Since I've been posting a few times about gun safety, I've found that responses from gun zealots typically go like this.
1. They counter the point I make in the post.
2. I provide a rational rebuttal - trying to find common ground.
3. They repeat the same point that they made in step 1.
4. I acknowledge their point and expand on my rationale.
5. They call me a godless un-American and leave the conversation
Often, they save time by jumping right to step 5.
By the way - the opponents once again have taken control of the conversation in the press. It shouldn't be Gun CONTROL, but rather Gun SAFETY that we are talking about.