberately inflame.
Please begin with an informative title: