System problems preventing my diary from appearing tonight, as you'll see after the jump .........
But first: Top Comments appears nightly, as a round-up of the best comments on Daily Kos. Surely you come across comments daily that are perceptive, apropos and .. well, perhaps even humorous. But they are more meaningful if they're well-known ... which is where you come in (especially in diaries/stories receiving little attention).I'll be back later this month with a real diary - tonight, numerous system errors not allowing publishing what I had, which I then lost due to a power blip. Oh, well. I only have time for this: a classic story told by the former congressman, judge and law professor Abner Mikva about when he was a student at the University of Chicago law school:
Send your nominations to TopComments at gmail dot com by 9:30 PM Eastern Time nightly, or by our KosMail message board. Please indicate (a) why you liked the comment, and (b) your Dkos user name (to properly credit you) as well as a link to the comment itself.
On the way home from law school one night in 1948, I stopped by the ward headquarters in the ward where I lived. There was a street-front, and the name Timothy O'Sullivan, Ward Committeeman, was painted on the front window. I walked in and I said "I'd like to volunteer to work for (Adlai) Stevenson and (Paul) Douglas."In the meantime, let's get to the main reason you're here.
This quintessential Chicago ward committeeman took the cigar out of his mouth and glared at me and said, "Who sent you?" I said, "Nobody sent me." He put the cigar back in his mouth and he said, "We don't want nobody that nobody sent." This was the beginning of my political career in Chicago.
In the front-page story about the industrial spill closing the House but not the Senate - Jilikins comes up with a terrific solution to ending partisan gridlock IMHO. At the very least it puts a sh$t eating grin on my face.From greenbird:
In the diary by justjim35 about the amazing photo of the meeting between President Obama and Gov. Rick Perry today - jan4insight thought there should have been others sitting at that table.From Mike Kahlow:
In the same diary noted above, Hannibal begins a thread that is not for the delicate. ;-)From T Maysle:
In the diary by Gary Morton about President Obama laying into the GOP in an address today in Austin, Texas - 88kathy earns my nomination for tonight's top comments.
And lastly: yesterday's Top Mojo - mega-mojo to the intrepid mik ...... who rescued this feature from oblivion:
1) It won't pass the House. It doesn't need to. The by Susan from 29 — 166
2) It's Rick Freaking Perry by jusjtim35 — 132
3) Two third of the pissy Texas Teahadists? by Sam Sara — 129
4) Please proceed, Governor. by noweasels — 123
5) Acutally by stevenyaniz — 100
6) Don't agree by PurpleElectric — 99
7) Dan Savage has been all over this on Twitter. by slksfca — 96
8) Found this 'graph quite amusing... by bobswern — 85
9) The transcript is an enjoyable read by FiredUpInCA — 84
10) Actually these are NOT "old fashioned Texas by commonmass — 82
11) your question contains the answer by wilderness voice — 80
12) That was a very difficult task. by nosleep4u — 76
13) What do you call forcing an unwanted medical by Samer — 75
14) Hilarious! by weezilgirl — 73
15) While I do not automatically dismiss your concerns by pierre9045 — 73
16) how can we tell the gunner from the gun? by live1 — 72
17) Kochaine by Iberian — 71
18) They are doing it by mcstowy — 70
19) George Orwell's premonitions made reality: by Situational Lefty — 70
20) It was considered a done deal by Ellid — 68
21) If you watched PBO's presser afterward - it is by mrsgoo — 67
22) I'm sitting here with my butt hurt Ricky P. face. by Sam Sara — 66
23) I was going to post this by oxfdblue — 66
24) My favorite story of my youth goes like this.. by tmservo433 — 66
25) It took the crazy R's to make birth control by Bethesda 1971 — 66
26) The cop "Code of Silence" has to be ended. by xxdr zombiexx — 65
27) I've been upset about this nonsense ... by slatsg — 62
28) ^^^^ Clearly it's already working by Dallasdoc — 61
29) Great activism and one good sheriff in Texas by Shockwave — 60
30) You've been swimming in Kool-Aid by Dallasdoc — 60