OK

So here's the thing:

Once upon a time on this webblog, I was kind of a motherfucker. I used to argue with people and troll diaries I didn't like, and be the kind of asshole I would never associate with today, in 2014.

Things were rough for me, man. I had a very public (and rather embarrassing) falling out with my political love, Barack Obama. I was an Obama Girl from day one, dude. In 2007, the first time I heard him speak publicly, i wanted that guy to be POTUS, and I let everyone (EVERYONE!) know it. As a matter of fact, my e-mail at that time was "barackismycopilot".

No, I'm not even kidding.

So, right. I did not see what was actully there:  in Barack H. Obama, I saw a political amateur trying his best to make the big leagues, and lecturing people on how to act responsibly, and making all these big promises the man couldn't possibly keep ...

But I saw right through Obama, eventually, because I had simply projected every presidential fantasy I'd had into one package (Barack Obama), and I would do anything to protect that fantasy.

Which is where, I think, the word hubris comes in.

Hubris:

Hubris (ˈhjuːbrɪs, also hybris, from ancient Greek ὕβρις), means extreme pride or self-confidence. Hubris often indicates a loss of contact with reality and an overestimation of one's own competence, accomplishments or capabilities, especially when the person exhibiting it is in a position of power. The adjectival form of the noun hubris is "hubristic".

Perhaps I didn't (and don't) understand politics either, but I don't think that's what it is - at least not for me. The bottom line, I think, is that I don't have an over-inflated sense of ego. I never have had to contend with that, actually. I've always had the sense that I should be humble and cool if possible, and just kind of "there" in my approach to people.

There is nothing excellent or exaggeratedly awesome about me. I'm just this chick that sometimes likes to write on a political, sorta lefty blog, and sometimes she's successful. And by "successful", I mean widely read by the blog audience and used to interacting with them at any point in time.

I've had to deal with my fare share of assholes, guys. You probably have had no idea, but it gets exhausting sometimes.

Plus, ya know, I'm a fucking human being. Which, as you probably know, complicates everything tremendously because humans are such douchebags.

Anyway.

Of all my many faults and flaws, I don't think I suffer from a good amount of hubris. I think I'm healthy in my approach, which is that I have no idea wtf I am talking about a good 75% of the time and, the other 25% of the time, I could seriously give a fuck.

I'm probably sleeping.

EMAIL TO A FRIEND X
Your Email has been sent.